Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New HVF 'Surprise and delight' upgrade program / GFL access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

New HVF 'Surprise and delight' upgrade program / GFL access

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes . . . good for those waitlisted on GPUs, bad for non-revs.
Especially in those instances where a GPU does not clear from Y->J, but a non-rev can clear directly into F. The elite is left sitting in Y, while the employee's mother-in-law gets to ride in 1A. (Disclaimer: I'm all for the employee's mother-in-law riding in 1A, but only once all instrument upgrades have been cleared into a higher class of service.)

I would be surprised and delighted if the GPU which has been languishing for months on my LHR-LAX flight in 2 weeks would clear.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The way I'm reading into it is the advance upgrades are for domestic CPU flights...
That's the way I read it too. I just think that the early CPUs will reduce R availability in the period (days or a couple of weeks, however the program works) before the official CPU windows open.

For example, I just booked domestic flights and used a GPU a week or so before the flights. That R might not have been available if the some high $ flier (who isn't me) gets an early upgrade. I can see this being bad for domestic RPUs/GPUs.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by SS255
I would be surprised and delighted if the GPU which has been languishing for months on my LHR-LAX flight in 2 weeks would clear.
I would be both surprised and delighted if any of my 10 GPUs expiring in Feb would clear.

Edit: only 6 of 10 are expiring.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:30 pm

They could surprise and delight me on just helping my RPUs clear on an ORD-MCO route on a Tuesday when nearly a month in advance has F=9 and I purchase a M fare yet still end up #4 on the list and missing the upgrade.....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
New HVF 'Surprise and delight' upgrade program

Delight shouldn't be a surprise.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
United spends far too much time on little backdoor less than transparent deals. Ones that no one can account for, and United can use to hide behind along the way
I wonder if they learned from Hyatt's experience in publicizing "random" gestures. I would rather UA simply grant their higher elites more CS and a moderate level of waivers to rules when needed. I can also see expectations heightened when these kinds of initiatives are published.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I wonder if they learned from Hyatt's experience in publicizing "random" gestures. I would rather UA simply grant their higher elites more CS and a moderate level of waivers to rules when needed. I can also see expectations heightened when these kinds of initiatives are published.
They must have hired the same consultants as Hyatt. As I noted up thread, this didn't work out too well when Hyatt tried it. Although several bloggers were "delighted."
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sounds like "Friends & Family" more than "Surprise & Delght."

Unaccountable upgrades. Great.

Programs: UA GS
I thought they already had a "Surprise and delight" program - they're called op-ups.

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by aacharya
Probably they all just took the same marketing class at Kellogg telling them surprises are valued higher than fulfillment of expected benefits...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: 1K
As far as I am concerned, this is completely unsubstantiated. Anyone find a reliable source?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hookthem
As far as I am concerned, this is completely unsubstantiated. Anyone find a reliable source?
Not sure about the reliable source aspect, but in addition to the tweets the author has more details here:

http://www.briansumers.com/home/unit...-free-upgrades
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM
Originally Posted by hookthem
Presumably the blogger has access to the official UA communication, so I'm guessing that it is reliable. If so, I can only agree with Doc Savage...

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Sounds like "Friends & Family" more than "Surprise & Delght."

Unaccountable upgrades. Great.
Seems that this is a further devaluation of elite benefits, as I'm guessing that these HVF's will be upgraded ahead of elites using RPU's and GPU's.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This hasn't started yet or I'm not an HVF. Have a SEA-SFO flight early next week that had 12 out of 20 seats open up front (F9...R9) and no CPU's processed at D4 for 1K. Finally got it today. So on a pretty wide open front cabin (and totally open economy cabin), I got upgraded a day "late". Only one proof point.

I suspect the HVF is really GS and anyone else is peanuts.

-RM
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:01 pm

This sounds basically same as the old program that used to let 1K members upgrade from Y to F on a full Y or B fare assuming that's what they mean by "high" value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.