Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inflight purchase - transaction declined post flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold

Purchased a sandwich in-flight on a generic gift card only to discover a few days later that I had used up all of the balance. Anyone know how I can true up the $4 I owe United? Or will United simply let it slide?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
I don't think it's enough money for UA to pursue it.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
How do you know it declined? I thought with onboard wifi UA could immediately verify...?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

From what I understand, they batch the transactions and then clear them when the airplane lands.

I did try to check on https://inflightreceipts.ual.com with no luck.

I learned that transaction was declined when I checked online myself a week or so later. I wanted to make sure I had used up all of the gift card balance and saw that the United transaction had failed. My usual MO is to keep using a gift card until a merchant declines the purchase at the point of sale. Then I know I'm out of money.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
How do you know it declined? I thought with onboard wifi UA could immediately verify...?
Nope. The BoB transactions are not real-time yet.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by skylane
From what I understand, they batch the transactions and then clear them when the airplane lands.

I did try to check on https://inflightreceipts.ual.com with no luck.

I learned that transaction was declined when I checked online myself a week or so later. I wanted to make sure I had used up all of the gift card balance and saw that the United transaction had failed. My usual MO is to keep using a gift card until a merchant declines the purchase at the point of sale. Then I know I'm out of money.
I don't get how this helps you. I was under the impression that the transaction gets declined, but it doesn't tell you how much money you have left, which means you still have to track it.

I'd never, ever use a gift card to purchase stuff on UA though. UA is a travel company, and as such, I'd get 2X points for purchases from UA through my Chase Sapphire Preferred. I only ever use gift cards to purchase stuff that's not in a special bonus category on my regular credit cards (travel, dining, gasoline, etc), and I'll generally find a single large purchase to use them on, so that I can use the balance all at once and don't have to keep track of how much money is left on the darn thing.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If you feel guilty about it you could send them a check.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 30, 2015 at 8:07 pm Reason: unneeded comment removed
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by kettle1
If you feel guilty about it you could send them a check.
I am not sure they are setup to accept checks from people without accounting for it in a specific transaction.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 30, 2015 at 8:07 pm Reason: Quote update to reflect Mod edit
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My guess is that their fraud % is so low that they just writeoff the small stuff. Not worth pursuing and it will cost them more than $4 to process the check.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they will add it back to the next ticket you purchase.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Maybe they will add it back to the next ticket you purchase.
Realize this was probably in jest but how would they know who made the inflight purchase. A simple name check is a weak method.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Realize this was probably in jest but how would they know who made the inflight purchase. A simple name check is a weak method.
I believe they jotted down my seat number when entering in the order. I did see the FA check up to look at the row number when she processed my order.

The gift card isn't in my name though - just a generic "Gift Card Recipient".
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I believe they jotted down my seat number when entering in the order. I did see the FA check up to look at the row number when she processed my order. ..
given the amount of seat changes / shuffling that occurs, that is a weak crosscheck.

... The gift card isn't in my name though - just a generic "Gift Card Recipient".
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If you want to drop of the payment in person take the cash to:
Physical Address:

United Airlines, Inc.
233 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
United States

Be sure to get a receipt for proof of payment.

If you want to mail a check/money order/cashiers check:
Postal Address:

United Airlines, Inc.
PO Box 06649
Chicago, IL 60606-0649
United States

Be sure to provide the date, flt, seat number, etc on the check. I would send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

If you want to get the payment there ASAP, send it Fed Ex overnight.

Good luck OP. I am sure it will work out in the end. You are the most honest person I have seen in a long time. This is about a sandwich, correct?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
How about just writing in to customer service and asking them. If they say to forget about it, at least you have a written record.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.