Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The 2016 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread!:)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread!:)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Smile The 2016 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread!:)

Here is the tenth annual “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread!

If you are new to FT or an old timers that needs a refresher, here is the drill:

We have been having this thread for the last nine years for FTers on United Forum to share travel stories on how status were obtained during the year, what are the flying patterns, why we travel, where we have flown to, etc. It is also a place for newcomers to introduce themselves to the Forum, and old timers to share their travel pattern in the past 12 months. Most important of all, tell us about your travel projection for the upcoming 2016 year.

This has been a different year! We have just experienced the minimum spent threshold for qualifying 2015 elite status (PQD). Our beloved airlines seemed to have been performing on par with peers financially. Lower oil price has given UA positive results. Newly improved caterings and lounge offerings seem to get positive reviews this year, but lack of upgrade spaces and saver awards have become our primary concerns. It is possible there is going to be a large number of elites as result of higher PQM for premier cabin paying passengers in the upcoming year. 2016 could be another defining year for many loyal UA flyers and United.

The links to the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 threads are listed below. It is interesting to go back and reflect on what had changed in our travel patterns over the past eight years.

The 2015 "Who, When, Where, What and How" Thread

The 2014 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

The 2012 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

The 2011 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

The 2010 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=19989

Here we go:

Who: What do you do when you are not on FT? Anything you want to tell FTers about you.
When: When will (did) you make your desired 2016 status?
How: This is a broad category. Include any information on whether you travel for work, personal reasons, MRs, double/triple EQM, M+ Visa EQMs, UA flying, *A flying, $$$ spent to achieve status, how your travel pattern has changed in 2015 from previous years.
Where: Places you have been this year (on your way to your 2016 status).
Why:Why is achieving status/accumulating miles important (or not important) to you? Why do you do Mileage Runs, etc.?
What: What’s your plan to achieve 2017 status, and where will you go? What will likely the change to your UA flying in 2016 versus 2015?

Happy Holidays and Safe Travel Everyone!!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:41 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Who: When not on FT I am generally working in my real life on real estate acquisition and management.

When: Million miller here so no more need to chase status with UA. I am knocking out EXP in Feb/Mar of 2016 before the rules change (thanks to those GRU > IAH > GRU mistake business fares!) but that will be the last traditional MR for this FT'er.

How: Most of my travel is personal. During school I enjoyed muleing back and forth for the RDMs and UA and CO were my go-to. When the programs merged I had enough lifetime miles to secure status, taking away the need to run for status. And when the RDMs accrual changed, it was harder to find the motivation to take the scenic route. $'s spent to achieve status: None. Coasting off MM.

Where: Had very few earning flights on anyone - 95%+ of my travel was burning off points on F in EK, SQ, CX, BR, BA, and UA. South-east Asia was a big destination for me in 2015 with multiple trips (SIN, HKG, KUL, TPE) as well as the middle east (DXB). Domestically it was between the coasts and Denver.

Why: I am too old to fly coach and too poor to afford F.

What: UA - no real change from 2015. Have lifetime status, have a way to earn points via the credit cards. When I want to go somewhere domestically it's 12,500 each way. When I want to go abroad, it's SQ/CX/EK/EY F. Don't really see the need to do runs anymore.

AA - swan song MRs in C and F to push out requalling by March 2016. Also this locks in status until January of 2018 for me. Not sure what I'll do afterwards as I will be at well on my way to lifetime plat on AA, so I might want to get that knocked out...we'll see.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: UA: 1k, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold
Who: Away from FT I run North American partner management for a domain name registry (the company that manages domain extensions).

When: After several years bouncing around Silver, Gold and Platinum - this is my first year qualifying for 1k and I hit the PQM in late September or early October, but it took me until December 3 or 4 to hit the PQD. Ended up with 126k BIS miles this year. 30k more than my previous high water mark.

How: Lots of business related trips with some personal travel sprinkled in. The company only pays for coach, so outside of a rare TOD upgrade and some early CPU success, everything else was in the back. Big change from 2014 to 2015 was two extra international trips.

