Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to close HNL & DTW reservations office & DTW GS office {work from home option}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to close HNL & DTW reservations office & DTW GS office {work from home option}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
The interests of union leadership often diverge from those of the rank and file. And labor agreements often get rammed through with rank and file not really understanding (or having any ability to alter) the long-term effects.
Are you saying that, just because they are res agents, that they can't weigh the pros and cons of the contract as it pertains to their own well-being? Believe me when I say that the rank-and-file res agents do exercise intelligent thought when they voted and ratified their contract.

{Don't} equate work-from-home with the sweatshop, when in reality many res agents welcome the opportunity to work from home, for whatever reasons that suit their circumstances, lifestyle choices, etc. Wage is not the only determinant.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2015 at 1:42 am Reason: Discuss the issue, not the posters
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If I remember correctly, did not Sen. Daniel Inouye from Hawaii (now passed) put pressure on UA to keep the call center open? UA, threatened to close that call center several years ago and UA caved under pressure.

Perhaps I am wrong. How many UA employees want to move the "the windy city" or "h town" from the great state of Hawaii. I would guess not many. The pay cut to work in your home is garbage. This is simply a way for UA management to get rid of those over payed senior employees. They are the best agents UA has. Shame, shame, shame.

Just outsource everything to India or the Philippines if you are trying to save money UA.

Another major FAIL by UA management. I get it. Close the call center, but why cut the pay? They are doing the same job that they have done for many years. They were team players and worked hard for travelers that flew UA.

Now UA management found a way to cut their pay and they must buy their own computer. Where is the Union on this? I am sure many of these dedicated UA employees paid dues to the Union for what?

Close the call center, I get that - it is 2015. But, cutting pay? That I have a huge problem with.

Aloha.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:11 am

As an agent that was affected by the closing of SLC, I can give you my perspective. I tried very hard to view this as a transition, not a negative thing. The pay cut is 15%, hopefully in a new union contract will reflect that we will have more remote agents than those working in centers and more pay will be negotiated.

The pay cut and having to purchase my own equipment isn't the issue for me. It's the isolation, it's not having the office buzz around me. All those things that used to annoy me about some of my co-workers, are now things that I miss. I have always taken a lot pride in my work, so I study the industry, study the tools that I work with. I would imagine that if you were to ever to speak to me on the reservations line, you wouldn't know which side I came from, although my tag name and location give it away. To combat the issues that I have with the program, I have reduced to Part Time at UA and taken a full time job outside my home. I have to say, I loved working for Continental, and I love working for United. I just don't love working from home. I'm sending all the good energy that I can to my fellow co-workers in Detroit and Honolulu.

I'm not a company shill by any means, but when the concept of working remotely was introduced, there was a list a mile long of agents willing to take a pay cut to work from home. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it is. As far as my own equipment, I doubt the company would have sprung for my 26 inch monitor. I was happy to do that, I don't have to use my reading glasses as much.

I wish nothing but happy travels, and wonderful contact experiences for all our customers.

Last edited by COGal; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:47 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
HNL call center will close December 2016.

Sadly confirmed.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NewportGuy
Curious about people who live in cities or areas with a higher minimum wage. Does that affect it?
From what I read in the contract last night, no.
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
[HNL closes Dec 2016] Sadly confirmed.
Where did you get that date. A UA spokesman gave me early 2017 for the HNL center.

Originally Posted by kettle1
How many UA employees want to move the "the windy city" or "h town" from the great state of Hawaii.
Probably very few. Of course, that's not the only option.

Where is the Union on this?
It agreed to the terms under which this would happen some years ago.

Originally Posted by COGal
The pay cut and having to purchase my own equipment isn't the issue for me. It's the isolation, it's not having the office buzz around me. All those things that used to annoy me about some of my co-workers, are now things that I miss.
This is the most significant bit IMO. And I say that having similarly taken a pay cut (much larger than 15%) and shifted my working lifestyle some years ago.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
As an agent that was affected by the closing of SLC, I can give you my perspective. I tried very hard to view this as a transition, not a negative thing. The pay cut is 15%, hopefully in a new union contract will reflect that we will have more remote agents than those working in centers and more pay will be negotiated.

