Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the earlier 2015's thread (now closed):
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by soriano
Wanted to verify about re-qualifying for Gold.

I need 4,677 PQM to reach that level.

I am currently at Gold and I need to take a trip on Copa next month.

If I buy from the United website, I would take 8 x $1000 (although I read that I need to subtract any taxes or govt surcharges?) = 8,000 PQM? thus qualifying?

If I buy from a 3rd party website, I would receive PQM based on Fare Class? In this case 75% (Class S)

This is my last shot to requalify and want to make sure it would just take this one trip.

Thanks.
You are calculating RDMs, not PQMs. You get 1 PQM for every real (BIS) mile flown. That means you would need to actually fly those ~4.5k miles. Doesn't matter if bought with Copa or United, they will be the same.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
I have read the following on my fare rules:

CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHARGE USD 300.00.
) WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE.
NOTE -
--
CHANGE MADE TO OTHER THAN THE FIRST TICKETED
FLIGHT COUPON

Does that mean that I can change the flight for free as long as it's during the same day?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
I have read the following on my fare rules:

CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHARGE USD 300.00.
) WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE.
NOTE -
--
CHANGE MADE TO OTHER THAN THE FIRST TICKETED
FLIGHT COUPON

Does that mean that I can change the flight for free as long as it's during the same day?
No it means you will pay $300 for any change.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
... Does that mean that I can change the flight for free as long as it's during the same day?
No it means you will pay $300 for any change.
But Same Day Change (SDC) rules override the ticket rules and changes fitting the SDC rules (such as 24 hours prior to travel - new & old and all UA metal) will be less (and based on status).

The "waived for scheduled changes" refers to UA initiated schedule changes
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But Same Day Change (SDC) rules override the ticket rules and changes fitting the SDC rules (such as 24 hours prior to travel - new & old and all UA metal) will be less (and based on status).
That wasn't OP's question. He was asking about the fare rules he quoted in his post.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:21 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
What's the best way to upgrade TXL-EWR-SFO from a P fare to F on a UA 764? Is it worth it? How much better is UA F than J?

(Fwiw: I flew here on LX via SFO-ZRH-TXL and the J product was pretty mediocre—except for the food, which was great. Had a lot of issues with the air quality on that old A340 plane making me so sick I couldn't breathe lying flat, and my throat was in pain the entire time.)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
What's the best way to upgrade TXL-EWR-SFO from a P fare to F on a UA 764? Is it worth it? How much better is UA F than J?
The TXL-EWR is typically a 2-class 764, when are you seeing 3-class?

On P fares (on 3-class) GPU are not usable. So $$$ upgrades or miles+copay are the options.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Is there still a way to get the old united.com to load?

I'm currently investigating my options for an award ticket using UA miles, but the new united.com search engine appears to be filtering out the flights I'm looking for. I've looked all the way to 330 days out and not seeing what I expect. The flight in question used to show up reliably using the search engine on the old site, so I'm guessing it's more of a website issue (probably intentional - yeah, friendly skies...) rather than a 100% lack of availability.

I haven't resorted yet to searching on ANA/EF (will try that next) but this experience raised a wider question I'm hoping someone here can answer:

Is there any way to still get the old united.com site to load?

(I know there used to be a trick to do that, but it doesn't seem to be working any more, at least not for me.)

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I've looked all the way to 330 days out and not seeing what I expect. The flight in question used to show up reliably using the search engine on the old site
Are you sure the flight still exists? Schedules change all the time.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you sure the flight still exists? Schedules change all the time.
Yes, the flight definitely exists .

Actually, the flight DOES appear on UA.com in a search. What seems odd (and makes me suspect UA is trying to hide availability, but only partially succeeding) is that the calendar view shows available seats in "Saver Economy" (tan color, every day) and the calendar also shows "Saver Economy & premium cabin" (green color, a few days midweek for a few weeks). A reasonable, predictable pattern - so far so good, right?...

But when I select one of the "green days" the list below the calendar only shows the availability for Economy - under Business Saver award (and all the other premium awards), it just says "Not available."

There is only one flight that meets my search criteria, and that flight is shown (it's on TK, a *A partner). In economy, seats every day. It shows zero availability in any premium cabin on green days.

Unless I am reading this wrong, there appears to be a basic contradiction between what the calendar shows (green 'Saver Award Economy & premium cabin'), and what's listed below it (only 'Economy'). It looks like this on many days.

FWIW I've also looked on the ANA and Aeroplan sites; they both show Premium cabin availability on that flight on those days where the UA calendar shows "green".

I can think of a few possible explanations for this discrepancy...
  1. I am simply reading the results wrong. (This seems unlikely, as the results appear quite simple and clear (except for the seeming discrepancy), but I'd love to be educated.)
  2. There's some technical glitch on ua.com. (Has happened before, will happen again.)
  3. United is actively seeking to discourage MP members from redeeming premium cabin award seats on this partner. (Ditto.)

My confusion stems from the calendar showing 'green' for those days, but seeing no premium cabin award availability (at any level) listed in the results below the calendar.

I have searched this flight previously on the old ua.com site. The premium cabin availability showed as one would expect. So I'd like to try the old site if it's still available, to compare results.

Hope the above makes sense. Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Hope the above makes sense. Thanks.
Not really. Provide real details and someone can probably help for real. Hypothetical discussions are much harder and less likely to result in a useful response.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA
You are calculating RDMs, not PQMs. You get 1 PQM for every real (BIS) mile flown. That means you would need to actually fly those ~4.5k miles. Doesn't matter if bought with Copa or United, they will be the same.
Thank you.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Next Sunday dec 6, flying from ORD-EWR on a 3 class 764

I got a B class ticket with auto upgrade to Business class

Will they upgrade the higher Business class to fill in first and then CPU to fill in business class like a regular domestic flight? ie - who goes to F or GF or whatever you call it on a domestic flight (I think the website said First/Business/Economy)

Basically, I couldn't determine if they treat a 3 class bird any different for domestic travel - especially a 2 hour flight and if they will pack the front of the plane like normal?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Does anyone know what is meant by Meal 1 and Meal 6 in a reservation?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does anyone know what is meant by Meal 1 and Meal 6 in a reservation?
Those are placeholders during itinerary changes. Check again later, and eventually there will be a proper meal indication. Others may know better, but I think those placeholder codes have no interpretation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.