Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Another indication is they are on both the BF and GF upgrade lists and the standby list. That is about a sure indication they are NRSA.
So that explains it. On INTL flights I've often seen the same name on the standby and upgrade lists and I could never figure out how that could happen.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Another indication is they are on both the BF and GF upgrade lists and the standby list. That is about a sure indication they are NRSA.
AND on coach standby as well @:-) That's how you can tell on 2 class aircraft

Originally Posted by TomMM
So that explains it. On INTL flights I've often seen the same name on the standby and upgrade lists and I could never figure out how that could happen.
Ya, had a couple of FAs (NOT that they mentioned that) traveling together who scored Biz, but separate seats, and very innocently asked me if I'd switch so they could sit together.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:38 pm

I flew just over 50K miles last year, most of it on BF international. I was Gold (and quite happy fine with that) but when I logged into my account yesterday, it showed I was 1K - a nice and welcome surprise from UAL.

I dont think I will get any GPU - as I didnt fly 100k miles but am just curious if others have any insights, etc. as to whether I can expect GPUs to post at some point? (Asking because my fiance works for a nonprofit and has to fly to India a few times a year and would love to be able to sponsor her upgrades!)

And FWIW, their strategy probably works as now I will probably only fly UAL (whereas before I spread out my domestic trips to fly whatever was cheapest).
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by kapstone
I flew just over 50K miles last year, most of it on BF international. I was Gold (and quite happy fine with that) but when I logged into my account yesterday, it showed I was 1K - a nice and welcome surprise from UAL.

I dont think I will get any GPU - as I didnt fly 100k miles but am just curious if others have any insights, etc. as to whether I can expect GPUs to post at some point? (Asking because my fiance works for a nonprofit and has to fly to India a few times a year and would love to be able to sponsor her upgrades!)

And FWIW, their strategy probably works as now I will probably only fly UAL (whereas before I spread out my domestic trips to fly whatever was cheapest).
It might be an error and go away quickly. I wouldn't count on the 1K status sticking around.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kapstone
I dont think I will get any GPU - as I didnt fly 100k miles but am just curious if others have any insights, etc. as to whether I can expect GPUs to post at some point?
FWIW, my GPUs and RPUs posted a couple of days before my status.

Originally Posted by helvetic
It might be an error and go away quickly. I wouldn't count on the 1K status sticking around.
+1
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Planning a SFO-RNO weekend getaway, and there's saver economy (XN) availability, but not for the flight time I want.

Would it be possible to book the XN on the later flight and SDC to the earlier flight? What about waitlisting for availability?

What are my chances of it working out?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Planning a SFO-RNO weekend getaway, and there's saver economy (XN) availability, but not for the flight time I want.

Would it be possible to book the XN on the later flight and SDC to the earlier flight? ...
maybe however could be as late as just before departure for the inventory to open up.

What about waitlisting for availability?...
Yes you can

... What are my chances of it working out?
Impossible to tell, watch the same flight, same day a few weeks out might give you a hint --- but any WX, irrops, travel spike, .... can change the picture quickly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2016 at 5:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During my last visit to a UC the agent thanked me for being a GS member. I was like whoa and quickly logged on to my MP account only to be brought back to reality
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
maybe however could be as later as just beore departure for the inventory to open up.

Yes you can

Impossible to tell, watch the same flight, same day a few weeks out might give you a hint --- but any WX, irrops, travel spike, .... can change the picture quickly.
Is it possible to book a flight at standard level and waitlist for saver? The only flight that is at the time I want is standard award. How would clearing at the lower price work? Does that ever work?

[Now that I have a stash of 700k miles and have never bought an award flight, it's time to start figuring that part of the game out.]
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is it possible to book a flight at standard level and waitlist for saver? ...
No
But you can manual rebook if the saver level does appear -- but no waitlisting.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:16 pm

Can get one-way award using United miles on ANA?

My understanding is that ANA (in its own mileage program) does not allow one-way awards.

Question: If I use my United miles for an award on ANA (United's partner airline) can I book a one-way award, or must it be a roundtrip?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by muji
If I use my United miles for an award on ANA (United's partner airline) can I book a one-way award
Yes.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Question: If I use my United miles for an award on ANA (United's partner airline) can I book a one-way award, or must it be a roundtrip?
One-way using United miles is no problem at all! One of the nice aspects of the MP program.

My understanding is that ANA (in its own mileage program) does not allow one-way awards.
That's correct. You can't even search for a one-way on NH. You can sort of getting around this by booking an open jaw (i.e., I want to fly SIN-HKG, I can book a one-way as SIN-BKK-HKG) but it's typically not a good value.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:32 pm

If I use my United miles for an award on ANA (United's partner airline) can I book a one-way award?
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes.
Originally Posted by Kacee
One-way using United miles is no problem at all!
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your help on this.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:47 pm

Is there a disadvantage to booking an award as two one-ways instead of a round trip, in case I decide to only take one of the directions and drive the other way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.