Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moedeli
Hi,
I had a flight with Lufthansa in Premium Economy and tried to credit the miles to my MP account. I received feedback that fares in class "K" are not eligible?! Is this really true? Many thanks!
Unfortunately true, LH and other carriers have chosen not to provide mileage for their lowest fare.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-even-0-a.html

Lufthansa MP earning chart -- note K is not listed and therefore earns 0%.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moedeli
Hi,
I had a flight with Lufthansa in Premium Economy and tried to credit the miles to my MP account. I received feedback that fares in class "K" are not eligible?! Is this really true? Many thanks!
Did you buy a Premium Economy ticket or upgrade? PE fare classes are G,E,N not K.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
1. It is not permitted in the UA CoC.
2. Whether they enforce it for one random flight is usually "no".

But without knowing your itinerary, whether you have international legs, and your checked bag situation, nobody can give you an answer.

Suggest asking to merge into the "dropping last leg" thread for better responses once you address the questions above.
Thanks for the response. The flights I'm taking about are as follows:
KHI> BKK> KTM 20k miles. I would drop the last leg and stay in BKK
KHI> BKK 35K miles

What are the possible ramifications?
Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Don't check bags. Make sure you don't slip about Nepali visas. As one can get at the airport that is what you can denote. Book one ways.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Is Star Alliance Gold status reflected on United tickets?

I was wondering if Star Alliance Gold status was reflected on United tickets? I have *G through Turkish Airlines but my UA ticket doesn't show *G and lists a baggage fee for the first bag.

I called United but the rep seemed unaware of the existence of Star Alliance let alone Gold benefits and said only airport could update the FF.

I was hoping to interline my bag from Taiwan on Eva Air (different ticket) but I doubt I could do that if the United ticket/PNR doesn't show *G status. I'm coming in from TPE and then have a LAX-PHX flight on a separate United ticket.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gobus
I was wondering if Star Alliance Gold status was reflected on United tickets? I have *G through Turkish Airlines but my UA ticket doesn't show *G and lists a baggage fee for the first bag.

I called United but the rep seemed unaware of the existence of Star Alliance let alone Gold benefits and said only airport could update the FF. ...
If the TK account is entered on the ticket, it should show. If not done at purchase, you can not do online -- will need an agent to add it to the ticket (note you can only have 1 account on the ticket at a time).

If it is an UA award ticket, it is hardwired to just be your UA account.

I was hoping to interline my bag from Taiwan on Eva Air (different ticket) but I doubt I could do that if the United ticket/PNR doesn't show *G status. I'm coming in from TPE and then have a LAX-PHX flight on a separate United ticket.
Does not require status on UA. If coming in on EVA / BR, you need to request it at checkin with EVA. If you wait to do at LAX, that is not interlining -- that is a new bag check-in.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does not require status on UA. If coming in on EVA / BR, you need to request it at checkin with EVA. If you wait to do at LAX, that is not interlining -- that is a new bag check-in.
Thanks. I only wondered about status because my UA ticket doesn't allow a free bag right now, so I wondered if BR agents in TPE would do the interlining given there are different baggage allowances listed for BR and UA (zero).

My tickets are separate and neither is an award ticket. If they don't check the bag to PHX, then I'll have to worry about checking it in separately at LAX.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:49 pm

Thanks. I only wondered about status because my UA ticket doesn't allow a free bag right now, so I wondered if BR agents in TPE would do the interlining given there are different baggage allowances listed for BR and UA (zero). ...
The different allowance is not a factor in interlining. In fact many times it can be a benefit of interlining.

My tickets are separate and neither is an award ticket. If they don't check the bag to PHX, then I'll have to worry about checking it in separately at LAX.
Interlining is up to BR.
With a UA non-award ticket you should be add to add your TK account to the record, either on the phone or at the airport(with UA agent).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:55 pm

The different allowance is not a factor in interlining. In fact many times it can be a benefit of interlining.
Got it! That was the part that I lacked in knowledge! I will try to see if BR will do the interlining at TPE.

My TK FF number is already on the UA PNR - it just doesn't show as *G for some reason and the rep wouldn't try to fix it (if it can be fixed). That's why I don't see the *G benefits. UA agent on the phone just said go to the airport at LAX.

Thank you for the help. Will try at TPE!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the TK account is entered on the ticket, it should show.
Stupid question, does it also work the other way: buy a ticket on TK but credit to UA. Will the TK ticket reflect my UA *G?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TomMM
Stupid question, does it also work the other way: buy a ticket on TK but credit to UA. Will the TK ticket reflect my UA *G?
So long as the account in the reservation has status it should show, regardless of which alliance partner sold the ticket or operates the flights. I've never had a problem receiving my *G benefits when flying on TK metal/tickets.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Yes, it should. But as in most cases, I'd travel with your UA *G card just in case.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Q1 - If I purchase a saver award, will they let me buy up to first class?

Q2 - If I purchase a saver award, will they let me buy up to econ comfort?

Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Q1 - If I purchase a saver award, will they let me buy up to first class?
Yes. You may pay a redeposit fee to buy up to first for extra miles, or at Online Check In you may get this option for cash.

Both of these are dependent on there being availability, obviously.

Q2 - If I purchase a saver award, will they let me buy up to econ comfort?

Thanks
Yes. You'll see that option immediately on your reservation after it's booked.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Thanks. But....

"OLCI"

me no understand OLCI, please educate me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.