Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

largest discrepancy between o/w and roundtrip

largest discrepancy between o/w and roundtrip

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver
largest discrepancy between o/w and roundtrip prices

Travelling to MAJ (Majuro, Marshall Islands) is very expensive however you look at it , i.e. HNL-MAJ $1600 roundtrip, $940 oneway.

Interestingly, NRT-MAJ roundtrip is a bargain at $943 (H class) but the cheapest NRT-MAJ oneway I have found is $1921 (Y class - same dates). Tried a few dates in November and it was pretty much like this throughout. I don't normally like throwaway tickets but I only need a oneway on this trip. They must be trying to attract Japanese holiday traffic to MAJ (good luck with that)

What's the biggest encouragement UA has given you to think about skipping a return leg? Any other 'bargains' to get to MAJ?

Last edited by majfly; Sep 4, 2015 at 8:24 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Miles. That's what I would do if I had to do a one-way in your situation.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have seen IAH-LGA Round Trip for $340 and half of the exact same trip price as $800 One Way. It's one of those mixed business/pleasure situations requiring me to travel one way at my own expense that makes me happy UA allows one way award tickets.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As a percentage or in absolute dollars?

IAH-WAS can easily be $750 one way, $250 RT if the RT covers the right days.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS / IHG Spire RA / HHonors Gold / SPG Marriott Plat
don't use your MP number and skip out on the return leg. or use your MP number and cancel the remainder. this will only cause you issues if you book as part of a company that uses a travel agent (they can get penalized) or if you yourself are a travel agent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.