Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What would Oscar have to do to get you to fly United again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

There are Lots of posts in various threads from people who have entirely or mostly stopped United, but used to be top elites. These got me to thinking about what would be the minimum that would be needed for me - with a new guy in charge - to restore my loyalty to United and make them my primary "go to" airline. I think its am important message to send to United about what they need to do to win back business.

I am curious what peoples old status with UA was, when they left (not the reasons, just when) and what United would need to do to "win them back."

For me (SF based GS left in 2013/2014) I would want to see:

(1) OT rate that is within a few points of those who I am flying now (VX and DL)
(2) a much better and more customer friendly approach to IRROPs, a feeling that United has my back if something bad happens, and will do whatever is necessary to get me home.
(3) GS levels that I understood and can aim for (not really interested in 1K). I am not interested in waiting for some tap on the shoulder.
(4) improvements in the coffee, booze, and food so that it matches what DL offers.
(5) see that United is committed to investing in hard product that is as good as other US flag carriers, and is moving in the right direction
(6) actually providing CPU/GPUs, and ending TODs.
(7) undoing some of the huge increases in *A J/F award pricing, i.e. making it possible for me to get something (like I used to) at the end of the day for giving my business to United
(8) an invitation to return.

Curious what other's lists are.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by spin88
(7) undoing some of the huge increases in *A J/F award pricing, i.e. making it possible for me to get something (like I used to) at the end of the day for giving my business to United
I think the tough thing that happened with the enhancements to MP was that they implemented two separate changes and both were not flyer friendly. I know some people are cleaning up now when flying on OPM, but even before the changes those flying on OPM were probably cleaning up with the bonuses that came with flying on premium fares.

I know there have been debates on other threads on OPM, but I am sure people look at money more differently when it is coming out of their own pocket vs. when they are spending money that doesn't belong to them.

I think personally members wouldn't have been so upset if only one of the changes was implemented. Two changes was just a tough pill to swallow especially when awards are capacity controlled whether by United or other Star Alliance partners.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
AVOD on domestic aircraft (adding to streaming, replacing DTV), having Delta C+ benefits for UA E+ customers, adding back sUA 757s from the desert to offshoot the still high amount of E145s, a higher than 80 percent on-time rate, more short haul mainline additions from all the hubs.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
If things are so rosey on The dAArk side and DL, why would you even consider coming back. I am in the camp to reward good behavior and reward those whom never defected.. Just a point counter point. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
7yr 1k, left November 2013, for all intents. OP covered the big 2:

My third would be restoring Tier 2 benefits(platinum) for million mile status. They can drop the partner match.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Been flying AA recently, one thing I would add to OPs list is more consistent wifi. A lot of UA planes have it, but none are as good as it is on AA with Gogo (at least non PS and e175). UA's wifi is slow, inconsistent and does not have a subscription service.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
7yr 1k, left November 2013, for all intents. OP covered the big 2:

My third would be restoring Tier 2 benefits(platinum) for million mile status. They can drop the partner match.
Pretty much my list too!

And...

Treat 1K's with some respect and stop the fawning over UGS partners/kids.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Have a competitive GF product on TPAC like they used to.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
If things are so rosey on The dAArk side and DL, why would you even consider coming back. I am in the camp to reward good behavior and reward those whom never defected.. Just a point counter point. Thanks and Safe Travels
If people didn't defect when things got bad with no end in sight, it would likely still be bad. So if any good things are coming, you can thank us for making United see that it actually has to compete on value for product and service.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Trivial to most, but: A return of consistent access to Channel 9.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:34 am

Granted, I am a UA nobody (as well as a UA never been), but really moved on after the major increase in Star Alliance Business/First Redemptions.

I would fly UNITED every now and again to visit with the Wife's parents, but after a horrendous experience I said no way am I a going to spend $$$$ to be treated like a child (long story about asking for a refill) and add that to the raise in redemption rates and I just said Adios.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
15 + year 1K until 2013. Completely, entirely loyal to UA. Really never considered OALs.

Most of my flight $$s were NOT OPM, so choices - when made- were pretty easy.
I still fly full time, using OALs and primarily purchasing premium fares.

In order to regain any loyalty from me, Oscar's team would have to convince me that they are no longer attempting to run UA jut like a larger, impersonal version of Air IAH/EWR/GUM.

I am not expecting that to happen, so my best judgement is that in their quest for pennies on the ground, they've successfully allowed 5s, 10s, and 20s to float over their collective heads.

Best of luck to all you hub captives.
Dave
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by spin88

Curious what others lists are.
(1) Get rid of unlimited domestic upgrades, bring back the UA 500 mile coupons for $50 or as earned, and clear these before offering TODs - make the upgrade process transparent.

(2) For those of us who fly on their own dime internationally: put in a true premium economy. I usually can't afford the $5000+ fare to fly business class, but will pay $2000 to get a nice PE on VS and BA. I refuse to fly in a cramped E seat for 10+ hours - if I can't get a confirmed upgrade, will no longer fly UA and take the risk! A PE is a nice middle ground. Both BA and VS fill theirs up with paying passengers on every flight.

(3) Bring your international C product up to date: it was nice 10 years ago, but almost all other carriers have a superior hard product now. For inspiration, check out BA's new PE and Business classes on the A380 - wow!

(4) Fix the seat comfort in all classes for domestic flights - many people including me, will not book a UA 319 or 737 these days!

(5) And yes, fix your domestic reliability problems.

Last edited by StingWest; Oct 10, 2015 at 8:14 am
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:00 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
International travel: be better than Air New Zealand.
Domestic travel: get me where I want to go on time.

I don't see the former happening, the latter is possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.