Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw (OJ)?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted.

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: It has become extremely difficult to book an open-jaw at the stopover. Best not to count on getting one.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: No.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a "free one-way" I can get on a UA award?
A: The term "free one-way" is a misnomer and often confuses people (and may annoy the regulars here!). The technical definition of this concept is "stopover at origin." There have been mixed reports recently about UA's willingness to ticket a stopover at origin.

Important Notes - PLEASE READ:

1. Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it. This is probably the number one error made in attempting to construct a complex itinerary. If you have more than two stops >24 hours on a roundtrip award, it is not legal and will not ticket.

2. An open jaw always creates a stopover, even if you're stopping for less than 24 hours.

3. Many awards are subject to segment or "transfer" limitations. For example, the North America to South Asia award is currently restricted to four transfers in each direction.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]
Print Wikipost

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Hilton, Marriott
Award tickets

What is the best way to acquire a round trip award ticket with a stopover and/or an open jaw? I've tried using the multi city feature after finding each flight I want but the pricing doesn't seem right. Im obviously missing some key piece of information. I am transitioning from Delta and this is my first time trying to use my United miles this way. If there is a tutorial or a previous discussion on a newbie level, I can follow a link and figure it out. Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i ticketed the following for 60k earlier this year:
BOS-IAD-ZRH-IST-FRA (no layovers longer than 24h)

stayed in FRA for a week

FRA-BOS

(all of the above has already been flown)

BOS-SFO (still to be flown in october)
i'm trying to change my final leg to BOS-ORD. i called in, and the agent put me on hold so that she could speak with the rate desk. i was then told that the agent who initially booked this made a mistake and that the last leg's "coupon" shouldn't even be honored, as my "circle trip" has terminated. however, UA will honor my last leg (but UA will not allow me to change it to BOS-ORD).

none of that made sense to me; i don't see why i wouldn't be able to change that last leg since it still originates in BOS. does anyone have advice perhaps on how to word my request to make it more concise to a phone agent?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i ticketed the following for 60k earlier this year:
BOS-IAD-ZRH-IST-FRA (no layovers longer than 24h)

stayed in FRA for a week

FRA-BOS

(all of the above has already been flown)

BOS-SFO (still to be flown in october)

i'm trying to change my final leg to BOS-ORD. i called in, and the agent put me on hold so that she could speak with the rate desk. i was then told that the agent who initially booked this made a mistake and that the last leg's "coupon" shouldn't even be honored, as my "circle trip" has terminated. however, UA will honor my last leg (but UA will not allow me to change it to BOS-ORD).

none of that made sense to me; i don't see why i wouldn't be able to change that last leg since it still originates in BOS. does anyone have advice perhaps on how to word my request to make it more concise to a phone agent?
UA has cracked down on the "free OW" or "free segment" on the end of a RT and generally is no longer allowing.

The standard policy on "invalid" bookings is to freeze the booking and allow no changes. You certain can try but likely your PNR has been tagged and commented concerning this issue -- will be surprised if you get an exception.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has cracked down on the "free OW" or "free segment" on the end of a RT and generally is no longer allowing.

The standard policy on "invalid" bookings is to freeze the booking and allow no changes. You certain can try but likely your PNR has been tagged and commented concerning this issue -- will be surprised if you get an exception.
good to know; will keep in mind. thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
In fact, I am surprised UA didn't try to claw back the last leg.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
In fact, I am surprised UA didn't try to claw back the last leg.
UA rarely "claw backs" an problematic itin (except for massive pricing errors -- such as 4 mile HKG or Danish currency error) but they do commonly freeze the itin.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt

This rise and fall of this UA award benefit has provided me with insights into the influence of social media. "Here's a Secret, Free Gimme from United Airlines!" from your friendly blogger at "TravelisUtterlyFreeandaFigmentofCreditCardChurnin g.com"
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:03 pm

And round-the-world award, too, is considered an invalid booking but honored those booked on the website.

After being frozen, date change (and transfer at another city or change airline, etc.) is still possible while I couldn't change stopover/openjaw or dep/arr cities at all.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
And round-the-world award, too, is considered an invalid booking but honored those booked on the website.
I think you mean 2-ocean trips or RT but traveling in single direction. True RTW are still valid but are much more expensive than RTs.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Yes, you can still occasionally book stopover at origin on the website, but good luck trying to change the date on that final segment

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 25, 2016 at 6:51 pm Reason: origin, not destination
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, you can still occasionally book stopover at destination on the website, but good luck trying to change the date on that final segment
I flew out of IAH up until about 7 years ago and was never able to get that extra leg
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question

I booked this itinerary in summer 2015 for a flight in October 2015 from US to Europe with stopover in LAX until March 2016 before leaving for Hawaii. It was 65K round trip:

lax-cle-ewr-jfk-bru-fco-cdg-ewr-lax-ogg

First attempt w/phone agent and got booking fee waived, didn't even have to ask.

2 open jaws and domestic stopover en route to Hawaii.

Any recent 2016 success stories with a similar itinerary? I heard UA agents are cracking down on what they like to refer to as "pricing errors" for these creative bookings.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:57 am

Trying to get an itinerary on united to price right and I think something is wrong

I can get NYC - PEK - NRT - NYC to price properly at 160k in J

however I actually want to fly NYC - NRT (stopover) - PEK - NYC and this is pricing at 200k, any idea why?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:56 am

Possible to add on 'free' stopover after booking award ticket?

Booked an open jaw roundtrip for my parents but realized a week later I could have booked them on a one way for a trip a few months down the road. Called United and agent said no, supervisor said it was allowed online 'but they will take more miles from your account at the time of your trip. I told her I had done this countless times and they didn't but she didn't budge.

Any magic number I can call? Any way to do it myself online? I checked and there is availability for the flight I need...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
Booked an open jaw roundtrip for my parents but realized a week later I could have booked them on a one way for a trip a few months down the road. ...
If this the "free OW" at the end of RT, as perusing this thread will show, UA has started restricting the use of this. Online you might be able to get something but the phone agents tend to pushback.

Any magic number I can call? ...
as mentioned, since UA considers this an abusive use of the program, few agents will be helpful.

... Any way to do it myself online? I checked and there is availability for the flight I need...
You can do an online change flight process BUT for other reasons this is a bad idea if partner flights are involved (unless inventory still exists).

As this is a change of origin/destination, unless the miles come from Plat or above elite's account, there will be change fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.