Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stranded in Kiev (UA cancels award ticket due to mistakenly suspected fraud)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded in Kiev (UA cancels award ticket due to mistakenly suspected fraud)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
The fix is indeed simple, there should be an escalation path for these cases to be reviewed and then agents should be empowered to fix the mess and there should be an expectation of urgent resolution when a good customer is incorrectly marked as a criminal by an incompetent agent or flawed system rule.
Agreed 100%. Mistakes happen, although they should be minimized. But when they do, there should be a way to get it fixed, if indeed it's a carrier error. We've seen reports of similar behavior on other carriers on FT: ticket is suspected of fraud, gets locked by the fraud department, who somehow is not able to be reached when needed and nobody else at carrier has the authority to do anything about it.

Originally Posted by johnden
This already exists. There IS a commonly used path to open award inventory for mistakes/IRROPs/CS/etc. Agents have the power (most require higher approval) to do this in a myriad of cases, some of which they do not recognize as a "UA error", but do as a special "one-time" exception.
I disagree. What you are describing is something else. What FlyWorld (I think) and I am referring to is a way to escalate a solution to the original, underlying problem of a false fraud lockout. If that were possible and in place, there would be no need to invoke the workaround that you describe of opening extra inventory. That's a secondary issue in this case.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
EU261 is to protect the traveler in cases of flight cancellations or delays - i.e. irregular flight operations. The flight WAS NOT cancelled. It flew without the passenger. This is a flight reservation cancellation issue and not even close to qualifying for EU261 compensation.
Puhhh, EC261/2004 also covers denied boarding events. This triggers article 8 (free reroute or refund) and article 7 (compensation).

Again, if an issueing airline decided to cancel a ticket unilaterally (without a lawful cause) and the operating carrier is denying boarding, the passenger has every right to invoke article 7 and article 8 of EC261/2004. This is true for all flights, departing from an EU airport + for all flights, operated by an EU airline and have an EU airport as destination.

Denied boarding applies to overbooked flights.
No! The EU courts have ruled that other denied boarding events qualify for compensation (e.g. airline refuses to honor visa documents, whereas, these documents are sufficient to exit/enter the country).

The most important issue is the lack of a solution from UA on the day of travel.
Well, it was the job of OS to reroute the passenger (or accept him to flight, which was bought for him).

I agree with this.

OS denied the pax boarding. The pax had a valid, purchased ticket, and nobody had communicated otherwise to him.
Well, at least I am not alone here.

This already exists. There IS a commonly used path to open award inventory for mistakes/IRROPs/CS/etc. Agents have the power (most require higher approval) to do this in a myriad of cases, some of which they do not recognize as a "UA error", but do as a special "one-time" exception.
In case of an IRROPs the agent just has to reissue the ticket and put a special disruption code in the ticketing field. It does not matter which fare classes are still available.

My recommendation:
- The passenger should demand in writing (email) the compensation of EUR 600 and reimbursement of additional costs from Austrian Airlines.
- If OS blocks this request, the next step would be to file a case with the independent arbitration court APF in Austria.
- United Airlines is the wrong entity to follow up with the claim and communication. (I would recommend to move this thread over to the Miles & More forum)

http://www.apf.gv.at/de/

Things work differently here in the EU than in the US. We may have fewer churches, but we have EC261/2004, which is a pretty cool tool.

Last edited by warakorn; Nov 28, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
From summary on EU261:
"(a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present
themselves for check-in,"
It's been pointed out to you many times previously that you can't just quote the text of EU261 in response to these sorts of issues. There has been substantial judicial interpretation of the reg such that its application now bears literally no relation to the text itself.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 2015 at 12:09 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's been pointed out to you many times previously that you can't just quote the text of EU261 in response to these sorts of issues. There has been substantial judicial interpretation of the reg such that its application now bears literally no relation to the text itself.
+1. I am not an expert on EU261, so will leave it to others if it applies to a a Kiev to US flight (I don't know) but if it does, it has been interpreted in a "pro-consumer" fashion, and would IMHO cover this type of "mistake."

EU261 is not some Texas law designed to mess over consumers, but a real consumer friendly law, to prevent harm to consumers. It applies to reward tickets, and broadly to any reason (absent what we in American Law would call an "act of god") that causes a delay or cancellation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 2015 at 12:10 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
Without judging any of the merits in these cases, I wonder if third party tickets/transactions are more likely to get flagged as suspect? ?

Absolutely. Added to the fact it was from the Kiev and the cc had been canceled when the re booking was made. It triggered every fraud suspicion in the book with all of that. Not letting UA off the hook for bad customer service but it's not surprising this got flagged for fraud suspicion.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:06 am

Unfortunately EU261/2004 is not applicable here.Ukraine is not a community member and United is not a community carrier.The denied boarding happened outside of the EU.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
Unfortunately EU261/2004 is not applicable here.Ukraine is not a community member and United is not a community carrier.The denied boarding happened outside of the EU.
As I understand it, OP was boarding a flight to an EU state on an EU airline.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Two separate issues:

First, as to OP. His sole issue is setting things right with UA. He was not the passenger and is not entitled to anything.

