United cutting back service on DEN-YYC?

Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
United cutting back service on DEN-YYC?

Hi everyone,

I don't fly UA a ton, but end up connecting through DEN fairly regularly. Used to be mostly 737/320 on this route, but now it's mainly CRJ-700s, and a bit farther out in the calendar, it's usually CRJ-200s.

I have some flights I'd like to book in a few months and UA through DEN used to be a good connection, but (a) I hate CRJs generally and (b) I often want to fly J, which on a CRJ-200 is a no-go.

Anyone know why UA has cut back service on the route? Fall in oil prices lead to less traffic between YYC and DEN? Any likelihood that the CRJ-200s will be replaced with something more comfortable (I'm mostly looking at January-March)? If not, likely DL through SLC for me.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Goes mostly CRJ in late September. Did the same thing last year, a bit later in the season around late November.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA GS
I fly this route 30+ times a year. That rhythm is going on for at least 4 years.
Normally one real plane each way begin and end of week.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Given the dire news about the energy sector cutbacks and downsizing, I see many more regional jets in YYC's future.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Denver usually has one mainline a day, the 7ish departure, to YYC. The rest of flights are a mix between E170s, CR7s, and CR2s. United also stated in their earnings that they plan cut back oil and gas cities slightly coming up.

YYC to denver, the mainline usually leaves at 630am. Anything after that, count on a regional.

Last edited by SPLITTERZ; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Any likelihood that the CRJ-200s will be replaced with something more comfortable (I'm mostly looking at January-March)? If not, likely DL through SLC for me.

Thanks!
(1) delta will be better no matter what.

(2) I would expect cuts to DEN-YYC, dragging oil from tar sands is not a hip prospect with $50 oil...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
(1) delta will be better no matter what.
DL is showing all CR7/CR9 on SLC-YYC. It's better if you're in F or Y+ (or need wifi) but in cattle coach the differences between a CR7 and a CR2 are vanishingly small.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
but in cattle coach the differences between a CR7 and a CR2 are vanishingly small.
I think most of us who spend time on a CR2 would greatly disagree @:-)

And as to DL v UA comment, I believe that would be referring to posts about DLs much happier FAs, ontime arrival, and far fewer cancelled flights
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Hi everyone,

I don't fly UA a ton, but end up connecting through DEN fairly regularly. Used to be mostly 737/320 on this route, but now it's mainly CRJ-700s, and a bit farther out in the calendar, it's usually CRJ-200s.

I have some flights I'd like to book in a few months and UA through DEN used to be a good connection, but (a) I hate CRJs generally and (b) I often want to fly J, which on a CRJ-200 is a no-go.

Anyone know why UA has cut back service on the route? Fall in oil prices lead to less traffic between YYC and DEN? Any likelihood that the CRJ-200s will be replaced with something more comfortable (I'm mostly looking at January-March)? If not, likely DL through SLC for me.

Thanks!
they always down gauge in the fall and spring.
christmas they typically upgauge just the terminating denyyc and startup yycden flights.

dunno how dl via slc will help because slcyyc is always on a rj 200 or 700....unless something has changed?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
The decline of the CAD vs. USD has completely hammered Canada-originating transborder traffic.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Zappity
The decline of the CAD vs. USD has completely hammered Canada-originating transborder traffic.
True, but shouldn't the same phenomenon stimulate US-originating transborder traffic?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
Not really, UA/AC is pricing the fare in USD, so that fare isn't changing, the fare in CAD is just going up. Also, even though things in Calgary are cheaper, it's not a huge tourist destination outside of ski season, so a bunch of Americans aren't suddenly going to go to Calgary just because things are 20% cheaper there now.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS
Not really, UA/AC is pricing the fare in USD, so that fare isn't changing, the fare in CAD is just going up. Also, even though things in Calgary are cheaper, it's not a huge tourist destination outside of ski season, so a bunch of Americans aren't suddenly going to go to Calgary just because things are 20% cheaper there now.
And face it, things in Calgary are so outrageously expensive that even a25-30% break on the exchange rate isn't making up for it.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
True, but shouldn't the same phenomenon stimulate US-originating transborder traffic?
who wants to visit calgary or edmonton? meanwhile albertans were escaping canada for phx and mexico as much as possible when usd:cad was 1:1 and the oil was flowing
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:45 am

Shouldn't ski season bring US pax up to Banff and Lake Louise at the same time that UA is cutting down to CRJs? Can you even fit a pair of skis onto a CRJ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.