Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I flew out of BOS on Saturday morning to TPE, there was a GS agent at the gate that paged the GS passages by name so we could be pre-boarded without specifically announcing GS boarding. At SFO however they called for GS pre-boarding so there is some inconsistency in the procedure. Coming back from ICN about 10 days ago there were 8 or 9 GS passengers and they made a pre-boarding announcement, the largest number I've seen to date. My guess is UA is heading towards a lower profile on managing the GS passengers, a good idea IMHO.
Interestingly in SFO on Wednesday, they called me and two others up by name to preboard our plane to LAS.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
What you experience, in my opinion, is the best GS team in the US. BOS agents are awesome! Wish I had more occasion to fly in/out BOS just to enjoy them.
I agree. Boston is the only airport I've been called out ahead of time and thanked ahead of my flight, then ushered on board. I've only been there once, but they made me feel so special. I connect in Denver or SFO every week, and I'm just another traveler.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I agree. Boston is the only airport I've been called out ahead of time and thanked ahead of my flight, then ushered on board. I've only been there once, but they made me feel so special. I connect in Denver or SFO every week, and I'm just another traveler.
Had the personalized attention at IAH when boarding int'l as well as coming back from MEX and PVR. Results vary widely by location.... and I agree about DEN and SFO. Nothing special there.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:30 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I totally agree on the BOS team, my home base, nice people; contrary to the traditional stoic Yankee reputation. I've seen the same faces for years so they must have minimal turnover, which is key to the continuity required for great service.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Annie at BOS is a rockstar
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
I thought CPU was only on domestic flights?
Note I was waitlisted using a GPU - Global Premier Upgrade.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Had the personalized attention at IAH when boarding int'l as well as coming back from MEX and PVR. Results vary widely by location.... and I agree about DEN and SFO. Nothing special there.
My experience differs. SFO is great! I have been greeted upon landing on several occassions (coming off internaitonal flights).

EWR is also excellent and follow by IAH. Never really flown out of ORD or DEN to judge. IAD is usually my departing airport, so other than the great GS agents at the check-in decsk, I have not really experienced much.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My experience differs. SFO is great! I have been greeted upon landing on several occassions (coming off internaitonal flights).

EWR is also excellent and follow by IAH. Never really flown out of ORD or DEN to judge. IAD is usually my departing airport, so other than the great GS agents at the check-in decsk, I have not really experienced much.
LAX is the only place I've experienced the car service, which was excellent when provided. Tight connections at DEN and IAH, and terminal transfers at EWR have been met with, well, bupkis.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I had a great service day last week at ORD. We landed and sat in teh Penalty Box for about 15 minutes. My flight to DEN had just started boarding, I was not worried as we were parking only 3 gates away in B concourse. Suddenly with about 15 minutes left in boarding the engines throttle up and the pilot says we a gate just opened up in the C Concourse for us. This began to cause me a lot of worry. I looked out the window as we began to deplane, the car pulls up. I suspected it was for me and waited about 10 seconds for the agent to get to the top of the stairs. He was only there for me, and got me over to my flight in about 3 minutes. That took a great deal of stress off for me. Driver and agent were very nice and brought me bottled water and banana as he noted that he heard that breakfast had not been stocked on my previous flight. Truly great service.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
What you experience, in my opinion, is the best GS team in the US. BOS agents are awesome! Wish I had more occasion to fly in/out BOS just to enjoy them.
I regularly fly to/from Boston. In general I think the service has been good. I definitely wouldn't say its so great however. The UC lounge front staff is often indifferent and bad tempered, but they have been helpful on occasion. I have never been called out by name at a gate to board early, I board with the GS announcement. In general there is quite a scrum in front of the gates before boarding. I do like the new remodeled UC and gates but that doesn't have anything to do with the services.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I agree with the thought although it might be difficult to implement on domestic flights - there are just too many of them and too little overhead space. I find that on a lot of domestic flights there isn't enough overhead space for all of the first class passengers - too many people have large carry on bags. In my case, when I don't have a large carry on (and am not in a bulkhead seat), I board last.

I have never had an issue with overhead space on an international flight in business or first - I think because a lot more people check their bags on those flights.
Agree. I would be quite leery to trust a "board last with overhead space guaranteed" claim, especially on a domestic flight. I'd much rather take the hit of time by boarding early, knowing that I can put my bag above my seat than hoping that maybe there is a space above my seat later. I've seen plenty of cases where folks seated at the back of the plane come on during later boarding and just stuff their bag wherever they want on their trip down the aisle. Unless the FA are closely monitoring this, how would anyone know who's bag this was and if it should belong there. Boarding later seems like a recipe for disappointment to me.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Eadward
Agree. I would be quite leery to trust a "board last with overhead space guaranteed" claim, especially on a domestic flight. I'd much rather take the hit of time by boarding early, knowing that I can put my bag above my seat than hoping that maybe there is a space above my seat later. I've seen plenty of cases where folks seated at the back of the plane come on during later boarding and just stuff their bag wherever they want on their trip down the aisle. Unless the FA are closely monitoring this, how would anyone know who's bag this was and if it should belong there. Boarding later seems like a recipe for disappointment to me.
Many times, boarding first = more time to enjoy a glass of wine or a G&T before departing.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: United GS, IHG platinum,ElAl Top Platinum
has anyone ever had experience good or bad from the GS team in Tel Aviv?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by refson
Is TLV outsourced like DEL and BOM? There are no GS's at those stations.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by refson
Don't think there is a "team" there.

On my flight back to EWR a few months ago, the agent in charge told the gate security checker that I was GS and told him to let me on the plane first without any bag check. And he did. That was nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.