Second, as to the passenger. While EC 261/2004 applies because OS is a community carrier even though the flight departed from outside the community (EU), there is no violation of the rules because the passenger lacked a valid ticket. Right or wrong, UA cancelled the ticket and without a ticket OS did not permit the passenger to board.

The fantasy that EC 261/2004 applies or that OS bears any responsibility here even outside EC 261/2004 is just that: a fantasy and it does neither OP nor his friend any good.

If UA chooses to make good here on the passenger's losses, he will be lucky. If it does not, the choices are to move on or to start a lengthy series of legal proceedings which will hinge not on whether UA was right or wrong, but whether it acted reasonably.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

rapidex wrote:

Huuh! Wait a moment!!!
It has been established that Austrian Airlines is an EU airline. For EC261/2004 it is the operating carrier that matters. A denied boarding situation by an EU airline, happening outside the EU (with a flight departing for the EU), is covered by EC261/2004.

We have a geniune discussion here on the legal interpretation of that clause:
"(a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present
themselves for check-in,"

Some say that article 7 and article 8 are not activated by such kind of situation.
Some say that article 7 and article 8 are activated by such kind of situation.

That is what the discussion is about.

The fantasy that EC 261/2004 applies or that OS bears any responsibility here even outside EC 261/2004 is just that: a fantasy and it does neither OP nor his friend any good.
Morally speaking OS should not be liable for that screw-up by UA. I agree.
Legally speaking OS is the face to the passenger. Whoever screwed up, OS was the party who ultimatelly denied boarding.

Its not like UA forced that reservation on OS.
OS had every right to deny the reservation/ticket, right before the ticket was issued by UA.
At the moment OS accepted that reservation/ticket, a transportation contract was formed between the passenger and OS.
OS needs a very good reason to cancel that contract and deny transportation. I fail to see a good reason here. What UA did was completely out of the control of the passenger.
That is what is written in the Austrian civil code (Allgemeine bürgerliche Gesetzbuch ABGB).
A judge in Austria will analyze the situation in that way.
The passenger may bring a suit against OS in Austrian court, including the enforcement on EC261/2004.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 2015 at 12:12 pm Reason: unneeded comment removed
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:48 am

I have seen no indication that anyone has suffered enough harm to justify the cost of starting a lawsuit.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

I have seen no indication that anyone has suffered enough harm to justify the cost of starting a lawsuit.
Do you know how much it costs to file a lawsuit against an airline in Austria to claim EC261/2004 money?
My hint: its pretty cheap.

Please! Austria is not the United States. From a US-centric all my talk sounds not plausible.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luckypierre
I would think in the primer on preventing credit card fraud, any third party transaction ranks way higher on the suspicion list. That said, as usual, United takes a routine fact of life in this world-preventing fraudulent credit card use-and manages to mangle it up, denies any responsibility for the error and refuses to assist the aggravated party.

Remember the monk stranded in Africa when his return ticket was cancelled! by a "third party agency retained by United to increase fraud surveillance?" Is anyone at the controls reviewing these items before they pull the trigger? In this case, I believe the OP remarked that the item presumably triggering the review was a discrepancy of 20 cents. Hardly the fodder for fraud. Seems like coding 101 to have a routine that would ignore all transactions under, let's say $5 bucks unless they happen xxx times in the same account.
I'm guessing their agreement with the third party company comes down to payment for fraud detected but no penalty for false alarms.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While not explicitly mentioned, my reading is the lack of raising that as an issue suggested that was not an issue.
Suspect the original miles were used to rebook the replacement.

Does appear there were some unfortunately coincidences but UA owes a better apology / compensation. They own the mistake made by their subcontractor.
Yeah. This was not the "tragedy" I was expecting to read about. Passenger got home but on a longer flight. OP, on the other hand, got the run-around.

Seems to me that once UA had established that this was not the OP's fault they should make a good faith effort to make it right. Some miles and an apology might make a difference.

I'm thinking 25,000 miles. Given the hassle that people suffered seems reasonable.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Do you know how much it costs to file a lawsuit against an airline in Austria to claim EC261/2004 money?
My hint: its pretty cheap.

Please! Austria is not the United States. From a US-centric all my talk sounds not plausible.
It might be helpful then for you to explain the process.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ftweb
This is a bit of a tangent, but with Citi you have to use virtual account numbers to buy plane tickets on United. It's frankly a bit bizarre. United is probably the single biggest expense on my credit card each year, with over 50% of my charges going to United. And yet somehow, whenever I bought tickets--even in my own name--I would get calls from Citibank checking that this wasn't fraudulent behavior. This was particularly problematic if I missed the call.

I'm curious what specific fraud they are concerned about. Suppose someone did fraudulently buy a ticket in my name. Presumably they would then cancel the ticket and pay the change fee to use the value for a different ticket for a different person? Maybe a different person who paid them cash for the ticket? But at that point, wouldn't the person perpetrating the fraud be traceable through the payment of the change fee, and the person flying the itinerary be traceable through the government issued ID check?

Anyway, after switching to the virtual account numbers I have not had the problem a single time. It is more annoying to have to log into Citi's web site in addition to United, and to have to cut and paste from the annoying flash plugin. But at least the problem is solved.
Thank you so much, I thought I was insane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.