The pay cut and having to purchase my own equipment isn't the issue for me. It's the isolation, it's not having the office buzz around me. All those things that used to annoy me about some of my co-workers, are now things that I miss. I have always taken a lot pride in my work, so I study the industry, study the tools that I work with. I would imagine that if you were to ever to speak to me on the reservations line, you wouldn't know which side I came from, although my tag name and location give it away. To combat the issues that I have with the program, I have reduced to Part Time at UA and taken a full time job outside my home. I have to say, I loved working for Continental, and I love working for United. I just don't love working from home. I'm sending all the good energy that I can to my fellow co-workers in Detroit and Honolulu.

I'm not a company shill by any means, but when the concept of working remotely was introduced, there was a list a mile long of agents willing to take a pay cut to work from home. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it is. As far as my own equipment, I doubt the company would have sprung for my 26 inch monitor. I was happy to do that, I don't have to use my reading glasses as much.

I wish nothing but happy travels, and wonderful contact experiences for all our customers.
You are a trooper. Thanks to people like you UA is a great carrier. I wonder one thing? What did the Union dues you and the others paid for all those years do to help you? I would be upset with the union.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:01 am

You are a trooper. Thanks to people like you UA is a great carrier. I wonder one thing? What did the Union dues you and the others paid for all those years do to help you? I would be upset with the union.
Coming from the CO side, I wasn't a part of the union until 2013 when our contract ratified. Everything that UA has done has been allowed by the contract, so it's been with the agreement of our union.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:12 am

Coming from the CO side, I wasn't a part of the union until 2013 when our contract ratified. Everything that UA has done has been allowed by the contract, so it's been with the agreement of our union.
And people wonder why union membership is at or near historic lows.

While I'm not a fan of outmoded work rules in the standard union-management contract, I can see the utility of a union and management agreeing to things like being able to close bricks and mortar units. I don't understand at all why a union would ever allow management to cut the pay of experienced workers.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Out of total respect will not disclose but that is the date I was given without asking for specifics. I had sent my regrets. Thank you.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I loved working for Continental, and I love working for United. I just don't love working from home. I'm sending all the good energy that I can to my fellow co-workers in Detroit and Honolulu.
Thank you COGal for sharing with us your perspective. Best wishes to everyone, and I hope that you have found a good balance between working at home and other pursuits.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
United to Close HNL and DTW Reservations

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...oreUserAgent=1

Employees will be permitted to work from home.

The carrier has chosen not to renew leases for its call centers in Detroit and Honolulu, United's director of labor relations, Thomas Reardon, said in a letter to the call center workers union, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers District 141.

In the letter, Reardon said the call centers “are no longer financially viable to maintain” and will be closed by the end of next year. About 430 people in both locations will be affected by the decision, according to the company. The call center workers handle customer inquires about reservations, ticket changes and related matters.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I too have had nothing but good experiences with the sCO SLC agents. I found them to be the best from the sCO side. I seem to remember they also had the *A desk, that I used many times to upgrade on CM. They were the only ones that new how to do it.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Thank you for sharing, COGal! This kind of personal experience is great insight. I hope it helps your colleagues in HNL and DTW who are facing the same situation you did.

I remember having some great interactions with work-from-home SLC agents - maybe you were one of them!

Keep up your spirits! Maybe you folks can create a work-related instant messaging group to create some virtual "office buzz"?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If all the service reps now stationed in Honolulu and Detroit decide to transition to working at home, that means the Chicago-based airline will be able to knock $4 an hour off the wages of more than 400 agents working 40 hours a week. That could add up to a savings of $3.3 million or more for United, which is trying to shave $2 billion from its operating costs by 2017.
http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...-reps-are.html

$3.3 million seems like such a small dent in the $2 billion UA is looking for. Does make you wonder what jobs are on the line in the next go-round.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...-reps-are.html

$3.3 million seems like such a small dent in the $2 billion UA is looking for. Does make you wonder what jobs are on the line in the next go-round.
I believe the $4/hour number is incorrect per the union contract; I posted the comparison numbers above. It is a 15% pay scale cut to the employees but that's not $4/hour even at the top of the scale.

Also, a significant portion of the savings will come from not leasing the real estate and not paying the associated costs which come with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.