Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I get mileage credit by checking in, but not boarding?

Can I get mileage credit by checking in, but not boarding?

Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Once on a really early flight I forgot to pick up my carry on before I boarded, then when I went to put it in the bin realized I didn't have it. When I went back out to the gate, the agent stopped me on the way out and made me hand over my bp, which she then returned after I'd grabbed my bag and come back to re-board.
Similar experience for me and the GA was a bit testy but did let me go and get the missing item.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I have boarded a plane a few times in the past and left for personal reasons. I got the miles and never thought anything about it. The flts left on time. I did not ask for a refund. These were business trips mainly LAX-SFO or LAS-SFO/DEN. I also did not care if I got the miles - but I did. These were on UA. I have also done the same thing on AS, AA and DL (all domestic). I think an International flt might be a huge difference.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kettle1
I have boarded a plane a few times in the past and left for personal reasons. I got the miles and never thought anything about it. The flts left on time. I did not ask for a refund. These were business trips mainly LAX-SFO or LAS-SFO/DEN. I also did not care if I got the miles - but I did. These were on UA. I have also done the same thing on AS, AA and DL (all domestic). I think an International flt might be a huge difference.
So this is absolutely terrifying to me - someone can just leave a flight after boarding with no apparent concern - what a massive security issue considering our past here in the US - unless I am missing something....
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Oh come one really? When they do a final count - which they do 99% of the time - and see you are missing - it's a real security issue and also multiple other issues - and then you delay the flight and everyone else on it while they try and figure out why you aren't on the plane even though you scanned your BP - all for mileage credit? That's just wrong, IMO....
I'm not going to guilt trip you for the thought, but I will say I was once stuck on the tarmac, waiting to take off for almost 45 minutes because of a mismatch between the passenger count and the "official" manifest - and yes it was me. I was on the plane standby, and I and another passenger had the same seat assignment. It wasn't an issue, the plane wasn't that full, so one of us took another seat, but when the FA's took the count (after they closed the door) it took forever to figure out (and both I and my seat mate mentioned quickly that we thought it may be us).

Just don't do it.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:43 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I cannot believe some people are being so casual or even suggesting that this is remotely a good idea.

BOARDING A PLANE AND THEN SNEAKING OFF BY AVOIDING TELLING THE GATE AGENT IS A MASSIVE SECURITY ISSUE, AND I WOULD GO SO FAR AS TO SAY THIS MAY BE ILLEGAL.

Don't even think about doing this.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:46 pm

What exactly is the security issue being posed by doing this?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
First off I do not check bags, if that matters on a domestic USA flt. I do not think it does.

Second, I am usually called to go to another city for a major problem within my company. I leave one plane, buy a new ticket and board the other flight.

I am already past the TSA - so I am cleared to board whatever flt I want to board. What is the problem?

This happens many times. I have offices all over the USA. If I am flying LAS-DEN who cares if I get off and fly to SFO?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dickerso
What exactly is the security issue being posed by doing this?
Just google KE858. Passenger left a device in overhead bin then sneaked off plane. You know what happened to KE858.

TSA has gotten lax over the years. In years right after 911, any passenger getting off would have triggered a security breach which entails entire flight be re-screened.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:25 pm

Also there is a safety aspect to this. The manifest is based on BPs scanned at the gate. If the flight crew needs to declare an emergency ATC will ask for "souls on board" i.e. total of paxs and crew (also remains in hold, but there is a whole other story). In the event of a crash rescue crews may be looking for the last "missing" pax.
BTW if you need to leave a flight just let the GA know and they can offload you. Granted you will not get mileage for the flight.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Just google KE858. Passenger left a device in overhead bin then sneaked off plane. You know what happened to KE858.

TSA has gotten lax over the years. In years right after 911, any passenger getting off would have triggered a security breach which entails entire flight be re-screened.
That was an International flt. Since 9/11 I have walked off dozens of flts (all domestic). What is the problem? I was screened by the TSA.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TerryK

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
In the event of a crash rescue crews may be looking for the last "missing" pax.
BTW if you need to leave a flight just let the GA know and they can offload you. Granted you will not get mileage for the flight.
Yes it seems rather remarkable anyone would argue that sneaking off the aircraft after your bp has been scanned is somehow "okay."
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:36 am
TA

Originally Posted by kettle1
That was an International flt. Since 9/11 I have walked off dozens of flts (all domestic). What is the problem? I was screened by the TSA.
I hope you're talking about walking off a flight, where you tell the gate agent you're leaving. I hope you're not talking about sneaking off without notifying the gate agent or trying to bypass the gate agent, which is what the guy is suggesting.

Surely you can understand what the difference and problem with that is.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:54 am

I personally think the universal policy should be once u check in, you should automatically receive the mileages. After all, you already have paid for your fare, airlines have received your money, even if you forfeit your money, you should still be allowed your mileage.

Maybe you can ask the gate agent to scan your bp and let you go?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 13, 2015 at 1:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:28 am
TA

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Maybe you can ask the gate agent to scan your bp and let you go?
No!

Stop giving this guy false hope. There is no way to get the miles without sitting your a$$ in the seat and taking the flight.

No gate agent will agree to do something this dumb and against the rules.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
If the ticket cost $149, the max mileage you'd get out of it is probably ~1300 - 1400 if you are a 1K or GS. If you don't have any status, you are looking at 600ish miles. Is it really worth a trip to the airport and the hassle to try to board the plane for those miles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.