Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Thanks for the reply. I was rerouted IAD-PEK on Air China. I haven't applied for ORC yet, I intend to do this when I submit my request for compensation. Is there a different manner I should do this? Thank you for your advice.
Actually is a two step process. Contact Customer Care for the Compensation (use the online form)

And Mileage Plus Account Servicing for ORC..

Safe Travels
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:04 am

2016-01-15 UA960 EWR-FRA 6 hour delay after divert to BOS for a repair, 15k/$300
2016-01-18 UA963 TXL-EWR 6 hour delay after late inbound/crew rest issues, 7.5k/$150
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rmannion
2016-01-15 UA960 EWR-FRA 6 hour delay after divert to BOS for a repair, 15k/$300
2016-01-18 UA963 TXL-EWR 6 hour delay after late inbound/crew rest issues, 7.5k/$150
#1 is fair IMO.

#2 depends on the reason for the 'inbound delay' and how UA coded the delay. If 'operational difficulties' then EU reg261. If late inbound and this was weather/ATC then it might be low, but that's all you can get
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
These are just data points:
1) Non-status member flying on 1K miles. He missed connection at a hub, resulting in a 4+ hour later arrival at home (due to operational difficulties of the first flight). The offer was $150 in travel voucher.
2) Slightly non-operational lie-flat bed seat for a short flight (IAH-EWR), that is, the bed was only 170 degree flat. FA gave a "sorry for inconvenience" card. The offer was $75 in travel voucher for 1K member.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:57 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Howdy. I'm doing BDL - ORD - ABQ today. The ORD-ABQ flight has been delayed by 5:15+. (I just boarded, and am sitting in 1D amusing myself with flyertalk.) Mostly due to the inbound aircraft taking a 5 hour MX delay in STL, followed by crew timing out once they got to Chicago. "Operational difficulties", indeed!

Anyway, I'd be grateful for recommendations on the best way to request compensation after I land. I'm not really a big complainer, but this seems to warrant it. Email to 1Kvoice?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by y2chen
Apparently my dad (1K) was on this flight, haven't heard from him yet on any compensation. Will update when he checks.
On that 1/9 ORD-PVG flight that diverted to NRT, my dad's offer as a 1K was $175 or 8750 miles, so it sounds like just a tier below what GS was offered. PVG was also his final destination.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by QBK
Howdy. I'm doing BDL - ORD - ABQ today. The ORD-ABQ flight has been delayed by 5:15+. (I just boarded, and am sitting in 1D amusing myself with flyertalk.) Mostly due to the inbound aircraft taking a 5 hour MX delay in STL, followed by crew timing out once they got to Chicago. "Operational difficulties", indeed!

Anyway, I'd be grateful for recommendations on the best way to request compensation after I land. I'm not really a big complainer, but this seems to warrant it. Email to 1Kvoice?
Email 1KVoice. My guess would be $150 for a domestic 5hr delay.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:43 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by cfischer
Email 1KVoice. My guess would be $150 for a domestic 5hr delay.
Thanks -- I'll follow up with what's offered when I know. In the meantime... for your amusement:
1. The flight finally made it. But somehow catering managed to deliver F meals that were literally frozen solid. Like, my teeth went "clunk, clunk" on the chicken wrap. Out of 6 pax in F, every single one ended up returning the meal uneaten, because they were literally inedible. Not "I wouldn't want to eat this" but "It is physically impossible to eat this."
2. Halfway through the flight, the reading light fell out of the ceiling and hit me in the head. Not a big deal, but... geez.
3. Upon landing, I had an automated email from the "Proactive Service Recovery Team", apologizing and directing me to the "Appreciation" site. I was impressed! Until I clicked through, all the way to the end of the process, where it addresses me by name, apologizes for the specific issue, and says "We'd like to offer you a token of our appreciation" ... and then the site errors out. Bork. Nothing.

Oh, United.

(Hey, I got to my destination. Eventually. It's a good reminder that that's all I should expect.)
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
I think I've hit a new low from United. ORD-FLL on 1/15 was delayed 3.5 ours due to MX. We were so worried that we asked an agent at UC to protect us on the following flight - which they did. Our flight finally left after 3.5 delay. However, they were forced to take a longer route due to weather in FLL and ran out of fuel(keep in mind, total distance was less than ORD-SFO or ORD-LAX where this plane came from) - so they diverted to RSW instead to refuel.

And, of course, the wonderful UA reservation system did not properly cancel the subsequent flight I was protected on and promptly cancelled our return flight which I caught 24 hours later and had to call 1K desk to rebook.

All-in-all, arriving FLL 5+ hours late while paying the premium for early AM flight to FLL, we were offered $100 cert/each or 5k miles(both are 1K).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by compwhiz
I think I've hit a new low from United. ORD-FLL on 1/15 was delayed 3.5 ours due to MX. We were so worried that we asked an agent at UC to protect us on the following flight - which they did. Our flight finally left after 3.5 delay. However, they were forced to take a longer route due to weather in FLL and ran out of fuel ....
Did your plane actually run out of fuel? An unpowered landing is definitely worth more than $100.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by transportprof
Did your plane actually run out of fuel? An unpowered landing is definitely worth more than $100.
No, they said they were running out of fuel and thus had to be diverted. Certainly wasn't as dire as unpowered landing... Sorry for confusion
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
1859 ORD - SFO on Sunday. Delayed 1.5 hours because of ATC in SFO, not UA's fault but pax already frustrated. While boarding, FA announces (with what sounded like sincere empathy) that Wifi wasn't functional either. Not that they had streaming entertainment, but my chance at getting some work done was now shot. Gonna be a long flight over to SFO with nothing but the dark sky to look at.

Wrote to 1K voice expressing my frustration. Less than 24 hours later I got a response saying they were sorry about the broken Wifi and that a goodwill gesture ($100 ecert) would follow.

Did like the canned language at the end, I've never seen it before:

"Your Premier 1K status clearly demonstrates your loyalty to United Airlines. Please be assured your satisfaction and business are most important to us; and we look forward to serving you on future flights."
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Seat Light not working on a mainline flight. $75 E-Certs or 3750 miles

What should I take?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
By coincidence, I just posted this in response to another question and thought it might be of interest here too:

I had 2 recent long haul 787 flights in a row with no entertainment or wifi for the entire flight. The F/A gave us the certificates where we were given a choice of miles or a monetary amount. Most recently, I had a trip booked with a family member over the holidays when weather prevented the aircraft from getting from the East Coast to the West Coast. I received a text that my flight had been cancelled due to system problems so I thought there would be enough time to rebook. I could not get through to the 1k line for over 2 hours. Additionally, United.com had a message on the home page that I had been rebooked with other members of my party and to click the box for details. Upon clicking the box, I only received an error message and my original reservation still showed the original itinerary on schedule! I had no alternative, but to buy tickets on another airline or risk not getting out that day to meet other family members on vacation. I saved a screen shot of the website saying I had been rebooked that was not working and also had my call history on my phone. After my trip, I called 1k Customer Care and they said that it was not handled properly and they gave me a travel credit for the 2 tickets I had to buy on another carrier. They also asked me to send the screen shots to Customer Care so they could send it to the proper channels to fix the bug. I also received a very nice apology email after sending it in. As a side note, I frequently compliment people too-- so hopefully my "permanent record" shows that I take the good and the bad of the relationship. I just wish it was not so much bad in recent months.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Whizkid
Seat Light not working on a mainline flight. $75 E-Certs or 3750 miles

What should I take?
It is more like a personal preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.