Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Death on UA 995 SFO-ORD Arriving 5 AM [26 Nov, 2015]??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

My daughter was delayed deplaning UA 995 this morning when ambulances met the aircraft. Pax were told to stay seated so paramedics could board, but then the paramedics did not board and pax deplaned. As she deplaned she passed a motionless passenger lying across three seats.

Does anyone know what happened?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Hope it wasn't, especially on Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: PMUA
unfortunately happens
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pdsales
My daughter was delayed deplaning UA 995 this morning when ambulances met the aircraft. Pax were told to stay seated so paramedics could board, but then the paramedics did not board and pax deplaned. As she deplaned she passed a motionless passenger lying across three seats.

Does anyone know what happened?
Nothing on SFGate so far.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It's truly sad when death visits any flight, but there has to be a better way to handle these events than just laying the body out over a row of seats. Hopefully, the deceased was at least covered by some of those thin blankets that UA stocks in F.

Singapore Airlines has the best protocols for such events, and even built a corpse closet into its ultra-long haul A340 aircraft. See:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...try.travelnews

I wonder if the A350s will come equipped with such a storage space?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
It's truly sad when death visits any flight, but there has to be a better way to handle these events than just laying the body out over a row of seats. Hopefully, the deceased was at least covered by some of those thin blankets that UA stocks in F.

Singapore Airlines has the best protocols for such events, and even built a corpse closet into its ultra-long haul A340 aircraft. See:

Interesting quote from that article (bolding mine).

Unfortunately given the space constraints in an aircraft cabin, it is not always possible to find a row of seats where the deceased passenger can be placed and covered in a dignified manner, although this is always the preferred option.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by transportprof

I believe SQ removed the 'corpse closets' not long after the A345s entered service, and they were not installed on any other aircraft.

An awful lot of wasted space for an extraordinarily rare contingency. Generally speaking, the deceased passenger will be attended to and removed by EMS personnel as soon as the aircraft is on a gate, with all passengers remaining in place. The situation the OP described is unusual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.