Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airtime: Join a conversation about United’s future. (redirects to United Hub)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As we mentioned yesterday evening, we are launching a new way for you to share your thoughts about United’s future—United Airtime. It’s our way to connect directly with customers and employees to answer their questions and get their feedback about how we can become the world’s best airline. The feedback we receive will be central to help us progress toward that goal. It is designed to be an ongoing conversation, and we will strive not only to honestly answer your questions and concerns, but also to implement your input. We will also be publishing stories about United employees, customers and company innovations to keep you informed about the strides we are making. So check out the site, weigh in with your feedback, and stay tuned for more details and updates both here and on our other social channels.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

United Airtime: Join a conversation about United’s future. (redirects to United Hub)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bldr1k
... Unfortunately I don't get to choose a seat or board with group 1 since they will wait until the very end...
As a 1K, you get to board with BG1.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bldr1k
There computer analytics software they use that decided whether to do upgrades in advance needs serious help.
It does seem to be very good at optimizing elite dissatisfaction
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Artpen100
2. The current UA upgrade policy does not match up with how international business travelers buy tickets. At least for international, the current system seems to rarely allow them on miles and copay or GPUs, and then UA has lots of unsold BF/GF seats at T-24 that are sold for $1K or so. International business travelers want to know what they are getting when they book. UA should consider allowing upgrades at any time for miles and cash or GPUs earlier, or at least on full fare economy international tickets. The current system of making me choose between paying retail (e.g., $7K) for a business class ticket or paying $2K and playing waitlist roulette has me often paying full fare economy to get upgrades on other airlines or more discounted business on other airlines with connections.
So true! - I have a flight this week that I booked in April, and slowly watched the J/business class seats disappear. My only hope is the TOD and pay for the upgrade, but this is less expensive if you have lower status. :-( Not a way to keep customers. Am thinking of approaching BA next year as I fly SAN to LHR at least four times a year and there is a non-stop flight, and with 1MM will have * gold for flights within the EU with LH.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2015 at 10:12 pm Reason: Please include quote attribution
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
How about a back to the future change in MP

Year on year for the last several my million miler Gold status has been trashed. Mileage bonus halved, then revenue based mileage with a multiple that makes a joke out of being an elite, close in booking windows, In short Platinum became the new Gold and Gold was worth not much more than silver. And then they started with the baggage allowances which appear to be a rarely used but much appreciated perk of status. If Mr Munoz and the team at Mileage Minus want to regain my loyalty and appreciation for United then turning back the clock on some of the most pernickity changes over recent years would be a very very good place to start. That is, if he is really listening.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:16 am

Stop the boarding line rollaboard size checks, especially for group one! Recently observed a FC pax have her bag size questioned as she was entering the jetway. Bag was a little fat, but clearly would fit in any mainline overhead. Just another process that brings no value to the customer experience. My experience is that most folks in groups one and two are knowledgeable about what will fit.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by don731
Stop the boarding line rollaboard size checks, especially for group one! Recently observed a FC pax have her bag size questioned as she was entering the jetway. Bag was a little fat, but clearly would fit in any mainline overhead. Just another process that brings no value to the customer experience. My experience is that most folks in groups one and two are knowledgeable about what will fit.
I will do one better here. Stop most of the issues with bags by simply checking one baggage for free, for anyone, WN-style.

Simple and effective. This is why you never see in Asia (where the full flights are very common) the chaos you often see US-side. You have security rejecting large bags, and you will find a lot of people will choose, willingly, to check in a bag.

As for the day travelers, they will be able to bring their wares in cabin much more easily, even in BG5.

(BTW, how about going back to pmUA standards, red carpet for 1K, GS and first, then courtesy invite for plats, gold and silver, then everyone by row? Don't you feel their boarding zones are like cattle lines now?)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:44 am

The Airtime site seems pretty static of late-no new "questions/answers" or "ideas" posted in quite awhile. Has it run its course?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
The Airtime site seems pretty static of late-no new "questions/answers" or "ideas" posted in quite awhile. Has it run its course?
I just got an email reminder about the site, so I would hope not
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
One of the suggestions is "Be Honest With Your Passengers." UA sifts through all the good comments and posts something that is just a PR black eye?

If I were an airline, I wouldn't some of these suggestions on a public website. Could you ever see DL or AA doing something like this?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
One of the suggestions is "Be Honest With Your Passengers." UA sifts through all the good comments and posts something that is just a PR black eye?

If I were an airline, I wouldn't some of these suggestions on a public website. Could you ever see DL or AA doing something like this?
I can see any company that is in deep PR trouble doing this -- to ward off charges that it's all window dressing. It's the "Domino's: our pizza was indeed terrible so we changed it" disarming-honesty gambit. Volkswagen ought to be looking into it right about now.

