Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
AA's current coffee is what we FTers on the UA board affectionately called "Fresh Poo."

I've not had a good cup of coffee on UA since Starbucks left a long time ago. At this point, I wouldn't mind Duncan Donuts or Tim Horton's, both of which I love. But if this rumor turns out to be true, I would expect a more upmarket name -- let it be Peet's for us Californians who've been behind it from the very beginning! Regardless, perceptions matter. If Munoz is truly serious about "early wins," a gesture like this can go a long way in conveying a new UA attitude.

Can't wait to find out the verdict!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Only way to drink the swill they serve now is, indeed, with Baileys. I agree.

(Though it probably just tastes better as Baileys stand-alone :P)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
let it be Peet's for us Californians who've been behind it from the very beginning!
Please don't lump all Californians together. I think Peet's is over roasted and bitter.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wholesale coffee prices have been cut in half over the previous year plus emerging markets where coffee is produced have suffered severe currency devaluations. UA could easily negotiate a cheaper price for a superior product. This is a no brainer. UA would be sacrificing nothing to make this change for customers.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
I think Peet's is over roasted and bitter.
I venture to say it was French Roast? which typically uses lower quality beans and a darker roast to cover their badness. Peet's has a number of medium and light roasts that are quite nice. I once had a conversation with Peet's tea buyer, who of course knows the coffee buyer, so I got somewhat of an understanding of Peet's position. For one, more people are discovering that "dark" and "French" don't mean better, so it is making more lighter roasted coffees these days. IMO, the real coffee atrocity is committed by Blue Bottle down in Oakland -- with a big dose of snobbery to boot.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I venture to say it was French Roast? which typically uses lower quality beans and a darker roast to cover their badness. Peet's has a number of medium and light roasts that are quite nice. I once had a conversation with Peet's tea buyer, who of course knows the coffee buyer, so I got somewhat of an understanding of Peet's position. For one, more people are discovering that "dark" and "French" don't mean better, so it is making more lighter roasted coffees these days. IMO, the real coffee atrocity is committed by Blue Bottle down in Oakland -- with a big dose of snobbery to boot.
I've tried many different roasts from Peet's. Sorry, I don't care for them.

Now if UA would serve a 100% Kona or Ka'u that would be awesome.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:53 pm

I hope y'all are just nitpicking. If not then expect to stick with your double Baileys after United announces the new coffee
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
I'm hoping they improve not only the coffee, but also the brew strength. Nothing I hate more than drinking a watery cup of coffee.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by demkr
The coffee is definitely a bigger issue than I thought it would be. Muńoz mentioned it several times in his write-ups on unitedairtime.com. I miss Starbucks, but the current brew (after the immediate post-merger brew was removed) seemed okay to me. I don't have coffee too much on airplanes b/c I usually don't fly in the morning. Though it's good to have a small cup before landing on an int'l flight.

It sounds like improvements are coming all around. This is good, good news.
Originally Posted by enviroian
I hope this change to a new coffee brand isn't touted as some amazing feat. Who the F cares? There is a laundry list of many more significant problem areas than a cup of coffee.

Changing coffee is symbolic and of significant importance to United customers.

First it demonstrates that customer preference trumps Texas cronyism. That's a huge mindshift from the previous regime. That's why people harp on it so much on UA -- this man came in, cut 1,000 things, coffee being just one, but a visible one.

Second, it gets rid of a lot of noise. If changing the coffee can increase their customer sat scores by a fraction of a point and increase their customer referral metrics even slightly, that's significant. With the amount of noise it's created, from a perception management standpoint alone, the coffee has to go.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Changing coffee is symbolic and of significant importance to United customers....With the amount of noise it's created, from a perception management standpoint alone, the coffee has to go.
Agreed. It is also a great symbol to the UA staff that what customers think matters again. Don't underestimate how much a change in tone can impact employee empowerment, morale, and attitude. Knowing management cares about customers helps make staff behave accordingly.

As a customer, it is meaningful. I viewed it as "Seriously? Oh for god's sake, if they're willing to nickel and dime something like this, I can't imagine what else is coming" -- and I was confirmed. :-)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
IMO, the real coffee atrocity is committed by Blue Bottle down in Oakland -- with a big dose of snobbery to boot.
I really like the stores in Oakland, though I agree that the crowds at the ones in SF are unbearable.

But I would definitely root for UA to pick Blue Bottle! It'd be an easy way to lock down a lot of those corporate tech accounts I'm sure. I don't work in tech and despise those people who have destroyed the cultural fabric of the Bay Area, but I would vow to book UA 100% of the time if I could get a New Orleans style on any flight in their network.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO, the real coffee atrocity is committed by Blue Bottle down in Oakland -- with a big dose of snobbery to boot.
Blue Bottle started in SF.

Like many of SF's more annoying exports, they've since moved across the Bay due to lower rents. But please don't call them Oakland.

Originally Posted by char777
But I would definitely root for UA to pick Blue Bottle!
More undrinkable swill
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:56 pm

I really like the stores in Oakland, though I agree that the crowds at the ones in SF are unbearable.

But I would definitely root for UA to pick Blue Bottle! It'd be an easy way to lock down a lot of those corporate tech accounts I'm sure. I don't work in tech and despise those people who have destroyed the cultural fabric of the Bay Area, but I would vow to book UA 100% of the time if I could get a New Orleans style on any flight in their network.
I don't think Blue Bottle would allow their coffee to be served in flight. A big part of the Blue Bottle brand is the meticulous preparation of coffee, which can't be replicated in a plane. I think a mass-produced, lower-quality blend is what's achievable for a network carrier.

Now serving Blue Bottle in the UC is a good idea...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:02 pm

Personally, I find the snobbery to be at the pinnacle at the flagship store on Webster Street, on other side of Oakland Chinatown, on any given workday morning. Every other guy in line has a knit skull cap, a Macbook Pro, and a soy latte (a most hypocritical fad food, imo). I may be understating this.

That said, it would be a major coup for UA to partner with Blue Bottle (perhaps more for UA). It would get the attention of 20-30 something hipsters in S.F., N.Y., L.A., and Tokyo, and one-up DL on the coolness factor--superficial yes, but UA kinda needs a boost in superficial perceptions at the moment.

Do I think Blue Bottle is likely? How about a 10% chance, just for kicks.

Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't think Blue Bottle would allow their coffee to be served in flight.
Very good point, but they've also started selling ice coffee in paper cartons in supermarkets, so they might be evolving.

Originally Posted by Kacee
But please don't call them Oakland.
I didn't know that they began in S.F., so I guess you are right. But I must say that the Webster Street location in Oakland is really being set as the flagship, given the amount of space and the fact that the beans are roasted onsite.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Oct 11, 2015 at 6:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't think Blue Bottle would allow their coffee to be served in flight.
Correct. They put contractual restrictions in their distribution agreements prohibiting pre-grinding of their beans.

Do I think Blue Bottle is likely? How about a 10% chance, just for kicks.
Zero percent, thank goodness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.