Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus® Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus® Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
United can do - and seems to do - anything it wants. Ask any UA Million Miler!

However, one does pay a lot for annual membership - and for credit card passes too! Now, they are going to make usage more restrictive!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by JBord
If this is really about restricting employees from taking advantage of the clubs, it seems there might be a better way to do that. Perhaps add rules to the free standby travel benefit for example.
How about an employment work rule: UA employees can not be United Club members during their tenure with United. No new memberships will be accepted. Existing memberships are kept in force until they expire. Family members are exempt.

If an employee wants to use a UC for whatever reason they can use a day pass.

SL
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
No great loss. The last two times I have visited a United Club at EWR there has literally been nowhere to sit. Gross. I'd rather pay for a glass of wine and sit it out in one of the many restaurants around.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Well said, and I would remind the people who are squealing that UA has the data regarding what percentage of people who now use the club will be excluded under the new policy, and we don't.
The people that are "squealing" are those who have used this benefit. I've only used it a few times, less than 5 total. And it's not about the number, it's about how meaningful that access was on those situations.

For those this doesn't matter to because you've never used it and never intend to use, just wait, once this goes through they will go after something that does matter to you, and you can be on the other end of the conversation, where what you value and find important is diminished and dismissed.

If there really is a problem this is supposed to solve, why not just tell us? There is simply nothing to be gained by opacity, unless you've got something to hide.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I wish that they had just said that they are changing their gate pass policy so that you only get five gate passes a year or something like that. I would think that would cover 99.999% of customers needs.

If it is an employee issue, that deal with it inside the company, not so that it effects actual customers
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Employees have always been excluded. If the issue of overcrowding is the goal, this trimming at the superfluous edges isn't going to do a thing anyone will notice on a logical scale. Sure, if 10,000 visitors are reduced by 2 it's a technical reduction...and so what? That's like removing 2 buckets of water from a flooded city.
I believe this change in policy addresses 2 issues; 1) Occasional use via Gate Passes and 2) Non United Airport Employees.

As Frequent Flyers, we naturally focus our attention to the Gate pass issue. However, if we view this from the perspective of an Airport employee, there is actually a good incentive to buy/use an United Club membership. An airport employee would be at their job close to 220-250 days a year. If they purchased an United Club yearly membership, this would average to about $2/day.

As an airport employee with a United Club membership, you can stop by the United Club to pick up a cup of coffee (instead of paying $2-3 at a concession stand). You can pick up a paper to two (Local Paper, USA Today, Wall Street Journal). You can drop by for a mid break snack (saving another few bucks). After work, drop by for a cocktail or two. The savings quickly add up and an United Club membership looks to be a smart “investment”. And, of course, you can use your membership when you do actually fly.

Note- I do not recall seeing airport employees in uniform using the United Club. However, mid level and upper level employees, who wear indistinguishable, normal business attire, would blend in.

To put this in perspective, if you work in an office building or a company campus, imagine there is a place in your building/campus called the “Elite” club. For $500 you can join the “Elite” club. During your workday, you can drop by to pick up free coffee, free newspapers, free snacks, free drinks, etc. All for $2/day. Would you join?

I do not have any idea how pervasive the issue of Airport employees “abusing” the United Club (assuming it is a problem). Obviously the United Club personnel would know the “regulars”. It might be interesting to ask United Club personnel what prompted this change, to see what they say.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
The people that are "squealing" are those who have used this benefit. I've only used it a few times, less than 5 total. And it's not about the number, it's about how meaningful that access was on those situations.

For those this doesn't matter to because you've never used it and never intend to use, just wait, once this goes through they will go after something that does matter to you, and you can be on the other end of the conversation, where what you value and find important is diminished and dismissed.

If there really is a problem this is supposed to solve, why not just tell us? There is simply nothing to be gained by opacity, unless you've got something to hide.
Explain why one would need to use the lounge while inside security via a gate pass. UA Insider has already said that conference rooms will be accessible if needed.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Am I the only one surprised that they didn't copy DLs lounge guest policy?
That would have been far more effective in reducing crowding...
That culd still happen...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
other agenda?

