Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by UAkls
Just bought a ticket ORD-SFO next month. It is (a rarity) on an 747. After purchasing it offered upgrade to first for $199, which I grabbed (assuming it would be put me in business). Surprisingly, it put me in 2K. Quite a deal. This happened to me back in January, but I assumed it was a mistake/fluke.
Same thing happened to me upthread in post #68. Seems like the upsell engine doesn't care what the equipment is.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to seat 1A on the 744 in roughly eleven hours!
Old May 2, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Great deal! How far out from the day of dept did you receive this offer?
I got it about a week and a half out!
Old May 5, 2016, 4:11 pm

Buying up to BF SFO --> LHR or LAX-->LHR

Hi there. I am trying to understand how possible and a ballpark re how much it would be to buy up to BF either going from LAX-->SFO (preferred) or SFO --> LAX. This is for July.

I actually have a LHR - IAD ticket right now for a separate trip in July, and I can't even see that there is any way to buy up. I can see where I can upgrade using miles and cash, but not the pure cash buy up. (It's grayed out.)

So, what I am wondering is:
- Is the cash buy up option just sometimes not available? Or do they just "activate it" closer to the time the flight is supposed to go?
- Is there any way to tell if there will be a buy up available in advance?
- Anyone have a ballpark estimate on what a 1 way buy up would be?

This is for business, so I don't want to use any of my personal miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Roar
I actually have a LHR - IAD ticket right now for a separate trip in July, and I can't even see that there is any way to buy up. I can see where I can upgrade using miles and cash, but not the pure cash buy up. (It's grayed out.)
You have to call and ask. I do this quite a bit. The change fee is waived when moving up a cabin, so you're paying only the difference in fare. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-gg-buyup.html
Old May 5, 2016, 4:25 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Roar
Hi there. I am trying to understand how possible and a ballpark re how much it would be to buy up to BF either going from LAX-->SFO (preferred) or SFO --> LAX. This is for July.

So, what I am wondering is:
- Is the cash buy up option just sometimes not available? Or do they just "activate it" closer to the time the flight is supposed to go?
- Is there any way to tell if there will be a buy up available in advance?
- Anyone have a ballpark estimate on what a 1 way buy up would be?

This is for business, so I don't want to use any of my personal miles.

Thanks in advance.
test
Old May 6, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
IAD-SEA 12.5k award ticket (~$30 in fees/taxes due to close-in ticketing) -> $249 upgrade to F. Not a widebody but I felt like this was a pretty decent offer for a 5-6 hour flight. RT non-award fare was > $1,000.

I had not seen this before, but not only was I offered the buy-up at checkin, when I went to the seat map to see what was open in F I saw that I could mouse-over the open F seats and the popup contained the upgrade offer including price. Concerns about CPUers left out by ToD upgraders aside, it struck me from a web user experience standpoint as a pretty good way to market the upgrades - just click to buy that nicer seat.

Last edited by CarlTheWebmaster; May 6, 2016 at 7:07 am Reason: Left out a word.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by stimpy
IAD-ORD U-Class. I took the $89 offer.
This leg ended up posting in A class, so 200% PQM and 1.5 PQS.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA
LHR - SFO
B fare
OLCI offer $649

This was a happy ending to a painful rebooking process. Emergency cancellation of a K fare four days out where a 20K miles + $500 upgrade was a high probability. Rebooking the K fare to one day out was > $3200; canceling and rebooking in B was $1000 less. Under 24h so upgrade with miles was impossible.

With 29 of 48 open seats in J, website showed a fare-difference upgrade of $8769. OLCI offered $649. Done!

Does the expensive B class ticket play into the low upgrade price?

As an aside, the asymmetry of upgrade availability and overall load from SFO-LHR vs. LHR-SFO is striking. Among a few coworkers regularly on this route, we have a near 100% success rate in upgrades (miles + dollars) on LHR-SFO and, all being low status, an exactly 0% success rate in reverse. When and how do all the GS and 1Ks fly back?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by jato
As an aside, the asymmetry of upgrade availability and overall load from SFO-LHR vs. LHR-SFO is striking. Among a few coworkers regularly on this route, we have a near 100% success rate in upgrades (miles + dollars) on LHR-SFO and, all being low status, an exactly 0% success rate in reverse. When and how do all the GS and 1Ks fly back?
I imagine there's more demand for business seats on SFO-LHR since it's an overnight flight?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
I imagine there's more demand for business seats on SFO-LHR since it's an overnight flight?
Noticed the same on other TATL Eastbounds as well. US-based business travellers fly to EU to work and want to be as rested as possible. To a lesser degree on the way back, which are daytime flights as well.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, A-Club Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador
Originally Posted by jato
LHR - SFO
B fare
OLCI offer $649

I got the $649 LHR - SFO on checkin last week. Return upgrades really depend on the day, almost all my Weds SFO - LHR requests clear, generally M or B fares though, far lower on Thursdays.
Old May 7, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
UA950 IAD-BRU
U fare
$1529 at OLCI (T-24)
Declined. Going to see if it's lower at the kiosk but given that I have a pretty good E+ seat and the only seats left in BF are middles, I doubt I'll bite.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
May 8th
UA 906 FRA - ORD
$829 J-F

Declined - don't sleep this direction and have good J seat - GF was filled with non-rev but surprisingly some non-revs (that didn't make J) were stuck in economy while there are open J seats....
Old May 8, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA, SW (Gold), MC
May 8th
UA743 EWR-ORD
$129 Y to F

ACCEPTED
Bought it yesterday on mobile check-in, changing my seat from 37K (second row from the back) to 2K (second row from the front). Thought it was a much better deal than the $79-$89 they originally wanted just to get to E+.

Did I tell you this was an internationally-configured 767 and my favorite GF seats are starboard side window seats? After lunch was served, I had time for a quick lie-flat bed nap.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:21 am

We have never flown from USA to Europe...so no idea if this is a decent deal or not...

SAT - IAD - FCO booked economy plus

Offer is 20,000 miles plus $550, for each flyer to move to business class on 777-200.

Only outside seats with 2 together are row 10 on both sides of plane.

Current one way price for those seats are about $4,200 each.

Is this a decent deal for an overnight flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.