Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do all GS's travel so lightly?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Do all GS's travel so lightly?

I've been flying UA a good amount recently because I've had to spend more time in Chicago and Houston, and something that I've noticed is that pretty much every GS I've seen travels very lightly. Usually just a small duffel bag and a laptop bag. Over the past 3 months of flying UA often and many flights between LGA, ORD, and IAH, I can probably count on my fingers the number of GS's that actually have a rollaboard carry on. It's almost always either the duffel/laptop bag (which I've seen the most often) or the rolling laptop bag!

Just something interesting I noticed and was curious if others have noticed this as well.

Especially coming over from DL where it seems everyone has an oversized rollaboard and large personal item (which I am guilty of myself as well!)

Now of course it's possible that they are on day trips or check luggage, but I've just seen so many occurrences of this that it has sparked my interest! Especially since 1K's and below seem to be like me with a rollaboard!

Last edited by Emirates202; Sep 25, 2015 at 10:24 am
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Could be a few reasons

Maybe connecting to longhaul flights with checked bag. Likely lots of day trips. In my case, it tends to be a lot of day trips or single overnights so just bring small weekender type duffel bag.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Some of them only travel with pillows.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I question the statistical validity of your data, but more important I question why you think such a pax is traveling light.

I am of the same nature. Not a duffel, but a backpack of decent size. I can carry more with me if need be than via a rollar, and certainly more "bin friendly". And have no issue with the carry-on police.

There is a significant penalty paid for the inconvenience of lugging around that wheeled thing.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I prefer to travel with a backpack with my laptop, a change of clothes or two, swimsuit, goggles and toiletries. I don't like waiting for carryon bags to be unloaded and I certainly don't want to check bags.

I don't need much for the typical 2 day trip, and I think your typical GS is doing a lot of in-out travel.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
My CEO just completed a 3 week, 6 countries, round the world trip with 2 suits, gym clothes and a laptop bag. Overnight dry cleaning is available just about everywhere.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It's not restricted to GS.

Anyone who does a lot of travel eventually learns to whittle down to the barest necessities.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I question the statistical validity of your data, but more important I question why you think such a pax is traveling light.

There is a significant penalty paid for the inconvenience of lugging around that wheeled thing.
I also made the same observation (less GS and others) when standing in Group 1 - this is mainly at PHL, which has a pretty decent number of GS on the flights I am on. I also used this data to bolster my argument that it is BG3 and up that really abuse the bin. Others denoted it was the Group 1 flyers.

This is a vote to BG3 instead. I also echo the OP's notes that F folks, though some do carry-on, do so a lot less - and because they are separate from Y, don't really cause bin problems.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't know what they may have checked.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's not restricted to GS.

Anyone who does a lot of travel eventually learns to whittle down to the barest necessities.
I just take a backpack and a TravelPro rolling tote on all my trips now...very liberating. Got mt girlfriend hooked on the minimalist scenario too. Unfortunately, her 25-year-old daughter still brings a virtual steamer trunk on weekend getaways
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Now that you mention it, I have noticed this. I agree with the statement that the more frequent your travel schedule, the more efficient you become.

I would venture to guess that many of these folks are doing short trips on short notice. Based on the assumed criteria of earning GS which is high revenue. If your fares are high, you are likely buying those closer to the departure or want a lot of flexibility with changes.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has no idea whether his sample has multiple checked bags.

That said, most people who travel a lot ultimately figure out that less is more. It ought to be easy to do a 7-10 day trip without a steamer trunk.

Many places around the world also have dry cleaning !
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Often1
OP has no idea whether his sample has multiple checked bags.
That is true, but a few times arriving at LGA and the GS was in front of me, we would both be heading towards the pick up area and all the ones I've seen haven't stopped at the baggage claim, they just go straight out. Now obviously this doesn't prove anything because it was only a few times, and other times in other airports they couldve checked bags.

I think day trips are the reason. And i understand that you learn to pack less as you travel more frequently.

Unfortunately I still think I'm an overpacker! Even after all these years I always pack way more then I need even for an overnight trip, I guess its my OCD telling me its better to be safe then sorry. I really do need to learn to be a lighter packer though!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Not a GS but as a 1K flying ~140-50k I always have a checked bag this year except for 1) 4 days in Dominican Republic 2) 3 days in SEA 3) 5 days in LA.
Mostly because my carry on is comprised of my camera(s)/gear which does not leave my person.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Emirates202
That is true, but a few times arriving at LGA and the GS was in front of me, we would both be heading towards the pick up area and all the ones I've seen haven't stopped at the baggage claim, they just go straight out.
New York is one place where I pack especially light - usually just a single backpack for a 2-3 day trip.

Last thing I want to do is drag even a small rollerboard around on the streets of Manhattan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.