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:59 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Explain why one would need to use the lounge while inside security via a gate pass. UA Insider has already said that conference rooms will be accessible if needed.
FWIW, using my lifetime member benefit of 4hrs of conference room time per month is a total PITA. I have to book in advance and pay a deposit and then I have to make multiple calls to get my deposit refunded and check my credit card bill carefully to ensure that it has been. I've done this several times and it always turns ut the same way.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PBAudit
I believe this change in policy addresses 2 issues; 1) Occasional use via Gate Passes and 2) Non United Airport Employees.

As Frequent Flyers, we naturally focus our attention to the Gate pass issue. However, if we view this from the perspective of an Airport employee, there is actually a good incentive to buy/use an United Club membership. An airport employee would be at their job close to 220-250 days a year. If they purchased an United Club yearly membership, this would average to about $2/day.
Good point about non-United airport employees. It's a possibility this is happening. Still seems UA could come up with a better way to deal with this if it's an issue.

Heck, if I worked at an airport, I'm almost positive I would have taken advantage of this, unless there was a rule forbidding it.

This is a much more compelling reason than the "overcrowding" reason, and I hope this is the reason UA changed the rule. I think many of us are conditioned to see every small change UA makes as just a precursor (or a test run) to the one that will really hurt us, after years of that behavior.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:18 pm

I dare say no one ever needs to use any lounge. Somehow we do manage to survive when there is no lounge available at an airport. Yes, conference rooms are available for an additional fee, for that real need to meeting at the airport for an additional fee.

When I used the lounge with a gate pass: Brother was arriving from a flight, that ended up arriving 2 hours late, it was a small consolation I could wait it out at the lounge, that is one reason I pay for it, no?

I had explained in a previous post another instance, seeing someone off, who's flight was when we got there, then was cancelled as soon as we got to the lounge, I was there to help out a non-frequent traveler in rebooking, and then that flight was delayed...it was sure nice I could be there to help out.

Last edited by transportbiz; Aug 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by PBAudit

As an airport employee with a United Club membership, you can stop by the United Club to pick up a cup of coffee (instead of paying $2-3 at a concession stand). You can pick up a paper to two (Local Paper, USA Today, Wall Street Journal). You can drop by for a mid break snack (saving another few bucks). After work, drop by for a cocktail or two. The savings quickly add up and an United Club membership looks to be a smart “investment”. And, of course, you can use your membership when you do actually fly.

Note- I do not recall seeing airport employees in uniform using the United Club. However, mid level and upper level employees, who wear indistinguishable, normal business attire, would blend in.

To put this in perspective, if you work in an office building or a company campus, imagine there is a place in your building/campus called the “Elite” club. For $500 you can join the “Elite” club. During your workday, you can drop by to pick up free coffee, free newspapers, free snacks, free drinks, etc. All for $2/day. Would you join?

I do not have any idea how pervasive the issue of Airport employees “abusing” the United Club (assuming it is a problem). Obviously the United Club personnel would know the “regulars”. It might be interesting to ask United Club personnel what prompted this change, to see what they say.
This is interesting, and will be addressed by the boarding pass rule for sure. But, why eliminate the gate pass? There should be a way to ration this based on visits. If someone is visiting a lounge 15-20 times a week, there's something going on, easy enough to deal with that one abusive issue rather than cast the wide net and dissatisfy so many others.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is interesting, and will be addressed by the boarding pass rule for sure. But, why eliminate the gate pass? There should be a way to ration this based on visits. If someone is visiting a lounge 15-20 times a week, there's something going on, easy enough to deal with that one abusive issue rather than cast the wide net and dissatisfy so many others.
While I certainly have made use of the gate pass access, I can't imagine the issue behind this change has to do with club access for those who are not airline employees. I see this as UA solving a small prblem with a very big hammer.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS
This may be a situation of "Killing two birds with one stone". I do not know how often membership rules change, but I don't believe it is that often (i.e. every couple of years). Thus, when a change occurs, you include everything that you have "batched" since the last change.

It may be that the Airport Employee abuse issue had been festering for a while, and they decided to do something about this. After coming up with the boarding pass policy, an after thought may be the idea about restricting gate passes.

The more I think about this issue, the more I believe the primary driver of this change was Airport Employee abuse. Think of this issue in the following manner.

If the primary (only) issue is about restricting gate passes, why not simply restrict gate passes? Why go the extra mile of requiring a boarding pass for admittance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.