Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:14 am

Need 1000 PQM: Cheapest R/T out of IAD?

I will need to 2 flights/1000 PQM out of IAD to make Gold for 2016. Already have PQD in place with Chase spend waiver.

What routes should I be looking at?

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
As Silver you'd get 500 PQM minimum per leg, so pick any close destination. You can do a RT search for 0 day flight. IAD-EWR in November shows $100 total IAD-EWR-IAD flights (11/11). If you're picky with dates then play with different destinations.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
This is an easy thing to search for in Google flights.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...CE;mp=100;mc=m

That, for example, will get you a same-day turn on any destination out of Dulles on the 24th of October on Star Alliance (so United, realistically) for less than $100. Play with the filters at the top and you can refine or broaden as you see fit; pick a date that works for you and cap the dollars and see what shows up. Click on whatever red city you prefer. It will pop up a little box on the left with a nice photo of it and a graph of prices to fly there. Click the red "Show Flights" box in the photo and it'll give you your out and back flights, sorted by price by default; once done, it'll even provide a link to United directly to the booking page.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Buy them?

How about booking a fully refundable ticket and buying the extra miles and PQMs and then canceling the reservation? Not sure what the going rate is today but for a 1,000 PQMs it can be more than a few hundred dollars.

FWIW
DLM
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle
United Millage Run - Newbie post

I've lurked here for a while trying to take it all in and I'm not going to lie, this can be an intimidating group.

I'm based in PHX, I'm currently Premier Platinum and will be about 3K miles short of PP for 2016. I've looked a couple of flights I could do in a weekend but wondered if anyone wanted to offer up advice on a good run out of PHX or any other tactic you may have to offer up to help me achieve my goal.

Apologies in advance if this is not the right board, etc.

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bgmix1
I've lurked here for a while trying to take it all in and I'm not going to lie, this can be an intimidating group.

I'm based in PHX, I'm currently Premier Platinum and will be about 3K miles short of PP for 2016. I've looked a couple of flights I could do in a weekend but wondered if anyone wanted to offer up advice on a good run out of PHX or any other tactic you may have to offer up to help me achieve my goal.

Apologies in advance if this is not the right board, etc.

Thanks
Either book a quick mileage run for the miles you need or make a dummy booking, let it ticket and buy the premier accelerator miles offered. Then cancel the ticket. Only problem being you could be offered more miles than needed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2015 at 2:02 pm Reason: clean up after move, thanks for the link
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
http://goo.gl/flights/19wD
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
+1

FWIW I see PHX-EWR nonstop for sub-$300 in December, which will net you 4.2k PQM.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Check out these threads for general tips on the MR topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...iscussion-627/

SunLover
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by aacharya
Thanks for this. I think there may be something I'm not understanding: Are the PQM now calculated at 9x base fare (for PP) or actual BIS miles flown?

Based on the fare, which is what I thought they were doing now, this flight wouldn't generate enough PQM, or am I wrong?

I'm going to go back and read this thread from the beginning now that my post was moved here.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
+1

FWIW I see PHX-EWR nonstop for sub-$300 in December, which will net you 4.2k PQM.
Yes thanks. This is the route I fly every month. I was looking for a change of pace

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2015 at 5:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks for this. I think there may be something I'm not understanding: Are the PQM now calculated at 9x base fare (for PP) or actual BIS miles flown? ....
based on BIS miles, with a 500 mile min (for UA and a few other partners) and a potential multiplier based on fare class (but always at least 100% for UA operated flights)

Based on the fare, which is what I thought they were doing now, this flight wouldn't generate enough PQM, or am I wrong? ....
RDMs, used for awards, are based on PQDs / fare.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:39 pm

Question PQM short by 454 miles

Hi,

This year, to quality for silver status on united (), I will be short by 454 miles. Any tips on how to get the cheaply? Had booked a ticket on the wrong class and did not get about 4000 PQMs.

Regards,
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swapdude
Hi,

This year, to quality for silver status on united (), I will be short by 454 miles. Any tips on how to get the cheaply? Had booked a ticket on the wrong class and did not get about 4000 PQMs.

Regards,
Where do you fly from? Whats's "cheaply" mean?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:50 am

I fly from IAD/DCA. What are the cheapest routes for United? Is there a way to earn the PQMs without flying?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swapdude
I fly from IAD/DCA. What are the cheapest routes for United? Is there a way to earn the PQMs without flying?
$145 R/T to Newark
$137 R/T to Orlando
$148 R/T to Boston

At those price points, using Award Accelerator (see the accompanying thread) is probably not going to be as cheap. But that is a means to not fly and earn the PQMs. (I would check, but as a Premier, my minimum amount of purchased PQMS would be 1000s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.