Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by RockinRon
Let's hope Munoz is more tech savvy than Jeff was. Invest in the infrastructure to avoid issues like the June "network" issue and today's dot bomb crash. Friends who work there are frustrated with the situation, too. Here's a glimmer of hope for the future!
From Munoz's letter to employees, posted upstream:

There are new forms of loyalty programs and affinity groups, a constantly changing regulatory environment, plus new digital and networking technologies that are emerging on a daily basis. At United, we will embrace this change, and make this an energized and exciting place to work.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
With the direction United is headed, this is welcome news. If I was at an airport right now I'd high five some United Employees.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Wow. Unexpected news; am stunned, but hoping that UA will finally get its act together and things will improve. Time shall tell.

Definitely didn't see this coming today, of all days.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Now we know why Rainey took the last train to the coast.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
To the many here who used Jeff as the personification of changes they didn't like, having him leave in this manner was probably not the best result. A change at the top coming from a recognition that the brand and business had been damaged by his team's policies would have led to a succession plan premised on rebuilding customer relationships. This departure may lead to a succession plan based on status quo operations and policies. Many here will hate that airline just as much, and will end up just hating his successor.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:14 pm

Here is the full text of Oscar's letter

http://www.scribd.com/doc/279543597/...-Oscar-Munoz-1

You will like that he says you win or lose customers every day based on "the slightest change."

Whether the Street lets him follow through on that...

I'm not intimately familiar with the case (we all will be in the coming weeks) - but from the surface appears Jeff agreed to 'look into' a route requested by the Port Authority official. UA came back and said 'no, not profitable for us.'

The official then stonewalled approval of a project.

And Jeff's direct reports had a hand in getting the route ultimately approved. Then just after the official stepped down, the route got cut.

Guess it will come down to how savvy he was about being in or out of the loop on traceable media.

If the official isn't given the most harsh penalty would be surprised.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:15 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amolkold
I think it's a change we're going to like.
the first one that i'm aware of.

Well played sir
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Stock down 3% after hours.
Jeez, it should be way up.

Probably fears over what the costs of a federal bribery indictment would be....
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
The skies are truly friendly tonight! I for one am happy Jeff is out, now bring back the laid off baggage hanlers --
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
New CEO will fly the route to look for improvements?

This would obviously be welcome, but for the life of me this seems like the first thing any leader should do.

And they should add secret fliers to get a real look at the experience.

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
A change we will like... Hallelujah!

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Smisek leaveing? Here was my immediate response:

I wanted to post portions of MLK's "Free At Last" speech, but some may find that offensive.

Has anyone posted Handel's Messiah yet? Here it is:

These really are some changes I am going to like! These changes really are Flyer Friendly! (For those of you playing the "Flyer Friendly" drinking game, take 2 shots.)

Now one day, we may see Smisek traveling in coach, with the rest of us over-entitled 1Ks.

The Houston media is already speculating that this is because of the federal investigation into the PANYNJ.

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...ve-6491426.php

Honestly, I only care marginally. The bottom line is that he is gone, and to paraphrase Gerald Ford, "Our long national nightmare is over." But wouldn't it be great to see Jeff and his pals do a "perp walk" one day? I would pay good money to see that!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
This is about to be a big, big deal...
I think you're exactly right...

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I agree that this sound like criminal charges are about to be made and the Board had to scurry to make changes before the charges were made public. The next few days could be interesting.
+1
No other reason for this type of announcement, in this fashion. Even a CEO firing for performance has a planned transition period.

Originally Posted by Marin 1K
On 903 about to depart. Flight attendants just heard, and they and PAX burst into applause and cheers. That says something...
I broke into applause here in my home office

That said, I think we'll see a short term boost in employee morale, but it wouldn't surprise me if things get worse for passengers before they get better. It would be a different story if he were fired for performance, we'd see several short term gives to prove to customers that things are changing. My guess is it's status quo for the next year while they sort out some of the legal issues here.

Not the way I wanted to see him go, but I echo the sentiment that it's finally a change I like.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I think you're exactly right...

+1
No other reason for this type of announcement, in this fashion. Even a CEO firing for performance has a planned transition period.
Indeed though am guessing they had about a month or more to plan (of course a lot shorter than a true succession).

Bethune on his Facebook page last week thanked Jeff for letting him get one last 757 simulator ride.

And Bethune's health is just fine.

He also was very ready to get on CNBC and defend Jeff this afternoon...

I'll bet Jeff made this call to resign himself. He's a savvy lawyer - knows the process. And hand picked Munoz who has been sitting in the room the whole time.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Sep 8, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
Oh my......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.