Planning a trip to Rome (flying United)

Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Planning a trip to Rome (flying United)

I have been looking at some dates in April of next year for my wife and I to fly to Rome. If we can get the saver rates we will be able to fly for 120k points roundtrip. We have about 90k Chase points, so we will need to get another 30k United points. I see united is offering 30k bonus miles with their Visa card.

If I get the card and use the points in April, can I cancel the card before the annual fee rolls around?

Also, any quick tips on traveling to Rome (places to stay, traveling to Florence, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Check some website links for mailed cards. Put in your MP # to see if you qualify for the 50k.

My friend applied the other day and was offered 50k (spending req.)+ 5k for an authorized user.

Yes you can cancel the card once you reach the 364th day so you won't have to pay the $95 annual fee as the first year is waived.

Consider using the 90k Chase points elsewhere. I think putting 90k into United is an HUGE waste/
My favorite transfer partners are Korean Skypass and Hyatt. YMMV

If you can each get 55k miles that would solve your issue.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Yeah the 55k would be huge. My wife and I could both get the card and have close to enough points to make the flight.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Yup than save your UR for either Hyatt hotels or use it towards premium cabin travel on Korean Air. Or you could use it to goto Hawaii
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Check the Italy forum for places to stay and eat. was a great source of information this past summer when the wife and I went.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.