Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by kb1992
This surprised me.

Many of us book mileage tickets, sometimes same routing on different days. When our schedule is finalized, we decide which one to fly and which ones to cancel.

How can UA close your account?

Not to mention you are GS and 1.8 MM.
Booking multiple routings on different days when you know you're only going to fly one of them is, strictly speaking, a violation of MP rules, since you are booking flights you do not intend to take, right?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Originally Posted by physioprof
booking multiple routings on different days when you know you're only going to fly one of them is, strictly speaking, a violation of mp rules, since you are booking flights you do not intend to take, right?
i was flying with a paid ticket and my wife with a award ticket in the same route
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
How can i contact the insider person
When viewing a post from them (see bleow), click on their handle "UA Insider" (It is in green). A menu appears with one of the options "send a private message to UA Insider" Click on that option and you should be all set to compose your message.

The first post in this link is from UA Insider.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-s-future.html

Good luck.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
In the OP's case he is well within the published rules of the MP program. He is not booking travel that he doesn't intend for his wife to take. He has every intention of her travelling when he books the ticket, but then if he feels fine to travel alone, they make the decision to not have her fly and cancel the ticket at that time.

I booked a work trip recently and also booked an award ticket for my SO to accompany me so we could spend a weekend in San Francisco. She tried as hard as she could to get the necessary time off work, but ultimately was unsuccessful. So we cancelled her ticket. Did I violate the rules here? If not, how is that any different than the OP's case?

If UA does not want Plats and above to book award tickets and then cancel them at the last minute, they should change the rules. Either say that we need to cancel X days in advance to avoid a fee, or say that if we cancel more than Y times in a month we will have to pay a fee. Don't publish a benefit and then say you are closing my account and confiscating miles because I used that benefit more than you might like. That is straight up fraud IMHO.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soccerdad1995
in the op's case he is well within the published rules of the mp program. He is not booking travel that he doesn't intend for his wife to take. He has every intention of her travelling when he books the ticket, but then if he feels fine to travel alone, they make the decision to not have her fly and cancel the ticket at that time.

I booked a work trip recently and also booked an award ticket for my so to accompany me so we could spend a weekend in san francisco. She tried as hard as she could to get the necessary time off work, but ultimately was unsuccessful. So we cancelled her ticket. Did i violate the rules here? If not, how is that any different than the op's case?

If ua does not want plats and above to book award tickets and then cancel them at the last minute, they should change the rules. Either say that we need to cancel x days in advance to avoid a fee, or say that if we cancel more than y times in a month we will have to pay a fee. Don't publish a benefit and then say you are closing my account and confiscating miles because i used that benefit more than you might like. That is straight up fraud imho.
i agree if they want to charge to change then charge not just send me to curve and steal my miles cancel all my holiday tickets and stab me in the back if i would have paid money to make those changes ua would not have cared
if i would have done this always yes i am bad i did since my issue happend
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
In the OP's case he is well within the published rules of the MP program.
Not completely...

Just taking the UA/MP POV, they may see this as abuse of the MP program as (if the award travel was in Y) the GS would upgrade via CPU (into PN) with the wife on the award ticket via the companion upgrade benefit + GS award ticket upgrade and then split it off/cancel.

Regardless, UA MP tends to be pretty strict about account cancellations. I suggest the OP try appealing via all routes... at the very least, get the ban overturned and be able to signup a MP account again (which i've heard is usually the case).
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
In the OP's case he is well within the published rules of the MP program. He is not booking travel that he doesn't intend for his wife to take. He has every intention of her travelling when he books the ticket, but then if he feels fine to travel alone, they make the decision to not have her fly and cancel the ticket at that time.

I booked a work trip recently and also booked an award ticket for my SO to accompany me so we could spend a weekend in San Francisco. She tried as hard as she could to get the necessary time off work, but ultimately was unsuccessful. So we cancelled her ticket. Did I violate the rules here? If not, how is that any different than the OP's case?

If UA does not want Plats and above to book award tickets and then cancel them at the last minute, they should change the rules. Either say that we need to cancel X days in advance to avoid a fee, or say that if we cancel more than Y times in a month we will have to pay a fee. Don't publish a benefit and then say you are closing my account and confiscating miles because I used that benefit more than you might like. That is straight up fraud IMHO.
Completely agree.