Where: Internationally: Singapore, Buenos Aires, Dublin, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa (does Canada even count from the US??). Domestically: Tampa, JAX, New Orleans, NYC, DC, Denver, Chicago, Charlotte, Vegas, LAX, SFO, Portland, Pittsburgh.

Why: The world is a big, wonderful place, and when I have the time I like to see it. Amassing miles is a good and inexpensive way for my lovely wife and me to see it. The occasional seat in First is a nice perk, the free bags, the slightly more flexible change options and easier handling when operational issues arise are nice too.

What: 2017 status will come a bit harder. My international travel will be curtailed, but I am likely to be doing more domestic travel. Suffice to say I'll be planning several trans-cons. May have to look at an international holiday trip to push me over the PQD hump. Will see.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who: Federal Government attorney who still doesn't book YCA fares on official travel.

When: Premier Gold in October on a sCO 738 DEN-IAD, returning from an awesome trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs.

How: In 2015 UA lost many of the GSA city pairs out of IAD that I normally fly. So while my leisure travel in 2015 matched previous years, more than half of my work related travel was on airlines other than UA. On UA, that was 1 TPAC, 1 TATL, 3 TCONs, one mid-con, and one to South America.

Where: California (x3), New Zealand, London, Bozeman, Quito.

Why: The change to MP (PQD) and being required to fly AA and DL on much of my business travel made this a very strange and different year. I knew from the start this would be a tough year, so I maximized the time I had on UA by sitting up front on almost every UA flight - using my dime, not the taxpayers.

What: This time my "I've probably reached 1K for the last time" finally came true, and I expect no change for the upcoming year, since UA has lost even more GSA city pairs for FY 2016. My target for 2016 is to cross the 1MM mark, and I hope to see that take place soon.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Who: Software Engineer in the computer games industry.

When: Earned lifetime Gold in 2013. Doubtful I'll ever achieve (or want to achieve) anything higher again.

How: Only 3 paid segments on United so far this year, so I'm just taking advantage of lifetime status.

Where: Revenue ticket: RDU (one way - the other direction was an award). Award tickets: YUL (AC), SCL (UA) and EZE (AC) enroute to Antarctica, SFO (UA), LAX (AC).

Why: Virtually all personal travel (one business trip every two or three years). Living in the Vancouver area, it's hard to find decent fares for short trips. Work is also not as flexible as my previous job, so not as many opportunities for long weekends or quick trips.

What: Not much planned for 2016, and nothing on UA. TLV for my niece's wedding and mom's 94th birthday on LX, a couple of trips to SoCal on AC or WS, and I'm sure we'll head to SFO at some point.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:56 pm

Who: Software sales. For Pleasure travel to rural places.

When: Made gold was hoping for platinum but fall in oil prices disrupted lots of travel plans. Prob flew 40,000 BIS miles on OAL and UA awards as well.

How: 50% work / 50% pleasure. 2 sort of mile runs one to LAS and one to BOI only booked them because they were dirt cheap fares but I also wanted to visit both places. Also have Chase CC.

Where: California (multiple) London (Multiple) Uganda, Manchester (Multiple) Nice, Cologne, Boise, Vegas, Grand Cayman, Houston, South Florida, Peru,
Why: I actually enjoy being on a plane, UA marketing works well, e+ is a great benifet and I like to travel to new places. Getting miles for award flights is also a big deal. FLying to HAwai next year in J on award ticket. I place a very high value on this because I prob wouldn't pay $$$ for it but still very much appeaciate it.

What: Platinum next year, I already have 48,000 UA miles booked. Will prob shift more flying to UA. But still won't choose UA if it is a lot more expensive than OAL for personal travel. For work I always choose to fly from EWR so I;m on UA nearly 100% of time.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Who: I do international development (health sector) in Asia

When: Hit Plat in December, should have hit 1K but cancelled the trip that would have done it.

