Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Odd (not offensive) Statement Made by a Flight Attendant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd (not offensive) Statement Made by a Flight Attendant

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by bullfrog
Why would anyone want to take a bottle of anything served on United home with them?
Christmas gift for the mother-in-law?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
If I send in a complaint regarding an employee (rarely) I hear nothing. I recently complimented a GREAT agent and I received an immediate call from UA thanking me. I guess the compliments are few and also enjoyable for the PR people to respond to where the complaints are many.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by copperred
People who dismiss this as paranoid have probably had cush jobs their entire lives, or no jobs at all. I've worked in a few places where drawing attention to yourself can be hazardous to your health.
Such as? Examples?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Originally Posted by copperred
People who dismiss this as paranoid have probably had cush jobs their entire lives, or no jobs at all. I've worked in a few places where drawing attention to yourself can be hazardous to your health.
Such as? Examples?
This Flight attendant probably didn't appreciate any compliments sent to corporate.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:30 pm

"employees who have done something clearly prohibited, e.g., a bottle of wine to take with them and the like. That is, of course, hurtful."

The company does allow us to provide a passenger with a small token of appreciation (ie a bottle of wine) for things like milestones, or simply as a thank you for flying our airline.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:39 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by ROAJF
"employees who have done something clearly prohibited, e.g., a bottle of wine to take with them and the like. That is, of course, hurtful."

The company does allow us to provide a passenger with a small token of appreciation (ie a bottle of wine) for things like milestones, or simply as a thank you for flying our airline.
Welcome to FT!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, HA Gold
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentTraveler
Recently my husband (1K) and I (silver) flew from IAD to IAH. We used a regional upgrade to fly business. The flight attendant asked me for my food choice before taking off but she did not ask my husband, I thought that was really odd and could not figure out why. Later in the flight she came and asked my husband, at that point he could not get his first choice for dinner. That was when I realized I was sitting on his seat and he was sitting on mine!
The manifest should have listed the two of you as a couple so the seat switch should not have mattered. I suspect th FA wasn't paying much attention when asking If they do they are professional they call you by your last name.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Christmas gift for the mother-in-law?
Funny you say that:

My Wife's parents live in Germany and she had flown over a few days before me to visit with them while I finished up my last three shifts at the hospital and then I flew over to visit with them and celebrate their wedding anniversary.

My Wife had forgotten to pack the gift we purchased for them so I said I would pack it and bring it with me, except I had three hellish shifts at the hospital and completely blanked on the gift.

So, I explained my dilemma to the Lufthansa Flight Attendant and she gave me a selection of Wine Bottles to give my in-laws as a consolation prize before my Wife and I could find a replacement gift. In the end my in-laws were really great sports about it and completely understood what had happened and we FEDEXed them their original once we got home, but the Wine did serves as an interim gift and the family got to enjoy some good wine over the following nights.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Gold/AA
Originally Posted by halls120
Doesn't surprise me in the least. I have encountered several employees who have asked that I not recognize them.
I had a great flight attendant ORD>DSM on an ERJ. He was fun, made eye contact, and very pleasant. Once in DSM I waited until the airplane emptied. I walked up and told him I'd like to recognize him in a post-flight survey. He thanked me and politely asked that I don't recognize him. He said my thanks was enough. I felt sad for him and United as I exited the airplane.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
The mentality towards the cards was that they could be gamed or used inappropriately as rewards for staff bending or breaking rules.

Unless that mentality has changed, the cards are not coming back.
That is a myopic shame. I am sure there is some snake-oil elite who would think that a hand full of appreciation chits will get them something but I have to imagine the perception of the problem is significantly inflated. Also, the kind of person who would try to game the system or use these inappropriately will simply switch from a customer appreciation chit to a $20 bill. They haven't solved a problem, they have merely cut off a form of rewarding great service.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:51 am

> Maybe it is paranoia or maybe the guy just truly enjoys staying under the radar and
> just wants to go to work and go home as anonymous as possible. No matter what
> the reason, it struck my Wife and I as a little odd and I was curious

Everyone is wired a bit differently. Thank gawd! What you or an organization considers a reward, may be something that is genuinely valueless (or possibly a burden or increase risk) to the recipient. Respecting their request is the right thing to do. Consider an alternative ...

My suggestion? In such situations, I carry hardcopy of "A Message to Garcia". I print it on very nice stationary stock and it's crisply folded in a fancier envelope, along with my business card.

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Oct 1, 2015 at 9:13 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by kmersh
Funny you say that:

My Wife's parents live in Germany and she had flown over a few days before me to visit with them while I finished up my last three shifts at the hospital and then I flew over to visit with them and celebrate their wedding anniversary.

My Wife had forgotten to pack the gift we purchased for them so I said I would pack it and bring it with me, except I had three hellish shifts at the hospital and completely blanked on the gift.

So, I explained my dilemma to the Lufthansa Flight Attendant and she gave me a selection of Wine Bottles to give my in-laws as a consolation prize before my Wife and I could find a replacement gift. In the end my in-laws were really great sports about it and completely understood what had happened and we FEDEXed them their original once we got home, but the Wine did serves as an interim gift and the family got to enjoy some good wine over the following nights.
BA gave me a bottle of champagne for dealing with a silly chap who decided to fly LAX-LHR while in the midst of an attack of renal colic.

(Sorry, guy, no place to land over the North Pole even if we wanted to.)

Pretty nice bubbly, actually.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: BA - Gold, AF - Platinum, LH - Silver
BA sends Executive Club Gold members a "Golden Ticket" to hand to a stellar employee for doing stellar work. I've handed out a few over the years & they've always been gratefully received

Last edited by richk; Oct 7, 2015 at 6:28 am Reason: adding picture
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I didn't like getting (in essence) "Employee of the Month" at my old job a few years ago.
I was just doing my job, I didn't want to go up in front of everyone and have them clap for me.
Even more embarrassing was when I got something similar but skipped the all-hands meeting (like I always do). My coworkers had to tell me I got it :P

At least mine came with a $2000 vacation bonus (had to give receipts from personal travel, and they even reimbursed up to $3000 to cover taxes, which was a huge ^)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Red face

This employee would make for the true insider which we've needed here forever. Don't take this as citing any particular user as I don't.

It's probably due to the political messiness that means reprisals for those employees who get any management attention, good or bad, thus they just want to make others happy & collect paycheck & avoid the politics & management jealousies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.