Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fzhfzh
Flying from SFO to NRT to SIN in GF, there's a japanese meal choice in special meal selection. Anyone know if it's any good?
I like to take the Japanese meal to/from TYO. You don't need to request it in special meals it'll be offered.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by fzhfzh
Flying from SFO to NRT to SIN in GF, there's a japanese meal choice in special meal selection. Anyone know if it's any good?
Honestly in that direction it's been hit or miss for me - much higher probability of solid meal on the way back IME....
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 90 EWR-TLV, 1/22
777-200, seat 10A

I got a seat up front because a) moving my flight from Saturday to Friday to escape the blizzard somehow put me in a B fare bucket that did not require a copay on a mileage upgrade, b) the plane was half-empty from misconnects and cancellations, and c) I was willing to wait on hold for half an hour to get MP customer service to wait-list the upgrade the site would not allow, d) the gate agent was willing to spend another 10 minutes on the phone while thumbwrestling with SHARES to get the system to take the miles off my hands.

It all paid off when I did not get the same old menu as ever... because it was in Hebrew as well as English. Okay, it was the same old menu.

Appetizer was smoked salmon with maple-horseradish mustard (I paired that with some garlic bread), salad was "Fresh Seasonal Greens" (when they brought the bread basket around again, I had to get a pretzel roll), and the entree choices were the tenderloin of beef, the Cajun-style chicken breast, the Newburg-style seafood and the mezzaluna pasta.

I went with prior endorsements here and got the chicken, which was pretty great. I would get it again, and I suppose if I have another freak upgrade come through I will have that option. Far as I could tell, they only had one kind of white and red wine; both were fine, but not good enough for me to want to get the name of each.

Breakfast the next morning started with another smoked-salmon appetizer, followed by some delicious scrambled eggs and potato gratin.

Catering issues aside, this was good service. We had some beyond-moderate chop during the entree course, to the point that I was keeping one hand on my wine glass to ensure it did not take flight itself, but the FAs kept checking up on us anyway.

I'd attach some photos, but the site's complaining about a missing security token. I'll try again tomorrow. Edit: Done. No photo of the main course, because the chop left that shot too blurry.
Attached Images     

Last edited by DCA writer; Feb 5, 2016 at 9:25 am
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
HND-SFO Meal Service?

I'm on the HND-SFO flight in C in early March, with a scheduled departure time of 12:20 AM. The meal service is listed Dinner. Do they really do a full dinner service at that time or is it scaled down?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
UA 90 EWR-TLV, 1/22
777-200, seat 10A

Okay, it was the same old menu.

...and the entree choices were the tenderloin of beef, the Cajun-style chicken breast, the Newburg-style seafood and the mezzaluna pasta.

... Far as I could tell, they only had one kind of white and red wine; both were fine, but not good enough for me to want to get the name of each.

Of course those were the entree choices, what else. I wonder which decade the menus are due for change.

Flyer Friendly on the wine.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill
I'm on the HND-SFO flight in C in early March, with a scheduled departure time of 12:20 AM. The meal service is listed Dinner. Do they really do a full dinner service at that time or is it scaled down?
Fyi, had a full dinner service on GIG-IAH 11h27 p.m. departure the other day. Probably will be full dinner service on your flight as well.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I took that flight in C last March. They served a late night snack (last year, it was katsu or a sandwich) after departure and turned the lights on for a full (the usual 5 courses with choice of 4 mains) dinner service about 2.5 hours before arrival at SFO. This was definitely the right way to do it. Enjoy the flight!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by aindfan
I took that flight in C last March. They served a late night snack (last year, it was katsu or a sandwich) after departure and turned the lights on for a full (the usual 5 courses with choice of 4 mains) dinner service about 2.5 hours before arrival at SFO. This was definitely the right way to do it. Enjoy the flight!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by aindfan
That makes perfect sense, actually. Much better than doing it the opposite (main meal followed my pre-arrival snack) way.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Anyone been on flights to/from Australia this month & recall the menu?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:29 pm

8 February 2016
UA 84: EWR - TLV
Attached Images   

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2016 at 3:14 pm Reason: removed IMG tags from excessively large images
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Hey! Recently flew BF for two flights.

First, UA1005 LIM-EWR. Didn't get a full meal, not sure if because the flight departed almost at midnight, or because it was too short (7.5h). Chose the breast of chicken, the rice had a peruvian-ish flavor. The flan (yes, it was basically a flan) was delicious. The fruit was not ripe, at all.

Then, flew UA160 MUC-IAH. This time I got a full meal. The salad had a passion fruit dressing, and it tasted delicious (maybe because we love passion fruit in Peru? :P). I got the omelette, just for reference. I'm glad I did, because the tenderloin of beef of my seatmate was completely raw, the center was blue. The sundae had caramel, strawberries and whipped cream. Got the salmon as the pre-arrival meal.

The photos are in the process of being uploaded (if I wait until they upload the post will time out, so will be editing it. Just happened and have to start over now!) The photos of the sundae and salmon will be posted in a following post, since I'm gonna hit the 10 attachment limit.

Enjoy!
Attached Images           

Last edited by joseeantonior; Feb 9, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: Added images
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
And adding the sundae and salmon pictures here...

If you have any questions feel free to ask I had a great meal, though. First time in BF and had a great experience.
Attached Images   
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
SIN-NRT Yesterday

Stopped by SQ Silverkris Lounge to get my usual Singaporean breakfast before my UA morning flight.

UA's menu has not changed for months.

Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
NRT-IAH Yesterday

Again, I stopped by Global First Lounge to get my usual sushi fix before boarding. I have decided to skip ice cream as much as I could...but I just can't say no to cheese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.