Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
UA819 IAH-EZE June 2016

Dinner (apologies for the poor lighting that makes the food look worse than it is)
Name:  thumb_IMG_2644_1024.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  121.0 KB

Rice with beans and chicken with some sort of sauce. That hunk of yellow stuff in the middle was plantains which were probably the best part of the meal. Overall was rather decent.

Grain(?) salad was unremarkable and not really a fan.

Is it just me or do the portions seem to have gotten smaller?

(Enhanced?) Breakfast
Name:  thumb_IMG_2646_1024.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  138.5 KB
Warm croissant (not as substantial as it looks) and yoghurt
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The pre-arrival sandwich at least ex-FRA has been replaced with a cheaper alternative. Not nearly as good as the old pretzel roll.

(and yes, I had liked the pretzel roll so much I would ask for it instead of the Global First or BusinessFirst pre-arrival meal)
Economy has real silverware in a real napkin and a real bowl for the fruit? That's a step up. Or did this get in the wrong thread? (this is the economy class dining thread)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Baze
Economy has real silverware in a real napkin and a real bowl for the fruit? That's a step up. Or did this get in the wrong thread? (this is the economy class dining thread)
Of course that is not economy, but the pictured sandwich is from economy class, which was made clear in my post.

UA has downgraded the pre-arrival sandwich served in economy class form something I looked forward to (something I liked so much I ordered it even if flying in a premium cabin) to something that is not worth eating. That was the point and that is pretty sad.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Economy Class meals to and from Dulles/Narita

NRT - IAD Main meal. Nasty pasta.

NRT - IAD Second meal before landing. I really don't know what it was. Looks like vomit.

IAD - NRT Chicken Teriyaki.

Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course that is not economy, but the pictured sandwich is from economy class, which was made clear in my post.

UA has downgraded the pre-arrival sandwich served in economy class form something I looked forward to (something I liked so much I ordered it even if flying in a premium cabin) to something that is not worth eating. That was the point and that is pretty sad.
Sorry, may have been clear to you but wasn't to me that the sandwich was from economy. Thanks for making it clear in your response.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
NRT - IAD Second meal before landing. I really don't know what it was. Looks like vomit.

It looks like a very bad attempt at Oyakodon ("chicken and egg rice bowl") and looks pretty vile. No idea why ex-NRT catering is so bad on UA in Y.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by truncated
(Enhanced?) Breakfast
Attachment 15610
Warm croissant (not as substantial as it looks) and yoghurt
Definitely enhanced over a prepackaged cold croissant with the jam packet.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:47 pm

Post UA 48 EWR BOM Experience

United club is renovated but the food is not so good. Had beer & cheese
Boarding as usual. About an hour after the flight they served drinks & food together (BAD). Wine is complimentary in Economy. Dinner: Channa Masala (Chick peas curry) with Ginger Garlic Rice and Aloo Gobi (Potato Cauliflower), Salad and Rasmalai (Thickened sweet milk) for dessert. Non Veg option was Chicken in Mushroom sauce.. I believe they serve Indian only as a veg option. Entertainment was decent selection but the screen is small and old age.. United Listening?? They don't wake you for mid night snack - I got it from the galley - Cheese sticks with crackers and glass of juice. 2 hours before landing is breakfast (One is damn hungry after eating this amazing meal with super large portions - Being sarcastic). Non veg was sausage and egg.. I opted for vegetarian - Mini samosa, and Sago Khichdi - BAAAD stuff. With a portion of fruits and yogurt. Thats all they serve in a 15 hour flight. Have traveled many airlines but this one is extremely pathetic in terms of meal. I continue to travel UA 48 for its non stop service and the status. 1st timers please pack food and snacks.. Hope the attache pictures help.
Attached Images    
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:47 am

UA818 EZE-IAH 7/31

Dinner - choice of beef and potatoes or chicken and rice; after 2 months in Argentina didn't feel like beef so went for the chicken - really bad decision on my part, was basically rubber and rice with not much flavour.

Name:  thumb_IMG_2780_1024.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  120.3 KB

Only saving grace was the Goose Island IPA hiding in the right hand side of the photo. Tried the Four Star Pils after dinner, not really a fan of that.

"Breakfast" - croissant and strawberry yoghurt.
Name:  thumb_IMG_2781_1024.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  108.5 KB

UA79 EWR-NRT 2/8

Lunch - teriyaki chicken (presumably the same as the one posted upthread) or cheese ravioli with Swiss chard. Was in 44K so the chicken ran out one row before it got to me - even though catering loaded 154 chicken and 60 pasta for the flight (saw the list pinned up in the galley). Ravioli was surprisingly good though - sauce was spicy and decent.

Salad was the usual quinoa mess (that appears 4 times on this page!) - haven't gotten any other salad ex-US in all my flights since meals were upgraded, which makes me suspect that UA has only this one type of salad lol - has anyone gotten anything else? Dessert was salted caramel gelato which was served with the meal and half-melted by the time I got to it.

Name:  thumb_IMG_2783_1024.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  154.9 KB

Midflight snack was a turkey and cheese sandwich/roll about the size of my fist and a packet of M&Ms lol.

Breakfast - cheese omelette with sausage or noodles with edamame. Again they ran out of the Asian option before they got to my row. Omelette was fine, but I can't stand the damn cookie that comes with every TPAC breakfast in Y - just screams cheap and I'm surprised it didn't get enhanced away when meals were upgraded back in 2015.

Name:  thumb_IMG_2784_1024.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  143.3 KB

Also just for comparison's sake here was dinner - eel(!) and egg on rice - on the connecting flight NH845 NRT-SIN (RIP UA803 but not really):

Name:  thumb_IMG_2785_1024.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  114.7 KB

Oh UA you can do so much better...

Last edited by truncated; Aug 9, 2016 at 1:51 am Reason: quinoa salad
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Hmm, I was not aware that a thread for Y meals existed, so no photos unfortunately.

In mid-July, I flew EWR-LHR. Choices were either Turkey Meatloaf, or Vegetarian. I chose the turkey meatloaf. It was... well, I've microwaved things that looked better than that. Taste-wise it was alright. Not delicious, but it wasn't too bad.

The turkey meatloaf had barbecue sauce on it, and it was on a bed of some sort of sauté'ed greens. I couldn't identify them, but they were ok. All of this was swimming in a puddle of mashed sweet potatoes. There was a cold roll with cold butter. There was also a wheat berry salad which was excellent! Dessert was a small ice cream cup. I don't remember the brand (red cup), but the texture and flavor reminded me of Haagen Dazs.

Pre-arrival snack was a turkey finger sandwich.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 963 TXL-EWR, 9/4/16
767-400, seat 17A

Snack was a bag of pesto breadsticks, and the lunch options were a Thai chicken curry and some pasta dish I did not get (my seatmate did, and it looked a little dried out).

There's a reason so much frozen food is based around stir fries; they store and reheat incredibly well. I would get this one again. I'm not sure about having couscous and lettuce in the same tiny container, but eating them separately worked fine.

Dessert was a honey and ginger vanilla ice cream, and the pre-arrival snack was the usual processed-turkey and cheese sandwich.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:04 pm

I'm assuming the lunch roll was cold?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
I'm assuming the lunch roll was cold?
Always hot IME.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:13 pm

Always hot IME.
Sorry I was referring to the roll that was served with the main meal. IME it has never been warm and I try to put it on top of the entree with the butter to get it warmer.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Sorry I was referring to the roll that was served with the main meal. IME it has never been warm and I try to put it on top of the entree with the butter to get it warmer.
Correct, and I do the same warming hack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.