Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2016 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread

In recent years, the policy has been,
UA will extend up to 2 GPUs from the January expiration to the April 30 expiration if the elite has re-qualified for 1K status or GS.

Generally UA does not announce the policy until mid to late November. And there is no guarantee the policy will be renewed any year. UPDATE: Two confirmed occurrences in mid-November 2015 that this is again the policy.

Extension can be done via email or phone -- also either MPSC or phone agents (some phone agents will need to get help).

And as in years past, no extensions of RPUs

And just a reminder, GPUs can not be applied to flights scheduled after the expiration date.
Print Wikipost

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2016 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Last two extended. Took agent longer than I thought but shows extended.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Anybody had luck extending the GPUs if he didn't re-qualify for 1 K status?

Last edited by gv111; Nov 18, 2015 at 5:08 am
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:52 pm

Any chance on getting RPUs extended?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ILman
Any chance on getting RPUs extended?
They do not extend RPUs. In terms of extendingGPUs for someone who hasn't qualified, their answer is a straight NO. I was given a hard time when I asked and agent was verifying my 1K qualification for next year and said you haven't yet qualified because of 12k PQD, and I said I have a waiver because of my address. She said let me check and stood corrected. Bottom line- they are definitely verifying requalification
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:25 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Great to hear that they will allow extending the GPUs. I will have 2 left over and will need to travel in March, which I can use them then.
Just have to wait till mid-Dec to requaify
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I was able to use all my 8 from last year (7 at booking and 1 at the 48 hour window).
However I still have one RPU left. Any chance they would extend that!?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
... However I still have one RPU left. Any chance they would extend that!?
Nope, UA has never done that. You can try but .....
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1706792-will-ua-extend-exp

Originally Posted by matkusopet
This is usually a December-ish question. My GPUs were extended through April 30th, but have already been spent ^
I have RPU expiring jan 2016. Do you know if UA will extend this? I made 1k this year
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I have RPU expiring jan 2016. Do you know if UA will extend this? I made 1k this year
You can ask but they typically will not extend RPUs. GPUs, yes; RPUs, no.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You can ask but they typically will not extend RPUs. GPUs, yes; RPUs, no.

Thanks very much, Kacee!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I requalified for 1K a couple of days ago and was able to extend the expiration of two GPUs after three tries. The first agent said that she didn't know anything about it. The second agent said that UA will only extend GPU expiration after January 1. The third agent took care of everything promptly, politely and with no push back.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GPU "extended" but expiry not changed?

Had (or still have) one GPU expiring 1/31/16. Agent immediately (and without befuddlement, I might add) took my PIN, called M+ and came back saying GPU had been extended thru 4/30. My account shows one GPU redeemed and one deposited today. I guess the actual process is not to extend GPUs, but to issue new ones with the new date and "redeem" the expiring ones. Same outcome, in any case...

...But the GPU in question still has a 1/31/16 expiration. Does it take a while for the change to show or should it be (as I think it would be...) as immediate as the redemption/issuance?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question - there was indeed a lag between the GPU redemption/issuance that showed up in account activity and change of expiration date associated with the GPU in account. Less than 1/2 hour in my case. And it wasn't a logout/login issue - I tried that....

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:23 am
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Had (or still have) one GPU expiring 1/31/16. Agent immediately (and without befuddlement, I might add) took my PIN, called M+ and came back saying GPU had been extended thru 4/30. My account shows one GPU redeemed and one deposited today. I guess the actual process is not to extend GPUs, but to issue new ones with the new date and "redeem" the expiring ones. Same outcome, in any case...

...But the GPU in question still has a 1/31/16 expiration. Does it take a while for the change to show or should it be (as I think it would be...) as immediate as the redemption/issuance?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question - there was indeed a lag between the GPU redemption/issuance that showed up in account activity and change of expiration date associated with the GPU in account. Less than 1/2 hour in my case. And it wasn't a logout/login issue - I tried that....
IME, it's actually almost instant. Or 2-3 min at most.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
IME, it's actually almost instant. Or 2-3 min at most.
Appears to vary. I have a reservation in February I wanted to upgrade and it took (for me) between 15-30 minutes for the GPU's expiration date to change after seeing activity posted.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i've had success in the past for the extensions from emailing 1Kvoice. i'm <2k left for requal right now, and still may have a work trip coming up.. either that or its going to be a random weekend run somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.