Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stranded in Kiev (UA cancels award ticket due to mistakenly suspected fraud)

Stranded in Kiev (UA cancels award ticket due to mistakenly suspected fraud)

Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
I very much think that this is an EC261/2004 issue. Once the ticket was issued, the operating airline is on the hook to provide the service. Just suspending the ticket is not going to fly. The airline must justify it (e.g. a chargeback would be a plausible cause). However, Austrian cannot do that.

I would recommend the traveller to claim EUR 600 in article 7 compensation from Austrian Airlines.
Austrian can happily reclaim that money from the culprit (UA).
I. SUBJECT OF THE REGULATION AND DEFINITIONS
Article 2 Definitions
(g) "reservation" means the fact that the passenger has a ticket, or other proof, which indicates that the reservation has been
accepted and registered by the air carrier or tour operator;
Article 3: Scope
1. This Regulation shall apply:
(a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present
themselves for check-in,
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...g_2004_261.pdf

In this case, the passenger might have a ticket at some point but didn't have a valid ticket at time of check in.@:-) Note in case of interline bookings, tickets are usually pushed over to operating carrier 24 hours prior to departure.

Last edited by TerryK; Nov 28, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although the ADA makes it difficult / impossible to sue the airline, does the same restriction apply to the "third party agency retained by United to increase fraud surveillance"? It seems that the "third party agency" might be held liable for damages resulting from their ineptitude.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If UA cancels the ticket, why would Austrian ever have a clue that this was anything other than one of the millions of tickets that are cancelled every year.

It would be an absurd burden on the system for the non-ticketing carrier to have to assume they are potentially responsibly for every ticket issued and cancelled (or re-issued),
Well, this is the idea of EC261/2004. The legislator wanted to protect the traveller of not being pushed around the airlines. So, they made it easy to the traveller. The legislator were pretty much aware of codesharing, interlining etc. Thats why always the operating carrier is on the hook.

Its a European legislation. You cannot compare it to how things are handled in the US or how illogical EC261/2004 is. I am aware that many people here are US Americans. But things are different across the pond.

Is EC261/2004 unfair? No, Austrian can just pay up to the traveller without much fuzz (saving on legal costs) and claim that money back from the culprit.

Although the ADA makes it difficult / impossible to sue the airline, does the same restriction apply to the "third party agency retained by United to increase fraud surveillance"?
That is very easy. The OP can sue Austrian Airlines in Vienna court.

In this case, the passenger might have a ticket at some point but didn't have a valid ticket at time of check in. Note in case of interline bookings, tickets are usually pushed over to operating carrier 24 hours prior to departure.
I dont think so. If this were the case, airlines would just cancel the ticket when they cancel a flight and THUS circumventing the protection clauses EC261/2004. A judge in Vienna would through out that argument.

The passenger is fine once the ticket was issued.
If the airline touches the ticket without any good reason (e.g. chargeback by the traveller would be a good reason), it does not diminish the legal position of the traveller, esp. when it comes to the article 7 and article 8 of EC261/2004.
A lot of court cases around EC261/2004 has shown it again and again. Once airlines are trying to circumvent the rules, they wont have a good day in court.

Last edited by warakorn; Nov 28, 2015 at 9:03 am
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 does not apply. The ticketing carrier, UA is neither a community (EU) carrier, nor was the flight in question departing from the community (EU). OS is, of course, a community carrier, but the passenger presented himself without a valid ticket for the flight.

Whatever happened to the ticket, it is clear from OP's posts that it was UA which cancelled the ticket, whether right or wrong.

No ticket = no boarding. If it had been OS which unreasonably cancelled the ticket, this might be a case for denied boarding under EC 261/2004. But, it wasn't.

Bear in mind that there are reservations and tickets. While it is unusual these days for there to be a reservation without a ticket, it does occur with TA bookings. But, it is the ticket which is evidence of payment. Without evidence of payment, it would be absurd to expect any business to board someone.

Finally, it was the passenger, not OP who is due whatever he is due, whether under EC 261/2004 or the law of Ukraine, Austria, US or anywhere else for that matter. OP did not suffer any damages beyond perhaps a bit of time.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
When a credit card company suspects fraud, it doesn't automatically assume its customer is in cahoots. Airlines do.
But it is kind of a different situation, isn't it. I suspect most cases of mileage fraud involve a FF program member selling upgrades or flights. If the airline contacts the member to question the usage, the member is likely to say it is a valid usage and the itin should not be cancelled - even though it is clearly against the terms of the program.

