Search

UA 896 - Reliability of SIN-HKG-ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold

Question for those in the know:

I need to go to Singapore for a meeting, but need to be back two days later. The meeting would be on the Thursday, and I need to be back in ORD on the Friday.

Given all the issues that UA has had, can anyone share their advice as to whether I should take UA 896 or try to book another flight? I know the issues have bee mostly domestic (IRROPS, etc), and that international seems to be more reliable, however, I can't be back on Saturday... need to be back on Friday.

(Its sad that it has come to this - I can no longer rely on UA).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by nyr2299
Question for those in the know:

I need to go to Singapore for a meeting, but need to be back two days later. The meeting would be on the Thursday, and I need to be back in ORD on the Friday.

Given all the issues that UA has had, can anyone share their advice as to whether I should take UA 896 or try to book another flight? I know the issues have bee mostly domestic (IRROPS, etc), and that international seems to be more reliable, however, I can't be back on Saturday... need to be back on Friday.

(Its sad that it has come to this - I can no longer rely on UA).
I feel your pain - and I would book NH - they have a flight leaving SIN at 550 to NRT and then you can take the NH flight to ORD from there. It's also their new business staggered product on both flights now - all aisle access - and to me it's a significantly better hard and soft product on NH now compared to UA.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The Pacific operation is more reliable despite all the troubles for international flights originating from EWR this summer. SIN-HKG-ORD is on the same aircraft. There is little chance that you would miss a connection. Happy travels.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

It is sUA Transpacific 777 - you will be fine.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I feel your pain - and I would book NH - they have a flight leaving SIN at 550 to NRT and then you can take the NH flight to ORD from there. It's also their new business staggered product on both flights now - all aisle access - and to me it's a significantly better hard and soft product on NH now compared to UA.
Couldn't agree more

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The Pacific operation is more reliable despite all the troubles for international flights originating from EWR this summer. SIN-HKG-ORD is on the same aircraft. There is little chance that you would miss a connection. Happy travels.
Well the aircraft is only one part of the equation. The other part is the crew and unless things have changed the pilots work some crazy pattern so if there are irrops within their schedule it could impact SIN-HKG or HKG-ORD. From what I heard the pilots work ORD-HKG-SIN-NRT-SIN-HKG-ORD over a 10 day span. I believe this is not the only trip where the pilots work these "W" trips. I believe some flight attendants do similar routings, though not necessarily for UA 895/896.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
It is sUA Transpacific 777 - you will be fine.
No ocean and no UA AC is immune to UA's shameful international reliability. There are several other threads on FT with lots of sad details.

Why would anyone fly UA to ORD for a two-day meeting when there are so many other nice, reliable choices?

Last edited by artvandalay; Aug 3, 2015 at 1:22 pm Reason: ORD not SIN
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Why would anyone fly UA to SIN for a two-day meeting when there are so many other nice, reliable choices?
i did this a few years ago because it was by far the cheapest option. a weather delay and a sick passenger delayed us for 2 days. but that seemed very out of the ordinary.

still, i wouldn't bank on UA for that route with a tight turnaround.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 am

We are assuming that the OP will be flying in C.

And I guess in Y, NH 31" seat pitch is less desirable to UA E+ of 34/35.
Foods and beverages wise, NH sure gets UA beat with attentive service, and hard liquors are free also.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Keller281
Foods and beverages wise, NH sure gets UA beat with attentive service, and hard liquors are free also.
That is definitely one area I agree - UA E+ is better in Y.

But still - if priority number 1 is making it back - and priority number 2 is not worrying priority number 1, then IMO NH > UA every day....
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Thanks all for the advice - unfortunately, the point is mute. UA was far cheaper than NH so my corp travel department forced me to take UA. Oh well, I love playing the lottery!!!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:31 am

Thanks all for the advice - unfortunately, the point is mute. UA was far cheaper than NH so my corp travel department forced me to take UA. Oh well, I love playing the lottery!!!
I fly this route monthly (on it next week as well) and I am a bit surprised as I can always find a routing at nearly identical pricing (I will admit it's always business class fares so Y may be different). Do you mind sharing the dates / booking classes - maybe we can find you a better deal and if not - sorry and watch the flights closely so you can be prepared to call UA and recommend another booking to get you back - BEFORE the actual trouble begins....
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Keller281
Depends on the aircraft. Some versions of the NH 77W have 34" pitch.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS
I fly this route monthly (on it next week as well) and I am a bit surprised as I can always find a routing at nearly identical pricing (I will admit it's always business class fares so Y may be different). Do you mind sharing the dates / booking classes - maybe we can find you a better deal and if not - sorry and watch the flights closely so you can be prepared to call UA and recommend another booking to get you back - BEFORE the actual trouble begins....
Very interesting. I've often found NH to be cheaper on TPAC routes on which there are competitive UA flights -- although not usually NRT/HND-US, on which NH tends to be a little pricier. NH is not a perfect airline by any stretch but their efficiency and reliability are hard to gainsay and while I still try to steer enough J-class business to UA to keep GS status each year (I ma generally close to borderline each year based on travel quantity), I do "cheat" on one or two legs per year, just to keep things honest -- almost always when the pricing is cheaper on NH.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:48 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks all for the advice - unfortunately, the point is mute. ...
You mean, "moot".
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA was far cheaper than NH so my corp travel department forced me to take UA.
They should be priced identically for a TPAC. They're in a JV. The only reason for a pricing disparity is fare bucket availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.