Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

flag stop - san-iad red eye makes "flag stop" in CLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flag stop - san-iad red eye makes "flag stop" in CLE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG this thread has gotten ridiculous, especially with the armchair lawyers coming out.

It is really this simple: The IAD customers were one hour late getting to their destination. They should get whatever compensation UA usually gives for a flight that is one hour late. (I believe that is nothing.)

If you cannot cope with a one hour delay in your travels, something is wrong with you.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Sorry, but that just isn't believable.

Preparing the cabin for arrival, lights coming on, all seat backs fully upright, 65 people needing to get off the plane (are they crawling over the IAD passengers sleeping in aisle seats?), overheads slamming....absent an overdose of Ambien, no one is sleeping through that.
I have slept through landings on a few occasions. After the plane is empty, the FA comes and taps on your shoulder to wake you up. On at least one flight, I wasn't the only one. And no, I hadn't taken any drugs.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cbn42
I have slept through landings on a few occasions. After the plane is empty, the FA comes and taps on your shoulder to wake you up. On at least one flight, I wasn't the only one. And no, I hadn't taken any drugs.
Well, that is impressive. I wish I could sleep like that.

I assume you were in a window seat...or no one else in the row?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I wonder if this discussion would be so favorable towards UA and this action if a bus full of passengers showed up late to the airport after a night and day of partying and then demanded that UA redirect an existing flight so they could get home - and then UA does it and OP posts.

Because honestly - there is no difference between these two situations other than it was UA's fault in the first instance and the pax fault in the second, and UA would have to pay for accommodation / OAL tickets in the first, and pax would in the second...

I'm sorry if you all think I'm being too tough but I've explained my position - a red-eye is a fundamentally different flight than a day time flight - people pay more because they have to sleep, and at least to me I honestly believe UA did this to save themselves money, because I don't for a second think that UA would EVER do situation 2 above - which all you supporters of this action would supposedly support because it's the right thing to do...

I don't percieve UA did the "right" thing, I think they took a different path to solve a problem.

I also don't see the similarity in your story and the OP post, but I'm not here to argue. I respect your perspective.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Imstevek
I don't percieve UA did the "right" thing, I think they took a different path to solve a problem.

I also don't see the similarity in your story and the OP post, but I'm not here to argue. I respect your perspective.
I respect yours as well - I just think that the different path you reference was totally self serving - and doubt it would have been done if weather had caused the original delay.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cbn42
The flight attendants have to wake all passengers up at CLE to ensure that CLE-bound passengers don't continue on to IAD.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
OP here. I wrote United a note and they sent me a $250 travel credit for my troubles.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA1K
A more flyer-friendly option would have been putting the 65 people on the SAN->IAD flight, then adding a tag onto CLE at the end of the TCON red-eye. United would have had 6 hours to arrange the schedules of plane/crew. Of course that would have cost them more $....
that plane would have been scheduled to go somewhere else. so no, that just is not an option.

considering how difficult scheduling is...this is/was the best option. and since the OP got a $250 travel cert...i think that's pretty decent comp for this.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by skylane
OP here. I wrote United a note and they sent me a $250 travel credit for my troubles.
thanks for reporting back. ^

If you told UA you paid $300 more for the direct, then $250 is insulting. If you did not tell them this, then I think they were fair to you.

Now the other approx 70 folks, that is a different matter.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Well, that is impressive. I wish I could sleep like that.

I assume you were in a window seat...or no one else in the row?
Yes, I am almost always in a window seat if traveling alone. For red-eye flights, I try to wake up early that morning, so that I am tired by the time I get on the plane.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Honestly, my only issue here is that UA didn't proactively offer some sort of compensation to the IAD bound pax.
This. Should have been a no-brainer to offer the IAD bound customers proactive compensation.

Originally Posted by exerda
While I agree that UA was "creative" and probably did the best they could be expected to in getting everyone to their destinations with minimal disruption, the issue I still have is that UA has charged a significant premium for most nonstops. Had I specifically paid for a nonstop on this route, yes, I'd be annoyed, particularly with UA not proactively offering anything to make up for the inconvenience.
+1

Originally Posted by fly18725
The OP last posted on 10/6, one day after departure. Tough to be proactive in the middle of the night...

I'm not sure why there's a need to attack United for not providing compensation without knowing what actually happened.
Earlier this year, I was on a late night AA flight that experienced a 4 hour delay departing MIA for BSB. Less than 24 hours after landing, I got an e-mail from AA apologizing for the delay, and notifying me that miles had been deposited in my account as compensation.

Originally Posted by skylane
And on AA, you wouldn't have had to write to get compensation. AA practices what UA used to practice, which is proactive customer care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.