How: Primarily work, which is in Asia. Only three trips this year (in B/Y, so 1 trip = 1 status category thanks to 1.5 PQMs) to Asia. Several in the US to visit friends and family. Mostly on UA metal, spent a little time on *A partners like Asiana, ANA, Air India, Sri Lankan.

Where: Delhi, Almaty, Colombo, Bangkok, Dubai, Chicago, LA

Why:I got the status bug some years ago, was able to do MRs, travel a lot for fun, etc. Then had to taper a bit with little kids (though took my first kid on a MR with me when she was 10 weeks to hit 1K -- she was 3 before she flew in Y), but now starting up again. I love the FF game, love to travel, love my job which necessitates travel, and love to fly up front when instruments and cheap buy-ups allow it.

What: I will make 1K for 2017 going to Myanmar, India, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, and likely someplace in SE Asia. Hope to do all the transpacs/transatlantics in J, which would be different from my 2015 travel. I am too old to do 14-hour flights in E+. Hope to take my family somewhere, perhaps Turkey for fun and maybe bring the kids with me on a work trip to Asia over the summer.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Who: VP & GM of a large division for a high tech company. When I'm not working, or flying around for work, I love golf, travel (seeing the places I've been ... LOL), barbershop singing, and ice hockey.

When: Either May (1K) or hopefully January 2016 (a first-time GS invitation)

How: Lots and lots of work travel. Mostly paid int'l J with some domestic Y. More upgrades clear than not. 195,000 PQM, aound $49K PQD. I also flew about 20,000 miles each on DL and AA (all paid F) for some personal trips. Three WN trips to Vegas as well - all work :-(

Where: IAH, TPA, PEK, NRT, HND, SIN, BLR, LHR, DEN, ATL, IAD, MSP, RSW. IAH and the Asian trips were the heaviest routes.

Why: Upgrades, and miles to use for vacation. My wife accompanied me to LHR on award seats, and we're taking a TATL cruise in 2016 that will be two J tickets home on miles.

What: More of the same! My international travel will probably be more European-weighted this year vs. Asia, but the frequency won't change much. Almost 45,000 miles already booked through Feb 8. Sigh.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Who: Import/Export Trading Company
When: December 15, 2015. Platinum.
How: Mostly work travel. Three revenue and three MP award trips for 2015 to China.
Where: Three times around the world burning up 500K miles. Thanks to the amazing braintrust at FT, I was able to check several places off my bucket list and sample great inflight service, once again.
Why: Million Miler in November. That's my final milestone with UA.
What: Gold, Jerry. Forever.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:56 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Who: Composer and professional church musician

When: Previously 1K for many years, but down to Gold for 2015. However, hit Platinum in October (aided by annual spend on CC, 'cos I was £1K+ short on PQD)

Where: Most of my travel is between the US and the UK. As well as the 80K+ on UA, I have also been to France (three times), Italy (twice), Bratislava, including flights on BA, Ryanair and Alitalia (Ugh to all of them!)

How: On UA, I almost never travel in the back of the bus, using miles for upgrades and searching out R availability.

Why:Got the FT bug years ago and can't stop flying!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Who: Sales Operations for a Global tech company. I run the EMEA/APAC regions.

When: September

How: Used to be 90% business travel in Y, mostly int'l. Now it's about 50% of my miles earned for biz Y travel, 30% on personal domestic and 20% was MR'd this year. Ended at 65k miles. I had 6 weddings this year on the East coast and most of my $ spent was put into those.

Where: Chicago, Shanghai, NYC, DC, PHL, Brasil, Panama, San Juan (PR), Las Vegas, Bangkok, Baltimore & Richmond (VA)

Why: I am 6' 7" and mainly do it for E+ seating. My upgrade % was insane this year, especially out of a hub. Not expecting that to continue, but it's always nice to have a few per year.