DL and AA are not in the same deep deep hole UA is.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I can see any company that is in deep PR trouble doing this -- to ward off charges that it's all window dressing. It's the "Domino's: our pizza was indeed terrible so we changed it" disarming-honesty gambit. Volkswagen ought to be looking into it right about now.

DL and AA are not in the same deep deep hole UA is.
Dominoes was always not that great, but the public's tastes changed/improved, the market got more competitive and they acted (I guess at some risk of turning off the folks that loved their original taste).

In UA's case, they took what was WORKING (leaving aside the pmUA vs pmCO discussions... pmUA worked just dandy for me) and messed it up. I view the coffee changes and anything else as Munoz essentially saying "we screwed up, and we know we screwed up." And they at least have my interest now.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by abaheti
Dominoes was always not that great, but the public's tastes changed/improved, the market got more competitive and they acted (I guess at some risk of turning off the folks that loved their original taste).

In UA's case, they took what was WORKING (leaving aside the pmUA vs pmCO discussions... pmUA worked just dandy for me) and messed it up. I view the coffee changes and anything else as Munoz essentially saying "we screwed up, and we know we screwed up." And they at least have my interest now.

Still a valid analogy, though. You're right that the main difference being that UA's problems were self-inflicted, while Domino's was a result of changing markets/changing tastes.

Either way, both companies were left selling a product that the public viewed as inferior, and often a product of last resort. Many people didn't want to buy a Domino's pizza, they were just the only one around, the only ones open, or they were the cheapest and couldn't afford better. Similarly, many people don't want to buy tickets on United, but they do if they have the only flight or the best schedule, or the lowest price so their employer's computer makes them.

United's strategy banked on the fact that there would be no viable or better options. They wanted to be the gas station near the airport that sells gas for $4/gallon, or remote island convenience store that sells milk for $8.

We've all shopped at places like that from time to time and hated it, but did so because we're in a bind. The problem with that model is that you need a constant flow of suckas (people who know will find a way around it), and there have to be few other choices. When that's your business model, you have to be extremely savvy about the competitive landscape, because all it takes is another gas station or convenience store opening up across the street, and your business model is done. It also creates a customer base that hates your business, because your business is perceived as taking advantage of the customer. This is why people are more vocal and critical about issues on UA vs. other carriers (e.g., United customers wants someone crucified for the coffee, American's customers shrug off the same coffee).

That's where UA failed. They didn't regroup and adjust their strategy when other carriers didn't follow (and some even upped their game). A worthwhile experiment, IMO, but one they could have recovered from much, much more quickly.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
I don't understand why they would send an email blast promoting the site today when they can't even update it.. Let's get some talk going United..
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
United's strategy banked on the fact that there would be no viable or better options. They wanted to be the gas station near the airport that sells gas for $4/gallon, or remote island convenience store that sells milk for $8.

We've all shopped at places like that from time to time and hated it, but did so because we're in a bind. The problem with that model is that you need a constant flow of suckas (people who know will find a way around it), and there have to be few other choices. When that's your business model, you have to be extremely savvy about the competitive landscape, because all it takes is another gas station or convenience store opening up across the street, and your business model is done. It also creates a customer base that hates your business, because your business is perceived as taking advantage of the customer. This is why people are more vocal and critical about issues on UA vs. other carriers (e.g., United customers wants someone crucified for the coffee, American's customers shrug off the same coffee).

That's where UA failed. They didn't regroup and adjust their strategy when other carriers didn't follow (and some even upped their game). A worthwhile experiment, IMO, but one they could have recovered from much, much more quickly.
For the first 9 months of this year, I have 49.9K BIS miles on UA, and 39.5K BIS on AA, precisely because of UA's arrogance noted above.

Fly on UA and experience IRROPS post merger, you have to ask for compensation.

Fly on AA during a merger and experience IRROPS, they apologize and deposit miles in your account within 24 hours.

I hope Oscar turns the ship around, but he's got a huge task ahead of him.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shmoozy1
Year on year for the last several my million miler Gold status has been trashed. Mileage bonus halved, then revenue based mileage with a multiple that makes a joke out of being an elite, close in booking windows, In short Platinum became the new Gold and Gold was worth not much more than silver. And then they started with the baggage allowances which appear to be a rarely used but much appreciated perk of status. If Mr Munoz and the team at Mileage Minus want to regain my loyalty and appreciation for United then turning back the clock on some of the most pernickity changes over recent years would be a very very good place to start. That is, if he is really listening.
^^^^

I hope every United customer receives the service and attention that a loyal customer should and could receive.

I am happy to see that United now seems to be starting to reach out to GS and 1K frequent flyers.

I just wish that as a lowly PMUA Million Miler - who has basically remained loyal - and my whole cohort - which has possibly seen the most downgraded Mileage Plus status over the past few years - will be thrown some bone of reward in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.