Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
51/50 does not indicate an oversell, it is a common display issue.
Common display issue? What does it show if it IS overbooked?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
it shows 'full' when it is full. It can show 55/50 and it is not overbooked. Don't ask me why. This is an app/website display issue
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
You’d have more than 50 checked in if it were oversold.

The number of booked passengers seems to double-count some pax. I don’t think we’ve ever figured out why.
SPN Lifer, canadiancow and findark like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_71
Just picked up a hoping mad Mrs. SFO_71. Gate agent flat out lied and said an aircraft change resulted in the problem. Fact it a second passenger had been assigned her seat, and they didn't want to fix it. She had to wait 20 minutes in the galley before the captain got off the plane and grabbed a gate agent. The gate agent promised they'd send an email to us for compensation: nothing. (super_bad)^N customer service from this gate agent and United. And a screen shot showing that they overbooked Business by 1. I wonder if UA Insider can weigh on this?

flight details
You can't tell from those screenshots.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
it shows 'full' when it is full. It can show 55/50 and it is not overbooked. Don't ask me why. This is an app/website display issue
It is a web display issue only, not the app. The app can't display anything more than "full" because of the coding behind the display. Meanwhile the website can double-count certain pax (seems to be related to upgrades as best as we're able to determine). But as jsloan correctly pointed out, look to the number of "check ins" which tells you it was checked in to capacity.

-RM
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Should I ask for more compensation?

On a recent domestic flight (5+ hours), the plane changed to a 767-300, with the 40+ Polaris seats from a 757-200 and I was consequently upgraded, through a CPU, about 5 hours before departure time. My mom, without status, who was on the same flight, upgraded through the use of the points, now that seats were available on that flight. We were both confirmed next to each other, which was great.

On my way to boarding the flight, I scanned my boarding pass and was downgraded to economy. I then asked the GA what is going on, and she said that the plane had been changed back to a 757-200 and I should see a compensation ETC of $800 in my email. Sure it was there, but my mom was still in business. I did not want to hold up the boarding process and just accepted my fate.

If I knew all this, I would never have upgraded my mom with miles in the first place nor would I have given up my business seat to sit next to my mom for $800. I am wondering if I should even ask for more, given the fact that there was no time or room to negotiate this amount. If it matters I am 1K.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:55 am

The amount of compensation is standardized by UA policy (search here for GG OVS DOWNGRADE, if memory serves) depending on flight length. Count yourself lucky that the GA knew the rules properly and issued the travel certificate. If the certificate is really $800, they might have adjusted the amounts, again. I had a similar on-board experience and had to argue at length after the fact (10 emails) to get the right compensation as described by UA policy.
uanj, ContinentalFan and azfanboy like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by azfanboy
On a recent domestic flight (5+ hours), the plane changed to a 767-300, with the 40+ Polaris seats from a 757-200 and I was consequently upgraded, through a CPU, about 5 hours before departure time. My mom, without status, who was on the same flight, upgraded through the use of the points, now that seats were available on that flight. We were both confirmed next to each other, which was great.

On my way to boarding the flight, I scanned my boarding pass and was downgraded to economy. I then asked the GA what is going on, and she said that the plane had been changed back to a 757-200 and I should see a compensation ETC of $800 in my email. Sure it was there, but my mom was still in business. I did not want to hold up the boarding process and just accepted my fate.

If I knew all this, I would never have upgraded my mom with miles in the first place nor would I have given up my business seat to sit next to my mom for $800. I am wondering if I should even ask for more, given the fact that there was no time or room to negotiate this amount. If it matters I am 1K.
I'm not really understanding why you would ask for more. You didn't give up a business seat. You got upgraded due to a plane change -- then went back to economy due to a plane change back. You made off with $800. And your mom got a nice lie flat. Be happy for mom, man.
azfanboy likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This sort of downgrade, due to equipment change, is not covered by GG OVS DOWNGRADE. If it had been a supported upgrade, while not cover by GG OVS DOWNGRADE, generally would be addressed, but not CPU

If as CPU you get any compensation, you were lucky

And $800 is not a normal comp value, see wiki
SPN Lifer and azfanboy like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2023 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azfanboy
I am wondering if I should even ask for more
No. You were overcomped.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Thank you for all the feedback and yes I was very happy for mom.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Not a downgrade in technical terms, but 20 hours before flight time 767-300 was just changed to a 767-400. Now we'd all consider the old non-polaris seats a serious downgrade...but will UA care? Unfortunately not sure I have the flexibility to wait a day...and who knows they could pull the same thing again...
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Not a downgrade in technical terms, but 20 hours before flight time 767-300 was just changed to a 767-400. Now we'd all consider the old non-polaris seats a serious downgrade...but will UA care? Unfortunately not sure I have the flexibility to wait a day...and who knows they could pull the same thing again...
Obviously not a 'downgrade' and no ... UA will not provide any compensation here
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Obviously not a 'downgrade' and no ... UA will not provide any compensation here
Don’t think the eye roll was needed…it’s clearly a downgrade in terms of comfort, but that’s why I said “technically” not a downgrade. Too bad the waitlist is empty or at least some folks would be happy with the higher capacity…
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:39 am

Upgrade revoked

I was sent a text message saying I had received an upgrade with a seat number. Half an hour later, when I got to the airport, I found out that I had been put back in my original seat and was now #8 on the upgrade list. Is it common for United to revoke an upgrade? I was puzzled by this, and my best guess is that a lot of GS people missed another flight and were put on this one (I am 1K). But I had never had an upgrade revoked for any reason before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.