Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA resuming EWR - ATH; launching IAD - BCN, IAD -LIS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA resuming EWR - ATH; launching IAD - BCN, IAD -LIS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:41 am

full list of changes, including Asia and South America....

http://airlineroute.net/2015/10/10/ua-s16update2/
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:51 am

At a first glance, I was secretly hoping for ICN rather than BCN
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
NYC-ATH needs this flight and currently I see 30-50 people continuing from ORD-FRA-ATH. UA can route them via EWR. A 767 wont be hard to fill. Wouldn't be suprised if a 764 gets placed.
Anybody here as old as me to have flown all UA metal SFO-CDG-ATH! That was the day....
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Anybody here as old as me to have flown all UA metal SFO-CDG-ATH! That was the day....
727 baby!! I did it.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:59 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
EWR-ATH 4956 miles
EWR-IST 5029 miles

less than 100 miles difference? Really? You must be joking.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Mistaken more than joking, but I'm okay with that.
I think it looks longer on the map, much like SFO-HNL-GUM-MNL looks shorter on a map that SFO-NRT-MNL
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
UA is really flexing their international muscle now. Been a long time since we've seen a U.S. carrier go gangbusters like this. UA's network just gets better and better. Hopefully they have a better summer operationally to match.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
727 baby!! I did it.
Thanks! Was thinking it was a 737.....but that didn't seem right...!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Dayvan_Cowboy
Thanks for the recap, I was going to ask if someone could do this. Does anyone have a running list of adds YOY or even adds (and drops) since the merger?
Same question here, but specific to IAD. I think DUB was the last addition, but haven't we lost a few since 2012? And when did we last get two new TATL destinations announced on the same day?

Of those two, BCN really had me excited until I saw the dates - Mobile World Congress falls outside of them, so I won't get to knock three or so hours off my travel time home.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yields to IST are still probably worse than peak-season ATH, even with tourist traffic. Otherwise I doubt UA would have a problem returning to the EWR-IST market. Plus, when UA yanked EWR-IST, fuel prices were materially higher and TK was dumping a ton of capacity in the NYC market, with multiple daily 77W. They've backed off it a bit, replacing with some A330 frequencies, and deploying 777s elsewhere in their system.

ATH, like VCE and FCO, is an incredibly seasonal market, and during the peak season can even drive a reasonable amount of leisure-oriented premium cabin traffic. Surprisingly, the markets don't even require a great deal of discounting, but that kind of demand is extremely seasonal in nature, which is why UA is engaging in a lot of this type of flying to take advantage of peak demand where nonstop service may warrant a premium. The rest of the year, the nonstop goes away and traffic can simply be routed over a European hub rather than generate enough red ink to wipe out the 2Q/3Q gains.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by minnyfly
UA is really flexing their international muscle now. Been a long time since we've seen a U.S. carrier go gangbusters like this.
Since this announcement covered TATL adds, I'll point out that, in TATL YTD revenue passenger miles, UA is #3 in a 3-way race among U.S. carriers. See the early October traffic releases from the respective carriers.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:27 pm
RNE

I'm not sure why ATH is getting a bad rap. DL does 2x in the summer. The market is there for it. Aegean Airlines will also have some connecting cities that this will work for. Don't understand how UA adds a flight and now people are complaining about a dart board. Will people ever be happy? This is a fantastic use of a 767, with more 787 coming on board they finally have enough aircraft.
United shies away from some destinations because of ignorance and fear, not economics. Prime examples: ATH, BKK, CAI, IST
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
United shies away from some destinations because of ignorance and fear, not economics. Prime examples: ATH, BKK, CAI, IST
Whose ignorance and fear? Management or customers?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by transportprof
Whose ignorance and fear? Management or customers?
Or FT members?? :-:
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by N830MH
Didn't they tried EWR-ATH before? So when is that?
I remember back in the 80s when UA flew a lot of routes in Europe. I flew FRA-ATH several times on 727.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I remember back in the 80s when UA flew a lot of routes in Europe. I flew FRA-ATH several times on 727.
And Milan-Rome on a 727. I remember flying that in the early 90s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.