So from the airline's view, most of the time the customer really is in cahoots to defraud the airline.

(I am not suggesting this is at all what happened in the OP's case.)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
EC 261/2004 does not apply. The ticketing carrier, UA is neither a community (EU) carrier, nor was the flight in question departing from the community (EU).
You know that this is not correct. As you stating rightfully in the next sentence, that OS is an EU airline.

OS is, of course, a community carrier, but the passenger presented himself without a valid ticket for the flight.
Technically he was not in possession of a ticket. I have serious doubts that OS could get away with such a line. The ticket was issued, OS accepted the transportation contract. That is all that counts. The unilateral cancellation of the tickets was not lawful.
OS still had the chance to rectify the situation and has choses not to do so. Too bad. OS has to pay up.

Hey, its not only about EC261/2004. Austrian contract law comes into play (Allgemeines Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch).

Again, there has been a contract in place between the passenger and OS.
OS broke the contract. OS has to pay up.

Whatever happened to the ticket, it is clear from OP's posts that it was UA which cancelled the ticket, whether right or wrong.
Fine, I am not disputing. It is, however, irrelevant to the fact whether OS owes the passenger compensation (either through EC261/2004 or through Austrian contract law).
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
The most important issue is the lack of a solution from UA on the day of travel.

No one was empowered to open inventory for the OP. A simple solution existed, use miles to buy a new ticket (to replace the suspended one), which no one claimed was fraud (the replacement purchase). This required a very simple exception to open inventory.

I've had saver inventory opened in a number of cases. The most common is during IRROPs or tight connections when a segment is cancelled/rebooked/protected erroneously (many reasons, another topic). It is not that big a deal.

Totally inexcusable that no one opened the needed inventory on UA metal to accommodate the passenger. Yes, worse stuff happens to travelers. I've had to buy last minute full fare tickets and swallow the cost. I've never had UA refuse to open inventory to fix a mistake.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well, this is the idea of EC261/2004. The legislator wanted to protect the traveller of not being pushed around the airlines....

EU261 is to protect the traveler in cases of flight cancellations or delays - i.e. irregular flight operations. The flight WAS NOT cancelled. It flew without the passenger. This is a flight reservation cancellation issue and not even close to qualifying for EU261 compensation.

"I dont think so. If this were the case, airlines would just cancel the ticket when they cancel a flight and THUS circumventing the protection clauses EC261/2004. A judge in Vienna would through out that argument."

Zero relevance - the flight was not cancelled.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 28, 2015 at 10:45 am
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
EU261 is to protect the traveler in cases of flight cancellations or delays. The flight WAS NOT cancelled. It flew without the passenger. This is a flight reservation cancellation issue and not even close to qualifying for EU261 compensation.
That's not correct. EU261 applies to more than cancels and delays. It applies as well to denied boarding (which is arguably what happened here) and downgrades.

I also know that I don't know enough to start arguing about whether EU261 applies on these facts. I'll defer to our European members on that one.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not correct. EU261 applies to more than cancels and delays. It applies as well to denied boarding (which is arguably what happened here) and downgrades.

I also know that I don't know enough to start arguing about whether EU261 applies on these facts. I'll defer to our European members on that one.
From summary on EU261:
"(a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present
themselves for check-in,"

Flyer did not have a confirmed reservation. It was mistakenly (it appears) cancelled before he/she arrived at airport. One did not exist.

From summary on EU261:
"Article 4: Denied boarding
1. When an operating air carrier reasonably expects to deny boarding on a flight, it shall first call for volunteers to surrender their
reservations in exchange for benefits under conditions to be agreed between the passenger concerned and the operating air
carrier. Volunteers shall be assisted in accordance with Article 8, such assistance being additional to the benefits mentioned in
this paragraph.
2. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward to allow the remaining passengers with reservations to board the flight,
the operating air carrier may then deny boarding to passengers against their will.
3. If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in
accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9."