What: Have 22k planned in Q1. ATL & TLV. Some additional trips will pop up, but I'm expecting to land around 50-60k again.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Who: A long-time FT lurker who has enjoyed signing up and participating in recent months. I work in finance on the advisory side of the business (M&A, IPOs, etc).

When: Hit 1K for the 5th time back in early Sept. on my usual SFO-EWR/IAD route. On UA 727 now, which is my last flight for 2016. Will end the year with about 160k PQM, nearly all UA metal except for a handful of Lufty and Swiss. Really hoping for GS this year given UA metal spend north of $50k, but out of SFO I know I'm on the bubble.

How: Lots (LOTS) of transcons, nearly all M fares or better, so only sat in Y once or twice. Also two r/t to Europe in J.

Why: 80% work, 20% on my own dime. Didn't burn any miles this year, so was fun watching them build up with the new accrural system. Have always loved to fly, and genuinely enjoy all things airports and airplanes. My mom used to take me to Bayshore park next to SFO as a kid to watch the planes take off and I've been hooked since. I still go when I get a free moment to myself.

What: 2016 looks to be about the same amount of flying, but hoping to spend much more time on FT. I've greatly enjoyed finally participating, what a great group of people!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Who: I'm a student and contributor to an open source community. I tend to fly to several conferences!

When: I achieved Silver status (yay!) when I was coming home, on my IAH-LIM flight.

How: All travel I did this year was because of conferences. I've gotten ~34k PQMs this year, and it's the year I've flown the most in my entire life! It's also the first time I've achieved airline status in my lifetime, so it's nice to have a glimpse of gold. Oh, and PQDs haven't been a problem for me, since I live in Peru and I don't need to meet any thresholds.

Where: Let's see... LIM, as it's my home airport. IAH is definitely the hub I visit the most! PTY before I moved from flying CM to flying UA. LAX, DEN, AUS, IAD, and MCO. Oh! I shouldn't forget MEX, after I randomly ended up there thanks to a misconnect.

Why: Why not? If you can have at least a small perk, go ahead and take it. Even if it's tiny small, make sure you take advantage of it. And I haven't done any mileage runs. I had already hit Silver and Gold is still a long way from me (at least this year!)

What: Again, mostly open source conferences. If you are part of the open source world, make sure to visit SCALE Jan next year. This has been my first year as an FT poster, and I've enjoyed it every bit. Oh, I hope, though, to score a Y fare at least.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Who: Reform Rabbi

When: hit 2MM this week, aft many years as. 1k

How: aviation is my hobby. In college, I worked summer jobs for airlines. Part of what attracted me to becoming a rabbi was that student rabbis would fly to small congregations around the country. I used to fly monthly to places like Great Falls, Joplin, Marquette and Texarkana! But those were my days before UA. Now I fly mostly for pleasure during my days off!

Where: Peru, Panama, Israel, Australia, Vietnam, Seoul, Tokyo, and throughout US

Why: flying, as I said, is my passion. I like getting there. My husband likes b not there.

What: I am done chasing status. I have many flights planned, but not longer seeking bis miles. (My next flight to Israel is paid C on LX). Now, my goal is to catch inaugural flights and other bucket list flights.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:37 pm

Who: Marketing Consultant
When: Made 1K in early summer 2015
How: Mainly work travel, with 2-3 personal/family trips a year. Usually 80% domestic / 20% international. When flying international, usually fly business. Usually hit over $50k in spend, but with tons of domestic miles, it hurts as those are not premium fare classes so lose hope of GS
Where: SFO, ATL, LAX, ROC, SLC, MCO, NYC, SJU domestically and LHR, WAW, PVG internationally account for probably 75% of the travel this year. These destinations will probably change next as I shift to new projects.
Why: It just comes with the job, status is great, but benefits are not super wonderful. My AA status is usually more beneficial than UA
What: For 2016, as noted above, most of my destinations will change. Looks like there will be more international. Probably will become AMS, LHR, MAA, PVG, ICN, and domestically will be SFO, MIA, CVG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.