Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Does telling people about GB mean that UA paid for food there? What would the $7 meal vouchers buy, anyhow?
Not sure. She didn't end up going there. But nothing else provided (blankets, toothbrush etc). Sounds like a classic united customer service failure to me.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Not sure. She didn't end up going there. But nothing else provided (blankets, toothbrush etc). Sounds like a classic united customer service failure to me.
Sounds like it, indeed. I always wonder why people put themselves through such misery, when escape to a bed in an airport hotel is just a few clicks or a phone call away?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Being a SFO flight, one can assume that there were some GS on the flight. I wonder what was done with them?

Would be interesting to find out.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Under these circumstances, I would have gone off the reservation, found my own airport area hotel and called in to rebook onto a SLC-SFO flight the next day.
Exactly. No way I'm spending the night in the terminal.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: 1k
UA 485 on 9/9 ORD-EWR, P fare. Inbound arrived at gate 5:20 late due to a mechanical at IAD, 485 ended up departing 4:33 late. At that point I had swapped onto UA 263, ORD-LGA at 5:10pm. Not ideal as it was an alternate airport further away, but as I was worried about crew time-out or additional mechanicals on 485 it was a good option for me.

In-flight the FA forgot to bring my meal. Long story but it was his first flight working first and he was flustered - when I asked where my meal was he looked panicked and said he forgot it and at that point there wasn't time so I said no worries.

Wrote to 1k voice and got $250 voucher for the delay / meal.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
UA 10/6 DCA-SFO-HNL paid F. DCA-SFO leg no seat power and issues with the wi-fi blocking email and some other messaging apps (which didn't matter when I quickly ran out of juice).

I never complain about anything other than matters that are a genuine inconvenience (in this case I planned on getting work done and part of the reason I paid F).

Wrote 1k voice and they gave me a $200 voucher for the issues.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
UA 448 DEN-LAS 10/10. Original plane was not working, so they moved us to another gate and we loaded. Ended up pushing back and then sitting on the plane for nearly an hour before returning to the gate and unloading. The changed planes again, we went to the other end of the concourse and loaded again. This time we pushed back, and after sitting for an hour, finally got on our way. I ended up getting to my Hotel at 3 AM (2 hour drive from LAS).

I was half expecting an email with some sort of offer, but nothing forthcoming. If I write in, should I expect any kind of offer on this for the delays caused by mechanical issues? I'm Silver.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:49 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
UA 448 DEN-LAS 10/10. Original plane was not working, so they moved us to another gate and we loaded. Ended up pushing back and then sitting on the plane for nearly an hour before returning to the gate and unloading. The changed planes again, we went to the other end of the concourse and loaded again. This time we pushed back, and after sitting for an hour, finally got on our way. I ended up getting to my Hotel at 3 AM (2 hour drive from LAS).

I was half expecting an email with some sort of offer, but nothing forthcoming. If I write in, should I expect any kind of offer on this for the delays caused by mechanical issues? I'm Silver.
It seems from your post that your delay was around two hours. The fact that you had to drive two hours has no bearing on compensation. I'd give you a 15 percent chance of getting anything.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
It seems from your post that your delay was around two hours. The fact that you had to drive two hours has no bearing on compensation. I'd give you a 15 percent chance of getting anything.
Actually, the delay was about 3 1/2 hours. Is there any sort of guideline they use here? I was expecting to get in around 11:00 PM to my destination, and instead arrived at 3:00 AM
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Actually, the delay was about 3 1/2 hours. Is there any sort of guideline they use here? I was expecting to get in around 11:00 PM to my destination, and instead arrived at 3:00 AM
Generally after 4 hours is when it becomes "automatic", though there seems to be some discretion between 3-4 hours, and under 3 hours is rare but not unheard of (i.e. me, and I wasn't even fishing for compensation, just expressing my disappointment with how it was handled)
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
FWIW I wrote in about a 75 minute delay earlier this year, albeit I was complaining about the lack of information from the crew and their refusal to provide us water, and I got 4,000 miles @:-)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looking for some suggestions for compensation. Pax is paid Business class customer, no status, but does multiple trips to Asia in J each year. This was UA's chance to win the customer's business and share with JAL, but they failed miserably and customer is unlikely to be back unless there is significant compensation.

Issue is last Thursday's #835 disaster from ORD to PVG, delayed a total of almost 9 hours. On top of this, their seat had no IFE audio, so nothing to do for the flight except twiddle their thumbs for 12+ hours....after doing the same for 9+ hours in the lounge.

I am thinking a minimum of 25,000 miles for each incident, for a total of 50,000 miles credited to their account, good for one round trip domestic F standard award.

Is this reasonable? I think anything less, the customer will never fly UA again, and knowing this customer, they really mean it - not to mention the horrible things they will post online to their very significant social following (a major influencer in fashion/lifestyle).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Looking for some suggestions for compensation. Pax is paid Business class customer, no status, but does multiple trips to Asia in J each year. T....

Is this reasonable? I think anything less, the customer will never fly UA again, and knowing this customer, they really mean it - not to mention the horrible things they will post online to their very significant social following (a major influencer in fashion/lifestyle).
Perhaps this is off-topic, but have you considered doing a status match for this client? United has been giving out elite status like candy at Halloween this year, and perhaps putting in for such a status match would improve the chances that the victim's potential for repeat business is taken more seriously?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Looking for some suggestions for compensation. Pax is paid Business class customer, no status, but does multiple trips to Asia in J each year. This was UA's chance to win the customer's business and share with JAL, but they failed miserably and customer is unlikely to be back unless there is significant compensation.

Issue is last Thursday's #835 disaster from ORD to PVG, delayed a total of almost 9 hours. On top of this, their seat had no IFE audio, so nothing to do for the flight except twiddle their thumbs for 12+ hours....after doing the same for 9+ hours in the lounge.

I am thinking a minimum of 25,000 miles for each incident, for a total of 50,000 miles credited to their account, good for one round trip domestic F standard award.

Very doubtful that you are going to get 50K miles out of this if recent datapoints are accurate. 25K or $500 might be realistic.

Does this person actually want to fly UA given all the other options to Asia? Seemlingly almost anything is better if money is no object...or even if it is...

Also 50K is a round trip saver F, not a round trip standard F (which would be 100K).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the threat of public humiliation will help the cause. OTOH could you provide us with a link to his "social presence" on the WWW so we can track the outcome? I googled "I am a fashion influencer and my flight to shanghai was delayed 9 hours and then my entertainment audio didn't work" and didn't find anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.