Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Or is this indicative of a lot of GS who gave up on UA last year and are now all over at DL?

We're seeing everyone getting GS but we're not seeing all the 2015 GS who are no longer in 2016.
Excellent point.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Excellent point.
Is this the thread for that kind of information.

Maybe Wiki for this thread shows the thread for what you need.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Excellent point.
Yes, there must be a lot of gnashing of teeth and wailing but where?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Seems like there will be a lot more GS this year, bar seems lowered...Will start finding out in a couple days
I don't think we can tell much from the 20-30 people who posted first time GS in the other forum. Many had high spend and I would have been amazed if they hadn't got it.

I personally new 5 people who got GS last year on less than 40K spend.

It will be interesting to see how many GS people line up for my Friday flight though.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I recevied a bottle of wine today from United thanking me for flying a lot with them in 2015. Not sure if this is a GS benefits, but want to post here to see if others have reveived the wine.

It is 2012 Beringer Vineyards Nappa Valley 'Private Reserve' Cabernet Sauvignon. Listed for $390 but solde through the Vinyard Website for $165.

Regarding some have observed that UA may have lowered GS qualfication threshold for 2016 based on the number of low spent (as listed in other thread), I am giving UA the benefit of doubt. I actually think premium cabin paying passengers are decreasing. I have flown United for over 20 years as a premium cabin flyer. The P and Z fares of 2015 on transpac routes are almost identical to the C/D fares I paid back in 1995. There were no P/Z fare back in 1995 and I understand there are differences between C/D and P/Z, but it seems market demand has created heavily discounted business fare categories. There were plenty of P/Z fares throughout of 2015.

A passenger spending $40K could mean ten transpac roundtrips in P or Z pending on routings and dates of the flights. 10 transpac flights in business for GS qualification is not really lowering the bar, IMHO.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Nice wine!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I recevied a bottle of wine today from United thanking me for flying a lot with them in 2015. Not sure if this is a GS benefits, but want to post here to see if others have reveived the wine.

It is 2012 Beringer Vineyards Nappa Valley 'Private Reserve' Cabernet Sauvignon. Listed for $390 but solde through the Vinyard Website for $165.

Regarding some have observed that UA may have lowered GS qualfication threshold for 2016 based on the number of low spent (as listed in other thread), I am giving UA the benefit of doubt. I actually think premium cabin paying passengers are decreasing. I have flown United for over 20 years as a premium cabin flyer. The P and Z fares of 2015 on transpac routes are almost identical to the C/D fares I paid back in 1995. There were no P/Z fare back in 1995 and I understand there are differences between C/D and P/Z, but it seems market demand has created heavily discounted business fare categories. There were plenty of P/Z fares throughout of 2015.

A passenger spending $40K could mean ten transpac roundtrips in P or Z pending on routings and dates of the flights. 10 transpac flights in business for GS qualification is not really lowering the bar, IMHO.
Thanks for at least telling us what you got, as opposed to another on 2015 thread a couple weeks ago.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:24 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Thanks for at least telling us what you got, as opposed to another on 2015 thread a couple weeks ago.
I got a bottle of wine yesterday, too - but it was a $90 (very highly rated) bottle from a great winery.

I'm *NOT* complaining, I'm quite happy with the gift and thought. Funny, though - wonder what drove them to pick the value of the bottle; UA_Flyer, I'm happy to compare our PQD's in private to see if there's any sort of correlation there.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

For economy award booked by GS miles, GS agent said that only GPU from the account holder can upgrade.

Is this new? I thought that anyone's GPU can upgrade it.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Can GS upgrade using GPU for int'l points ticket?

I know you can use RPU's on domestic points tickets... does the same apply for GPU's on international?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kb1992
For economy award booked by GS miles, GS agent said that only GPU from the account holder can upgrade.

Is this new? I thought that anyone's GPU can upgrade it.
This is consistent with what I have been told a few times before. Even for GS traveling on a reservation ticketed by another GS member's miles had to be upgraded with a GPU only from the mile-originating account.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Couple questions regarding upgrade benefit on GS award tickets:

- Do they upgrade domestic award reservations ticketed by a *A partner through CPU? e.g. SEA-ORD, miles redeemed from SQ

- Will they allow applying RPUs and GPUs on award reservations ticketed by *A partner? e.g. ORD-LHR, miles redeemed from SQ

Really hoping award ticket upgrades are possible only on UA-stock tickets...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
I know you can use RPU's on domestic points tickets... does the same apply for GPU's on international?
Yup, as long as it's a United metal you should be good to go. I used two going to Australia last year. But to answer the other questions--you can't use it on any other *A award tickets.

Last edited by laxff03; Jan 7, 2016 at 5:07 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Auracon
This is consistent with what I have been told a few times before. Even for GS traveling on a reservation ticketed by another GS member's miles had to be upgraded with a GPU only from the mile-originating account.
Hmm I have done upgrades before using 1K GPU to upgrade XN ticket using GS miles.

It was a year ago, though.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Auracon
I was once able to apply a GPU to a GS'ers award ticket booked with his/her miles, and I was a 1K. I think it's a manual process and YMMV depending on agent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.