Denied boarding applies to overbooked flights. But it doesn't matter, flyer had no reservation. UA did wrong, but EU261 is not the avenue for redress.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...g_2004_261.pdf
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by johnden
... Totally inexcusable that no one opened the needed inventory on UA metal to accommodate the passenger. Yes, worse stuff happens to travelers. I've had to buy last minute full fare tickets and swallow the cost. I've never had UA refuse to open inventory to fix a mistake.
The pattern I am starting to see from these recent posts looks something like this:

UA's outsourced fraud vendor marks a transaction as fraud when it's not fraud or UA's internal security team marks an account as fraud when it's not fraud and then when that happens, we revert back to the "there's nothing I can do" mantra that Jeff introduced in 2012. It seems that the marriage of the "there's nothing I can do" attitude with the refusal to even investigate false claims of fraud by UA's fraud vendor or security team is creating havoc for innocent customers caught in their net.

The fix is indeed simple, there should be an escalation path for these cases to be reviewed and then agents should be empowered to fix the mess and there should be an expectation of urgent resolution when a good customer is incorrectly marked as a criminal by an incompetent agent or flawed system rule.

Unfortunately, I don't see this getting on to Oscar's radar ahead of the much larger messes he needs to clean up, so this is likely to be the new normal.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
The fix is indeed simple, there should be an escalation path for these cases to be reviewed and then agents should be empowered to fix the mess and there should be an expectation of urgent resolution when a good customer is incorrectly marked as a criminal by an incompetent agent or flawed system rule.
This already exists. There IS a commonly used path to open award inventory for mistakes/IRROPs/CS/etc. Agents have the power (most require higher approval) to do this in a myriad of cases, some of which they do not recognize as a "UA error", but do as a special "one-time" exception.

This situation was more due to heartless UA staff than policy. Sure, policy changes can help force a heartless agent to do the right thing. UA could have issued a "one-time" exception as they do thousands of times a day. If the OP recounted his experience correctly, there was no "heart" or "service" in the UA response.

It's kind of like being told by a agent that you can't rebook onto any not-full flight for the next week after your segment was cancelled because they do not believe they are required to do it (input whatever reason here). Sure it happens, but most of the time it doesn't happen, because the agent can do it pretty easily, and almost always will if there is a semi-compelling case.

This is purely bad customer service. No changes were needed to do this.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
In addition to other suggestions offered here, I suggest that the OP take this issue to one of the newspaper consumer advocates. Some local and national papers have a consumer advocacy column that deals with travel incidents in which a company fails to offer decent care to a customer. Local TV and radio stations sometimes have advocacy segments too.

The action and response by United is quite outrageous in my view.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Technically he was not in possession of a ticket. I have serious doubts that OS could get away with such a line. The ticket was issued, OS accepted the transportation contract. That is all that counts. The unilateral cancellation of the tickets was not lawful.
OS still had the chance to rectify the situation and has choses not to do so. Too bad. OS has to pay up.
I agree with this.

OS denied the pax boarding. The pax had a valid, purchased ticket, and nobody had communicated otherwise to him.

The whole credit card issue is a red herring. Credit cards get swapped out all the time (account number changes, fraud, lost/stolen cards, new expiration date, mergers, etc.). The old credit card number is still tied to the new account and takes refunds.

After UA has played dirty with the OP, the only strategy I can think of is to utilize UA's resources until they cough something up.

File the EU claim against OS for the denied boarding (use UA's own admissions that they goofed as evidence the denied boarding was in error). OS will have to fight it out with UA to get recourse, but at least it will get attention.

File a DOT complaint against UA for a post-purchase price increase, as the only way to get home was to buy a second ticket at current available fares, which is a post-purchase price increase, which is illegal. Spin this part as an error that UA later acknowledged with the DOT. Don't spend too much time on the fraud, it's irrelevant. UA wanted you to pay more money to fly, that's a problem.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:19 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Bear96
But it is kind of a different situation, isn't it. I suspect most cases of mileage fraud involve a FF program member selling upgrades or flights. If the airline contacts the member to question the usage, the member is likely to say it is a valid usage and the itin should not be cancelled - even though it is clearly against the terms of the program. So from the airline's view, most of the time the customer really is in cahoots to defraud the airline.
I don't know what percentage of fraud is the account holder's doing versus some malefactor doing it without the account holder's knowledge. Either way, I'd argue UA has an ethical duty not to assume the former and instead to contact the account holder accordingly, and—failing that—to allow the flight to happen and pick up the pieces afterward. This ethical duty is acutely true nearer the time of travel. From a business ethics standpoint, UA owes the OP compensation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.