The Draconian punishment to OP by confiscating his 5 million miles is shocking and arbitrarily.

If UA doesn't like Plat/1K to make last minute cancellations, why not issue a new rule that any award can't be canceled within 24 hours of flight?

On a separate note, the OP booked UA metal awards? If it were *A awards, then UA doesn't lose any perceived revenue?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 5, 2015 at 1:45 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wonder whether your documented medical condition (PTSD) would qualify you to be accommodated under United's commitment to transporting passengers with disabilities? If you now travel with an emotional support animal, I would think United does have some obligation to accommodate you. Perhaps there is a part of the United organization dealing with disabilities that might be more open to re-considering your situation?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

We always paid in flew in Y never asked to be upgrede because most where long hauls the times we got it where upgrades because Y was overbooked .
my wife was GS too as MM benefit i just want to have my account back they can take the award miles that where there which was over 500000 just let me get them back the old fashion way let show them i am still loyal .

Every person deserves a second chance because it was not done with bad intente
Originally Posted by edcho
Not completely...

Just taking the UA/MP POV, they may see this as abuse of the MP program as (if the award travel was in Y) the GS would upgrade via CPU (into PN) with the wife on the award ticket via the companion upgrade benefit + GS award ticket upgrade and then split it off/cancel.

Regardless, UA MP tends to be pretty strict about account cancellations. I suggest the OP try appealing via all routes... at the very least, get the ban overturned and be able to signup a MP account again (which i've heard is usually the case).
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
Every person deserves a second chance because it was not done with bad intente
While I agree... UA MP has a history of not giving many of those unfortunately (history is not on your side). Like I said, try all avenues and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by edcho; Nov 5, 2015 at 10:59 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Like a loyal customer always flew on UA metal nothing with other star carriers and i have paid many times this year change fees on my tickets and no problem UA siad nothing when they got money from me with my paid tickets
Originally Posted by kb1992
Completely agree.

I don't understand why people are defending UA on this. The Draconian punishment to OP by confiscating his 5 million miles is shocking and arbitrarily.

If UA doesn't like Plat/1K to make last minute cancellations, why not issue a new rule that any award can't be canceled within 24 hours of flight?

On a separate note, the OP booked UA metal awards? If it were *A awards, then UA doesn't lose any perceived revenue?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:00 am
Original Poster

if they wanted a letter i told them i could send it that was from back in november 2014 and this all happend in 2015 i was in the process when this heppend to start to travel with support animal when they close the account there where no tickets issued for my wife just for the whole familky for the christmas vacaction so i was working on the the way i fly nownow i just not fare
Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder whether your documented medical condition (PTSD) would qualify you to be accommodated under United's commitment to transporting passengers with disabilities? If you now travel with an emotional support animal, I would think United does have some obligation to accommodate you. Perhaps there is a part of the United organization dealing with disabilities that might be more open to re-considering your situation?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:28 am
ont

In the OP's case he is well within the published rules of the MP program. He is not booking travel that he doesn't intend for his wife to take. He has every intention of her travelling when he books the ticket, but then if he feels fine to travel alone, they make the decision to not have her fly and cancel the ticket at that time. . .
Can't share your view.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it to the extent of abusing it.

I don't think that cancel and redeposit feature was designed or intended to be used to avoid buying refundable fare on regularly scheduled trips when you have reasons to believe you won't be taking it.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I really hope this works out for you OP. I used to work with a friend who was in a similar accident and needed to travel for his profession. The week leading up to each trip was horrible for him, and it was always about 50/50 if he was going to be able to just stay on the plane. The last time I flew with him when the door shut he had a breakdown - and he was never able to fly again and took a new job regionally - he would literally drive to every meeting - sometimes driving all the way across the country - that's how powerful his fear of flying became because of his plane accident. this was many years ago so not sure if it would be the equivalent of PTSD - but having seen someone suffer from this in person I have great respect for what you are enduring.

Be well and travel safe.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:34 am
ont

Originally Posted by transportprof
The problem is that OP didn't let UA know of his disability. No knowledge of disability = no obligation to accommodate. Hopefully OP can submit documentation to the UA ADA compliance unit and get his GS account back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.