Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Great news. Tel Aviv for Pride will be great to do n/s. Curious to see the breakup of the NZ monopoly.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
It is mostly many regrettable international flights on UA over the past couple of years that has pushed me to DL.

Given the extensive delays and cancellations on UA international flights on another thread here, I wonder if expansion of a broken system makes sense. Wouldn't it be better to fix existing problems before making even more passengers traveling on international flights angry?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
It is mostly many regrettable international flights on UA over the past couple of years that has pushed me to DL.

Given the extensive delays and cancellations on UA international flights on another thread here, I wonder if expansion of a broken system makes sense. Wouldn't it be better to fix existing problems before making even more passengers traveling on international flights angry?
I'm not sure that the two need to be mutually exclusive. Also, buying the planes and not using them doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Great news. Tel Aviv for Pride will be great to do n/s. Curious to see the breakup of the NZ monopoly.
On the surface, yes, but given that they're likely to apply for JV eventually and wanting to avoid upsetting each other, they may continue engaging on duopoly pricing on this route.

I would expect marginal fare relief at best.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
This is awesome news. I expect to fly both routes in paid C within the next couple of years. And my wife and I will probably fly the AKL one in Y as well.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Miserable economy experience.

Pity these will both be operated with 787 with 9 across in the back. These are far too long flights to be crammed so tight. I won't be booking these flights unless I can secure business class at booking. I would rather do a premium economy 1 stop on a foreign carrier, even if its a couple thousand dollars more. I wish UA would consider a premium economy sub-cabin.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sydneyair
On the surface, yes, but given that they're likely to apply for JV eventually and wanting to avoid upsetting each other, they may continue engaging on duopoly pricing on this route.

I would expect marginal fare relief at best.
If so would that mean NZ shows up on UA.com like NH/LH where you can get PQD...and the 150% for J? ^
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:16 am

The addition of these flights (on top of the major switch from 777/747 to 787 at SFO) is another reason why the last 9 2015 FA classes are going to sCO instead of sUA. So I think a transfer to SFI is in the works buh bye NTA and screwed up Newark.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Boing!
Did you mean Boeing?

I flew an Airbus into TLV and it really wasn't that bad.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The addition of these flights (on top of the major switch from 777/747 to 787 at SFO) is another reason why the last 9 2015 FA classes are going to sCO instead of sUA. So I think a transfer to SFI is in the works buh bye NTA and screwed up Newark.
How many 787-9s does SFO need starting spring 2016, with HND, ICN, SYD, TPE and new routes using this aircraft?

In addition to LAX and SFO, any other markets will see international service using 787-9?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:47 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Is the new SFO/AKL on UA metal?

UA's press release has this quote on the SFO/AKL service:

"The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand." But from the flight numbers and other info, it seems that UA is the operating carrier [i.e., UA metal and crews]. Correct?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K

"The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand." But from the flight numbers and other info, it seems that UA is the operating carrier [i.e., UA metal and crews]. Correct?
yes
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K

With flight number 916 and 917, United is the operating carrier.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by JHake10
I grew up in NYC and now live in the bay area, and don't really see this flight working out based on the demographics. But, hey, you never know.
As noted below, this likely will see business travel

I know there a few startups such as Waze which is based in Israel. I guess I didn't think that market was that large outside a handful of companies.
Tons of startups are based in Israel, specifically Tel Aviv (though Jerusalem is having a growing hi-tech scene) and there is certainly major tech happening there. It's one of the basis for the informal term "startup nation."

One of Google's largest offices outside the US is in Tel Aviv

Originally Posted by channa
New route with no head-to-head competition. This is right up UA's alley.

Not a lot of logical connections on the SFO side, but with the 787 it may have enough with mostly O/D. With the tech on both ends, this one may work out. This is one of the first major international route announcements from UA that I didn't roll my eyes at.
I really believe we will see lots of O&D biz travel, and I imagine getting C will be quite difficult.

I will likely see myself on this flight multiple times, and am thrilled to not need to connect in EWR for it (on UA) or LAX (LY/AA) or Europe. Though seeing as the 787 is 3-3-3, I'm certainly hoping my employer will be springing for C for me

Originally Posted by Kacee
I really doubt you are going to see TLV-SFO-PEK or TLV-SFO-HKG when the eastbound routing is literally less than half the flight time.
Almost certainly not. People in TLV looking to get to PEK will fly direct on LY or HU, and if they have the need to specifically fly *A, they'll fly TK via IST
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended

I know there a few startups such as Waze which is based in Israel. I guess I didn't think that market was that large outside a handful of companies.
Even ignoring the small ones, I believe AAPL FB GOOG all have a major presence in TLV. Those 3 employers have lots of employees and flushed with cash, easily supporting such a flight. This isn't about tiny startups like Waze. I think MSFT may have too but not too sure.

Now that Aer Lingus is being bought by IAG and may likely no longer partner with UA, and UA eager to satisfy the demands of their tech clients, it wouldn't surprise me if UA launches SFO-DUB next.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.