Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I bet DL's deal (if one exists) with Starbucks precludes UA from advertising the availability of Starbucks. UA could still buy/serve it but not say/promote what it is. Maybe that'll push UA to a deal with Dunkin' Donuts, which will fit a Chicago-based airline better than the Seattle-based SBUX and Seattle-hubbed DL.
There's always Intelligentsia - Chicago born.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Yeah, but DD has more nationwide promotional/recognition value.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, but DD has more nationwide promotional/recognition value.
But "Proudly serving our hometown brew" works as a great tag line.

There is, however, a DD in their building's lobby - perhaps Oscar wandered in one day and they made him an offer.

Last edited by milepig; Oct 12, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Intelligentsia is quite popular here in L.A. The name "Intelligentsia" might solicit a big , but admittedly, it has a more casual and laid back attitude--at least the ones here do. Heck, anyone that allows itself to be made fun of deserves some kudos.
Conan O'Brien Brings His Coffee Snob Producer To Intelligentsia (laist)
It's a 8:30 minute sketch, perfect for a Monday workday coffee break.

I'll take the liberty to say that a good number of us do not base our airline purchase decisions on good or bad coffee. But IMO we are intently watching UA's decision on this, because it represents a big clue about what UA's attitude toward its customers will be going forward.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
But IMO we are intently watching UA's decision on this, because it represents a big clue about what UA's attitude toward its customers will be going forward.
"UA's coffee selection > reading the tea leaves"
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:30 pm

I vote Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf - CA born.

But doesn't matter...they'll figure something out.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

But "Proudly serving our hometown brew" works as a great tag line.

There is, however, a DD in their building's lobby - perhaps Oscar wandered in one day and they made him an offer.
There's a Starbucks at Willis.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
You think they'd be able to provide enough volume for UA?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I wouldn't mind seeing Illy or Lavazza.

Or, to placate my Cuban heritage, Cafe Bustelo
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Munoz can already chalk up a small win. Pages of FT'ers happily discussing the merits of different coffee choices instead of discussing how terrible the existing coffee is and what that choice indicates about UA management's attitude and its "war on passengers".

:-)
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
The real issue with this, or Blue bottle of Ritual (what I usually drink now in San Francisco) or for that matter Illy, is cost. Illy is about 2 times the cost of a mass market premium coffee like Starbucks. Blue bottle/Ritual/Intelligentsia is more like 3-4 times the cost of a a cheaper brew from Starbucks. No way UA spends that kind of $$$$. VX - which serves Phil's Coffee (which is in turn about 3/5 the price of Ritual/Blue bottle) is probably well past what UA will spend.

The Italian second tier makers (Lavazza being the largest) may be a good fit, otherwise its the big US premium makers that I would expect are the place they will look. I think Peet's will be too much $$$ for them.

Originally Posted by abaheti
Munoz can already chalk up a small win. Pages of FT'ers happily discussing the merits of different coffee choices instead of discussing how terrible the existing coffee is and what that choice indicates about UA management's attitude and its "war on passengers".

:-)
Its a big win. This forum has been filled with unhappy people. Smarter management, and the tone has already started to change. All it took was getting the Texas fool out of Willis Tower.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2015 at 4:35 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I vote Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf
+1. ^
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
For what it's worth, I've heard Starbucks is out because Delta's contract with Starbucks prohibits any additional US-based airlines serving Starbucks inflight.
AS serves Starbucks as well. But it's possible that AS signed before the DL deal. It's also possible that UA is just making that up.

When they moved to Freshpoo, one of the propaganda bits the HouCrew tried to throw out there was that Starbucks was getting out of the in-flight coffee business. Of course shortly thereafter, AS signed, and then DL signed.

Fortunately this sort of communications strategy only works when they have full control over the media and people's access to information.

Another one they tried this approach with was when they moved to Tito's. They floated a rumor that Absolut was no longer making minis. Around that time, DL had begun the move from Skyy to Absolut, and hasn't changed since, an DL serves in minis as well.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by channa
AS serves Starbucks as well. But it's possible that AS signed before the DL deal. It's also possible that UA is just making that up.

When they moved to Freshpoo, one of the propaganda bits the HouCrew tried to throw out there was that Starbucks was getting out of the in-flight coffee business. Of course shortly thereafter, AS signed, and then DL signed.

Fortunately this sort of communications strategy only works when they have full control over the media and people's access to information.

Another one they tried this approach with was when they moved to Tito's. They floated a rumor that Absolut was no longer making minis. Around that time, DL had begun the move from Skyy to Absolut, and hasn't changed since, an DL serves in minis as well.
Although Tito's was a inside job, it was the best decision Smisek made. Tito's needs to stay.

As far as Coffee, it won't be starbucks. What about Juan Valdez?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
As far as Coffee, it won't be starbucks. What about Juan Valdez?
Que Bueno!

Can you buy that in the US? It's bargain priced for the quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.