Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free snacks are back for United Economy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Finally got to try my first stroopwafel on a UAX flight today (EWR-STL). Have to say that I am impressed by the quality - definitely tastes better than the other pre-packaged stroopwafels I have had.

You may not want to take a look at the nutritional facts, though.
I definitely prefer them to the Rip Van Wafels that are served in my office. I just wish all the flights had them. (And I wish the FAs were consistent about serving them: on one flight they just missed me completely, on another one they didn't have any loaded, and on the third I was CPU'd and forgot to ask for one - and I'm rarely on morning flights as it is.)

On a recent flight out of ORD (on a 777, but domestic) I noticed a new and possibly slightly larger snack mix, in a different packaging. I think it had mini pretzels instead of the pretzel sticks, and no soy nuts - I was quite tired at the time so I might be misremembering. A previous flight into ORD still had the old mix.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
On a recent flight out of ORD (on a 777, but domestic) I noticed a new and possibly slightly larger snack mix, in a different packaging. I think it had mini pretzels instead of the pretzel sticks, and no soy nuts - I was quite tired at the time so I might be misremembering. A previous flight into ORD still had the old mix.
Are you sure it wasn't the other snack mix that has been around since they began serving them. On the mid-morning and later flights, there are two snack mixes used - the Asian mix, and the ranch mix. Is it possibly the first time you've seen the other one, or is this actually a new, third kind of snack mix?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are you sure it wasn't the other snack mix that has been around since they began serving them. On the mid-morning and later flights, there are two snack mixes used - the Asian mix, and the ranch mix. Is it possibly the first time you've seen the other one, or is this actually a new, third kind of snack mix?
Nope, it's definitely new. I've had the Asian snack mix in the same packaging as the old ranch mix, this was completely new packaging.

I *think* the wrapper of this third mix also said ranch mix, but I'm not 100% sure, and I forgot to actually take the packaging with me.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Probably don't want to look at the nutrition facts on a lot of stuff these days, particularly anything served on an aircraft.
Stroopwafel contents: butter, flour, sugar, eggs, salt, yeast, etc. Plenty of carbs and cholesterol to last you all day.

Remember, every food item boarded on a plane is meant to withstand elements of variable temps and usually has a pretty long shelf life. The amount of preservatives and sodium loaded in to airplane food is sky high (pun intended). The nutritional content of these meals is crazy. I used to work with a girl who worked in United HQ in the catering department. She would not eat the food on planes, and for a while after knowing her, neither did I.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by JC5280
I used to work with a girl who worked in United HQ in the catering department. She would not eat the food on planes, and for a while after knowing her, neither did I.
That is not surprising. Yet a lot of people on this forum looooooove airplane food and lounge food.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'll be doing a morning flight out of YYZ later this month - hope the Peak Freans aren't a Canadian departure thing.
Peak Freans are VERY serious ckie.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:33 am

Nope, it's definitely new. I've had the Asian snack mix in the same packaging as the old ranch mix, this was completely new packaging.

I *think* the wrapper of this third mix also said ranch mix, but I'm not 100% sure, and I forgot to actually take the packaging with me.
The new snack mix seems to be a thing - I've had it consistently: here's a few photos:

I'm not sure if the new package actually has more contents (it's 14g), but it seems larger than the old one.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
The new snack mix seems to be a thing - I've had it consistently: here's a few photos:

I'm not sure if the new package actually has more contents (it's 14g), but it seems larger than the old one.
Oh good, they went back to their old CO vendor Kings. lol
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
This was the old PMUA vendor too and the same snack mix we used to get on UA many years ago. This is a nice improvement.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I find the Asian mix spicy. Does anyone else share my opinion?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by fly747first
Kings is like every airlines' vendor!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Is Kings the same as King Nut Co? I vaguely remember a snack mix on US Airways that I was rather fond of.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
Is Kings the same as King Nut Co? I vaguely remember a snack mix on US Airways that I was rather fond of.
If it's based in Solon, Ohio, there can be only one airline nut company operating out of that town - whatever its dba names are.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, according to multiple sources on the internet as well as the source vendor of the stroopwafels for UnitedContinental, the Dutch warm them by putting a stroopwafel on top of a hot beverage in the right size cup - and waiting 5 minutes so that you then get the gentle aroma of cinnamon and sugar before you eat.

Here's one: http://www.foodpr0n.com/2010/03/23/h...a-stroopwafel/

David
We do, sometimes mostly just eat them as is. Or on local markets when they're freshly made and are gigantic!

This is how the ones you get on UA are made:
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
This was the old PMUA vendor too and the same snack mix we used to get on UA many years ago. This is a nice improvement.
Had it 2 days ago. Agreed it reminds me of PMUA and is not the revolting Asian mix. Please keep the savory mix, it is very reasonable.

Even better, offer the stroopwaffel option on all flights regardless of departure time. Mmmmmm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.