Wiki Posts
Search

What time of day are fares changed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
What time of day are fares changed?

Searched for the answer, but couldn't find it.

What time of day do fares get reset?

Asking because I was "slept" on a super low fare and didn't do a farelock and the next day it was gone. The days on either side have much lower fares for the same route, but have far fewer seats available so hoping that they will open up a few of the deep discount.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:37 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think fares are loaded 3x per day, if I remember an interview from a few years ago.

But I think what you are likely experiencing is a fare bucket selling out, or the time limit for advance purchase passing, not the fare itself changing.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by TA
I think fares are loaded 3x per day, if I remember an interview from a few years ago.

But I think what you are likely experiencing is a fare bucket selling out, or the time limit for advance purchase passing, not the fare itself changing.
They can be changed 3 times a day. I'm not sure all airlines actually do it 3X a day, but that is what they are allowed via the various ticketing systems. On their own systems (website) I'm not sure, but I doubt they would have seperate procedures for their own website vs. Kayak.

As TA said, it is far more likely that a fare bucket sold out, rather than the airline actually changed a fare.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depending on the market ATPCO allows loads much more frequently now. International tariffs are mostly hourly while US/Canada is 4x daily.

http://www.atpco.net/products/data-d...-transmissions

And I agree with the others that it is unlikely the fare was refiled.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Clear your cookies and try again. Also try booking on Orbitz.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In addition to what the others have said, fares also "change" at midnight at wherever your travel agent is located, either due to the fare itself expiring ("must be purchased by <date>"), or because you're now outside of an advance purchase window (eg, 21 days, 14 days, etc)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll confirm that fares can change multiple times per day. SFO-HNL has been super volatile lately, for example - I've been seeing relatively large swings ($70-120) up and down within a couple of hours.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Think the deep discount fare buckets are probably sold out, but it's an CRJ700 and there are 15E and 10E+ so it seems like they would open up something below M in the next couple of days. At least I hope they do. If it stays M or higher might as well do a P fare and get the extra segments towards 1K this year.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Thanks everyone. Think the deep discount fare buckets are probably sold out, but it's an CRJ700 and there are 15E and 10E+
Seat maps are not, have not been, and are unlikely to ever be the same as loads.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
The fare buckets are re-assessed sometime between around 2am and 5am Central Time (between 4 and 5am is common in my experience). The buckets will change during the day based on sales and cancellations, but if you are looking for more seats to be opened in discount buckets (not based on cancellations during the day), it will most likely happen during that overnight window if at all.

There can also be logic on some routes that makes discount buckets more available at various days in advance if the flight is not projected to be sold out (e.g. at 13-14 days out, 5-6-7 days out), during that overnight window.

Within a day of travel there are more frequent adjustments to fare buckets.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
The fare buckets are re-assessed sometime between around 2am and 5am Central Time (between 4 and 5am is common in my experience).
Exactly what happened V opened up and price dropped by 60%.

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
5 minutes before I book, in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.