Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
This honestly sums up UA's business model. Why do you think the United Club in Narita is the best worldwide, when the ones in the US are pure {poor}?
I'd rank London Heathrow's UC above Narita, but it also proves your point.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2015 at 11:34 am Reason: Quote update to reflect Moderator edit
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by transportprof
The only people I feel sorry for are the joint-venture customers that are duped into flying UA through their partner codeshares while stealing half of the revenue. To think that UA makes the same amount of money whether someone flies NH F or LX F compared to UA F is robbery.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:45 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
"On coffee ... "

Too many popups and signups.

Originally Posted by SwisherTown
"Munoz wasn't divulging specifics but said he plans "early wins" for customers and employees — things that don't cost the company much but are meaningful to people. For customers, in addition to upgraded coffee ..."
This seems like a good sight: big improvement if true (well not ANYTHING, though it may seem that way) if ditching brown swill.

And I agree that people probably didn't leave over coffee, but it was the death by 1,000 cuts @:-)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The coffee is definitely a bigger issue than I thought it would be. Muńoz mentioned it several times in his write-ups on unitedairtime.com. I miss Starbucks, but the current brew (after the immediate post-merger brew was removed) seemed okay to me. I don't have coffee too much on airplanes b/c I usually don't fly in the morning. Though it's good to have a small cup before landing on an int'l flight.

It sounds like improvements are coming all around. This is good, good news.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I hope this change to a new coffee brand isn't touted as some amazing feat. Who the F cares? There is a laundry list of many more significant problem areas than a cup of coffee.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by transportprof
Heathrow UC is much nicer than Narita UC. Narita is too busy and it doesn't have a very good selection of food. After 20 times at that club I can barely stand to eat anything there. I often walk to the ANA lounge instead (it is a 10 min walk).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
At the risk of over generalizing, coffee is a lot more significant in some cultures than in others. Latin cultures have taken coffee seriously for a lot longer than the Anglo-American culture has. I'll bet that Mr. Munoz grew up with good coffee as a basic fact of life.

Mr. Smisek appeared to have been raised by wolves.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
This is one of those cheap, fast and easy to implement "quick wins" from the company in crisis / new CEO handbook - like the free drink for 1k/GS.

I hope it translates into meaningful and significant changes we like in the future as I sit here on my UEX delayed flight into EWR - typical UA Sunday for me...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
This is a Big Deal (tm) for me. Much, much, much more important than the free drink for 1K's.

I went through a serious weight loss regimen about 2 years ago and that means all I drink these days, really, is water & coffee. Lots of both.

Typical EWR-SFO run, I'll have 4 or 5 cups.

So, having "real" coffee for those? That's tremendous. A much more symbolic win than real dollars for Oscar, but an easy for him to get some early wins under his belt - "We're listening!"
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
This is a Big Deal (tm) for me. Much, much, much more important than the free drink for 1K's.

I went through a serious weight loss regimen about 2 years ago and that means all I drink these days, really, is water & coffee. Lots of both.

Typical EWR-SFO run, I'll have 4 or 5 cups.

So, having "real" coffee for those? That's tremendous. A much more symbolic win than real dollars for Oscar, but an easy for him to get some early wins under his belt - "We're listening!"
I agree with this!! I love coffee, I don't drink soda or juices. On a ORD-DEN flight, I can drink 4 cups of coffee.

This is a change that I love. Its little things like this that help. They have a ton if issues, but knocking out the little ones is pretty easy to do.

I too lost weight recently on the black coffee, water and vodka rocks diet.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
^ me too. Lay off the craft beer, drink more vodka and tequila

Personally I never found freshpoo to be that bad but when UA served Starbucks it was the best Tasting coffee in the skies.

When I read on here that Smisek was tight with the owner of freshpoo (a former CO employee I think) it just solidified to me that Smisek was even more corrupt than I thought
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keitherson
This honestly sums up UA's business model. Why do you think the United Club in Narita is the best worldwide, when the ones in the US are pure {poor}?
Narita is good, but I think HKG is better, and London's new UC is better than both.

Originally Posted by enviroian
I hope this change to a new coffee brand isn't touted as some amazing feat. Who the F cares? There is a laundry list of many more significant problem areas than a cup of coffee.
you're missing the symbolism of the coffee. What Smisek did to UA's coffee is what he did to the entire airline. Fixing the coffee isn't the only thing Oscar needs to do, but it's a positive start.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I haven't been to the new UC club in LHR T2. Does it have free JW blue label like BA does?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
you're missing the symbolism of the coffee. What Smisek did to UA's coffee is what he did to the entire airline. Fixing the coffee isn't the only thing Oscar needs to do, but it's a positive start.
While getting coffee back is a good start, I agree with this (basically what I wrote a few posts back).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Alaska serves Starbucks Pike Place Roast, which is miles ahead of what UA calls coffee. I think the coffee on AA is worse, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.