Search

Status Match from United to United?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, MR Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Status Match from United to United?

Happy Thanksgiving all,

I did some searching but didn't see anything on this. I'm a 1k who is losing status at the end of this year. After a year-long project in my home city, I'm headed back on the road.

I think I'll drop all the way to silver (and perhaps that will only be maintained by my Marriott status).

My question: I'll be flying aggressively at the start of the year, so can I use a challenge program to maintain my status on United? I could status match to American and switch cleanly and start a new loyalty program, but I am (begrudgingly) a United man (like a Dapper Dan man, but slightly less-Clooney-esque).

Let me know what you think! As always, I'm very thankful for your collected wit and wisdom.

Cheers,
CoORD
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by coORDinates
I'll be flying aggressively at the start of the year, so can I use a challenge program to maintain my status on United?
Probably not.

I could status match to American and switch cleanly and start a new loyalty program, but I am (begrudgingly) a United man (like a Dapper Dan man, but slightly less-Clooney-esque).
Is the extra 6 months of status worth the switch? I'd bet no.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I could status match to American and switch cleanly and start a new loyalty program
AA's status match challenge program is currently on hiatus and not accepting enrollments. There is no official work when the new program will roll out.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Wont know until you try....

You may be given the soft landing but who knows..
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Does anyone know how much of a deposit to PassPlus you need to make to receive 1K benefits before earning 1K on PQM? Is 25K individual the silver or gold level?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:27 pm

I'd strongly suggest status matching to Alaska Airlines where your 1K will net you MVP Gold 75K for all of 2016. Credit all of your AA and DL flying there next year and then use your free option to status match back to UA at the end of 2016 when you'll likely get at least Gold or Plat.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
A few years ago I was given the opportunity to requalify as a platinum (i had dropped to silver I think) based on the usual "challenge" criteria (i believe 22k PQM in 90 days).

You probably won't be able to challenge into 1K, but Gold or Plat may be possible.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, MR Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for the good ideas folks - I'll make some calls and see what United offers. If nothing exciting, I'll take a look at Alaska.

Cheers,
CoORD
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Here is the link to PassPlus thread, looks like 45K spend commitment for 1K, 25K for Gold...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.