Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award searches different every time...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Award searches different every time...

so every time i search an award flight different things come up it seems.

Sometimes it shows direct flight options, sometimes not...now its not acknowledging a flight at all i wanted.

I am looking NYC-> MBJ May 11-15

There was a 2am flight on Copa that had business saver miles available-- but now i can't get it to show up..at all. not economy... not business.

The "rate calendar" says there should be saver business inventory (light blue) but it doesn't show anywhere.

any thoughts?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
It is showing up as white, I dont see any blue. All the award flights are for the next day and they are all standard awards. Mind you, I am searching from EWR-MBJ (Montego bay, Jamaica)
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
1. Ignore the color coding - never works.
2. Award availability is dynamic - especially on partners.
3. Are you a Premier - and are you really logged in every time? (doesn't impact partner searches, but the overall award availability could differ).

I would suggest searching segment by segment and then call in UA if you see Copa on its own, but not combined with UA. That's often an issue with awards. (For example, I always have to book EWR-BOS separately from BOS-IST-KTM, since EWR-KTM doesn't show this option).
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:20 am

Mind, if I ask a question? Since the upgrade(?) to the new site, I don't see a box where we used to(?) be able to click "Star Alliance partner flights" (something of that line) when searching for the award seat. Is this option automatically included in the newer site?

I just happened to be very used to the older search than the newer design. And, all I see when I search now (could be just a coincidence) only shows UA flights, not ANA nor AirCanada flights (searching between North America and Asia).
Should I use ANA tool? (I know ANA tool became somewhat not so useful after the Amadeus system kicked in).

Any comments deeply appreciated.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fli...&taxng=1&idx=1

Showed up straight away when I ran a search.

There have been a few examples of "filters" creeping in to the search results which people did not manually set.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

so the issue seems to be when you type NYC into the search engine it comes up with LGA and EWR as options...but ignores JFK. When i manually searched JFK_>MBJ it came up

yay bugs.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fli...&taxng=1&idx=1

There have been a few examples of "filters" creeping in to the search results which people did not manually set.
Or OP used "NYC" instead of "JFK", and the numerous EWR/LGA options overwhelmed the search.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Or OP used "NYC" instead of "JFK", and the numerous EWR/LGA options overwhelmed the search.
nope.
no JFK option to even narrow it down or filter by. So it wasn't even buried pages deep. the search just ignored JFK which is actually the only viable option that doesn't involve 20ish hours of travel
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
nope.
no JFK option to even narrow it down or filter by. So it wasn't even buried pages deep. the search just ignored JFK which is actually the only viable option that doesn't involve 20ish hours of travel
What do you mean? Did you use NYC or JFK when you did your search?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:24 am

I am experiencing the same problem. I do not like the new interface at all. I saw an international flight in business and then it was gone when I searched again within an hour.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jp12687
nope.
That link I included above is still showing the seat as available. Are you not seeing that when you click on it??
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
That link I included above is still showing the seat as available. Are you not seeing that when you click on it??
The weird thing about that search that you link to is that the first page shows that economy says:
2:10 a.m.
11:24 a.m.
1 stop
10h 14m

Operated by Copa Airlines
37.5k miles
+$50.85

and Business

30k miles
+$50.85

Intimating that Economy Saver is sold out, and Business Saver is the cheaper option. But it isn't! When you click further through, you see tons of Economy Saver options.
Am I misunderstanding that first page of results?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by anneok
I am experiencing the same problem. I do not like the new interface at all. I saw an international flight in business and then it was gone when I searched again within an hour.
I have experienced the same. It can be a "snooze you loose" frustration. If one sees an award flight to their liking, I suggest they grab it asap.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I am finding this new interface quite challenging. None of the Air China flights that used to show are now showing.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA-Gold 1MM
Saver Intl Awards available on App but not website

I can't change an award ticket FCO/CLE b/c a saver award in first does not show up on the website....only on my app. (Specifically, it's 4Mar, routed through BRU, UA metal).

Suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.