Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Promotion - bonus RDM, PQM, or RPU for p.s. segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Targeted offer with multiple versions, each with 3 offers --
version I
1) 5k RDM per J segment, 2k RDM per Y segment
2) 3.5k PQM per J segment, 1.5k PQM per segment
4) 1 RPU per 2 J segments flown, 1 RPU per 4 Y segments flown
Version II - link
1) 10k RDM per J segment, 3k RDM per Y segment
2) 5k PQM per J segment, 2k PQM per segment
3) 1 RPU per J segments flown, 1 RPU per 4 Y segments flown
Additional links
www.united.com/flyunitedps1
www.united.com/flyunitedps2
www.united.com/flyunitedps3
T&Cs
  1. Only original recipients of email invitation to the offer can register and participate in this promotion.
  2. Registration is required by February 15, 2016, and before ticketing.
  3. To qualify for this offer, eligible members must register, purchase and complete paid, qualifying segments between New York/Newark and Los Angeles or San Francisco within the qualifying ticketing and travel periods.
  4. Ticketing dates: September 17, 2015, through February 29, 2016.
  5. Offer is valid for travel beginning on or after October 25, 2015, and completed on or before February 29, 2016.
  6. Offer is valid on segments flown in F,A,J,C,D,Z,P,Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q and V fare classes.
  7. The offer is valid on paid qualifying segments flown on United® or United Express® and it is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
  8. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing.
  9. Participating members must choose one of the three offers during registration, and the selection will be applicable to all qualifying activity under this promotion and may not be changed.
  10. Bonus may be earned for a maximum of (A) 100,000 bonus award miles if you choose the bonus award miles offer, OR (B) ten RPU if you choose the RPU offer, OR (C) if you choose the PQM offer, 35,000 PQM between registration and December 31, 2015, and an additional 35,000 PQM between January 1, 2016, and February 29, 2016, each in accordance with these terms and conditions.
  11. PQM cannot be redeemed for award travel or other awards.
  12. Bonus Premier qualifying segments (PQS) and bonus Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) will not be awarded as part of this promotion.
  13. The offer is not valid on government fares.
  14. Flights on award travel tickets and other tickets that do not earn Premier qualifying credits do not qualify for meeting the requirements of this offer.
  15. Passenger must be a member of the United MileagePlus® program for travel to qualify for this offer.
  16. Qualifying flight activities must be credited to the MileagePlus account by February 29, 2016, in order to qualify for this offer.
  17. Bonus choice will post to your account 6-8 weeks upon completion of qualifying activity.
  18. E-Ticket® purchase required. Service charges for ticketing with a United representative in the United States, District of Columbia and Canada are $25 by phone, $30 at a City Ticket Office and $35 in person at the airport. Ticketing charges may vary outside of the U.S. and Canada and based on MileagePlus status level. The ticketing service charge does not apply for tickets purchased on united.com. Service charges are subject to change without notice.
  19. Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Regional Premier Upgrade
    Each Regional Premier Upgrade is valid for a single one-way, one-cabin upgrade and will expire on June 30, 2016. Standard Regional Premier Upgrade terms apply. These terms can be changed at any time with or without notice and can be viewed at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...gupgrades.aspx.
Print Wikipost

New Promotion - bonus RDM, PQM, or RPU for p.s. segments

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by augs
I flew the ps route out of JFK monthly for the last 3 years. The promotion might get me to stick with UA for a few more months to bank some more RPUs before jumping to a JFK based carrier.
Why would you try to fly more to get upgrade certs which you apparently have no reason/means to use once you leave?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Why would you try to fly more to get upgrade certs which you apparently have no reason/means to use once you leave?
To gift to family who are captive in the SFO market.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
would love to get this promo, but as usual ... nothing for me. Too bad, could have moved some business ... too bad.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ylord789
This promotion is for us fliers of JFK-SFO/LAX living in NYC to get us fly EWR-SFO/LAX. They assume people in SFO and LAX don't care about JFK and will be just as happy to fly to EWR.
This SFO based flyer got the promo.

Originally Posted by spin88
That is the theory anyway, but it appears to be totally random. E.g. a theory that this is targeted at NYC folks flying UA ex-JFK. ....
I have not heard the announcement from UA on the targeted group -- we can only make guesses ourselves.

It is not uncommon for airlines to have promos when they open a new route / service -- all the airlines regularly do this.

.... when you do a control, its small. ...
the size of the control group can not be too disproportional to the main group -- but the theory on control sample size is too complex for this venue. And yes it is loss business but FT is hardly a representative sample of the traveling population.

.... The theory that people in SFO/LAX will happily fly into EWR is silly, will not happen, and 6 months from now the yields will show this.
Yes time will tell and this SFO flyer actually prefers EWR but had used JFK to get PS --- now it works better me. Understand it will not work for some, but that is the risk of any change and time will tell.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ylord789
This promotion is for us fliers of JFK-SFO/LAX living in NYC to get us fly EWR-SFO/LAX. They assume people in SFO and LAX don't care about JFK and will be just as happy to fly to EWR.
I live in SF, and I got the targeted 1 RPU/ J segment offer. Interestingly, my wife (MM-matched 1k), did not.

The theory that people in SFO/LAX will happily fly into EWR is silly, will not happen, and 6 months from now the yields will show this.
I don't see EWR as a huge downtick from JFK-- would prefer JFK, but I'd happily trade the extra few minutes in a cab/car for the huge increase in flights/day with flat beds that I can choose from. Interested to see how this pans out for them. I still don't think I'd ever connect stateside en route to Europe from SFO, but in IRROPS/etc, it would make the routing a lot more palatable. Also might convince a few people to transit EWR en route to the Caribbean/South America from the west coast.

Separately, the T&C say that it's for travel booked post 9/17. Does anyone know if changing the reservation online to an earlier/later flight (and paying the $200 change fee) would result in a new ticket that qualifies? I've already got a couple RT's booked to EWR in J (P & Z fares), so I'd gladly pay $400 for 4 RPUs.

Last edited by ps9a; Sep 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ps9a
...I don't see EWR as a huge downtick from JFK-- would prefer JFK....
Those flying between West Coast and Europe with a EWR connection can now do so on a p.s. plane. I think that's a big benefit. The preference of EWR vs JFK as a origination or destination will be vary by person.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Those flying between West Coast and Europe with a EWR connection can now do so on a p.s. plane. I think that's a big benefit.
I totally agree, although I'm not sure how large or valuable the segment of flyers you reference actually is. I would personally always rather connect in Europe (en route to somewhere in Europe) than EWR. I'm guessing United doesn't have a bunch of business travelers in paid J/F flying SFO/LAX-C2 via EWR.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Is there a setting in your profile (can't seem to find one) that ops you out of promotional emails and offers. I don't seem to get any UA offers directly and am thinking I may have opted out at one point.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I totally agree, although I'm not sure how large or valuable the segment of flyers you reference actually is. I would personally always rather connect in Europe (en route to somewhere in Europe) than EWR. I'm guessing United doesn't have a bunch of business travelers in paid J/F flying SFO/LAX-C2 via EWR.
I think the consensus (and smart view) is this.

Few LAX/SFO passengers with high/premium fares are going to fly to Newark New Jersey and change planes to Europe. You break up the time you could be sleeping on the way there, EWR is a pit, and on the way home you get off the plane late at night Europe time, then have to hang around EWR before getting onto another flight. Uck.

Some guy locked into MP ( pity the fool!) might do it, or someone might take this routing because its cheaper, but its not likely to attract traffic from SFO/LAX which have direct flights to every European gateway. Those who "benefit" are the few UA loyalists ex SFO/LAX who want to go to secondary European cities, and now get on every flight (rather than the few sCO 757) a slightly better a/c. Not sure that that moves the needle competitively, and it certainly will not allow UA to get better yields.

the EWR switch was because they had lost the competitive fight at JFK.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

Understanding this promotion is to highlight the new EWR PS and perhaps to attract previous JFK flyers, lets not draw this thread into a rehash of EWR vs JFK debate --- we have a mega thread on that, many have already expressed their opinion there and the thread is still open -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html .

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:27 pm

Nothing here in Japan.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
1) 10k RDM per J segment, 3k RDM per Y segment
2) 5k PQM per J segment, 2k PQM per segment
3) 1 RPU per J segments flown, 1 RPU per 4 Y segments flown
I got this offer as a NYC based Platinum in Manhattan and have been flying ps about 10 times per year for the last several years. It is the bulk of my flying. I might do one or two other domestic trips and one international each year.

I'm already booked for the rest of 2015 but have booked nothing for 2016. I generally buy some PQMs to achieve Platinum so will take the PQM offer. I will earn the PQMs next year and then won't have to buy any.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: *A
Just another data point.... This NZ based Plat received the offer. Haven't flown the ps route in over 2 years and probably only twice in 6 years.

I did get to ride on a ps plane from LIH-SFO last year when one bird was stuck on the LIH tarmac for +48 hours and a ps plane was used to help with the backlog (and the injured bird was still on the ground when we left).
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Nothing for me, although I have flown SFO-JFK once or twice a year for the past ten years and am 1K. The only promotional emails I have received from UA simply state that they fly 17 times a day to LHR, which a) I know because that's where I'm based and b) is less often than they used to as they've cut back so much.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

+1. If I'm in SFO or LAX and I'm going to Europe in paid J/F, I'd much rather connect in FRA or LHR than EWR. And if I'm in Y hoping for an instrument upgrade for at least part of the trip, I'd prefer to connect in ORD or IAD, given all the 757s going TATL from EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.