United MP Strategy to End the Year

Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Premier 1K, UA MM 1K; Marriott Platinum
Share Your United Status and Miles Strategy to End 2015

Hey all - I'm pretty new to the mileage programs, flyertalk and mileage strategy topics but have enjoyed reading and learning over the last couple months.

I just achieved Platinum on United this year. I travel to Asia and Europe 2-4 times per year each for work. I typically fly business class so that has allowed me to surpass the PQD thresholds very quickly (already spent over $12k!), thus I only really have to focus on the mileage accumulation. As stated, I just passed 76k miles this year, but don't have any other long-haul trip planned yet for the year (that could change).

With that said, I'm curious how others are thinking about their status going into the last quarter of the year. Is it worth doing a mileage run to hit the 1K mark? I can always use a vacation, but I've discovered finding a really good deal (3-4 CPD flights) are few and far between flying out of SFO.

I've also been really curious about the real value of United points and the 1k vs. Platinum or Gold status.

Using UA Miles:
What exactly do you guys use the points for? I'm finding upgrading via points is difficult and expensive - you gotta buy a certain fair class ticket for international flights to be eligible for complementary upgrades, and if you use miles + $$$ to upgrade, you gotta use 30k points and $600. Is that really a deal (I guess maybe if you buy K class +$600)? Maybe using the points for a saver business class seat? Using the .02 per point guidance, the price often ends up being similar to outright buying a deep discounted business class seat.

UA Status:
Gold status and up allows you to book economy plus tickets at the time of booking - a huge upgrade from Silver. I personally find this the most valuable part of the program - for vacations, I often buy cheapo tickets for me and the wife (K class) and can then get Economy plus - that's when I really value the status. But other than that - I'm finding it hard to clearly describe what platinum and 1k have an advantage over Gold (the GPU are nice). Sure, plat and 1k can get auto complimentary upgrades, but only on domestic flights (might be wrong), and they typically have to buy a certain class of ticket (Y/B/M) - which end up being almost the same price as a deep discounted business ticket!

Anyways, curious how you guys are thinking about the benefits of Gold/Plat/1k status and how you guys are using your points the most efficiently (what are you guys saving them for and spending them on?)

Last edited by Wangta; Jul 31, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
I'll be dropping from Platinum to Gold in 2016. I think the only thing I'll really be missing will be the ability to change/cancel award travel without fees. I typically use my miles to fly MrLaGinibre to Europe in Y.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if your international trips are in paid business class there is really not a reason to mileage run to 1K, since the biggest distinction between the two levels of status is the GPUs. i guess you also earn a couple of more miles per dollar spent on tickets too as a 1k vs. plat.

at any status level, all revenue fare classes are upgrade eligible. you're correct that for an instant upgrade at time of purchase you must buy YB as a plat/below or YBM as a 1K, and you also have to have availability in the instant upgrade fare bucket (PN as i recall).

another distinguishing factor between gold and plat/1K is that for plat you get 2 RPUs and for 1k you get 4, plus another 2 for every 25K additional miles you fly (i.e., 125K = 6 total RPU).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wangta
I'm finding upgrading via points is difficult and expensive - you gotta buy a certain fair class ticket for international flights to be eligible for complementary upgrades
No fare class will get you complimentary upgrades on longhaul international flights unless you have some special sales deal (some companies do).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Most efficient way to use points/miles is to have Family Travel using them.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if your international trips are in paid business class there is really not a reason to mileage run to 1K, since the biggest distinction between the two levels of status is the GPUs. i guess you also earn a couple of more miles per dollar spent on tickets too as a 1k vs. plat.

at any status level, all revenue fare classes are upgrade eligible. you're correct that for an instant upgrade at time of purchase you must buy YB as a plat/below or YBM as a 1K, and you also have to have availability in the instant upgrade fare bucket (PN as i recall).

another distinguishing factor between gold and plat/1K is that for plat you get 2 RPUs and for 1k you get 4, plus another 2 for every 25K additional miles you fly (i.e., 125K = 6 total RPU).
If I was within reach of 1K, I would definitely do it just for the GPUs. I know people complain about finding them hard to use, but I would still greatly enjoy having 6 of those to use.

With regards to OP's question - as for what I use miles for - I have almost always used them for miles + copay upgrades on international flights, as well as TCON domestic. I'm beginning to contemplate using them to fly my wife free in international, where I pay / keep status by earning the PQMs, while my wife drops down (probably to Silver)...even if she's in a lower group / different PNR, she would still be able to board with me.

As for status - I do like Platinum for the RPUs and Group 1 boarding lane, since Group 2 is just a complete zoo (and even Group 1 is getting a bit big, TBH). But yes, I'd aim to stay at least Gold, just because the E+ means that, as a relatively short person, the leg room is never an issue and I'm always comfortable.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
As others have alluded to, if you're always flying business class for work then perhaps it's not worth it for you. But since you asked, I'll give my perspective.

This year is the first year I've hit 1K (last 2 years I was plat). I've found the bump to 1K to be very very valuable for the way I travel. I travel internationally often, far more than domestic, and my company has a deal that if I fly in economy for an international trip they give me a stipend for the inconvenience (which at the end of the day is a lot less money than if i just bought business class). My company also does not monitor the fare type, so long as it is in economy. Almost all business trips I purchase B fares for the PQM accelerator, lack of co-pay for upgrades, and higher chance of being upgraded.

So far this year, I am 12/12 on international upgrades and I also got CPU'd a few times domestically. I use the 6 GPUs to upgrade my 1st 6 flights in the year and i end up accumulating a ton of miles (over 250,000 this year). When the GPUs run out I upgrade with miles (which do add up quickly but I bank a lot early in the year). By the time I am running low on miles, boom I've hit 1K again and the GPUs are redeposited. This is where I am now at 121k PQM. I'll get 2 more RPUs soon and in the future 2 more GPUs.

So, for me, being 1K has completely changed my flight strategy.

But, as I said... if you're just buying business outright it probably doesn't matter much! My 2 cents
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
already qualified for 1K since June

now buying cheap AC P-class out of YYZ on AC ticket stock till EOY.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I hit the magical 2MM point. I had been chasing 1K for the last 12 years. I've spent anywhere from $5K to $12K in a year, but typically would spend like $8K.

I don't want to spend $12K just to go from Plat to 1K. Really, it's the earning rate and the mileage. For me to spend $12K, I would fly closer to 150K (thus earning more GPUs and RPUs). However, that's about a 50% increase in my flying. I don't really do mileage runs, I go somewhere and stay a while. I just don't have time or the money to travel longer.

As a 1K, I used to earn 200K+ RDM. With the new program, spending $12K will net me only 132K miles. That's a serious devaluation compared to AA.

True, the other programs have changed, but Delta does not have the $12K spend requirement even for Diamond. And American is still earning the old way, which I prefer.

For now, I'm dropping my travel to what I want to do, and giving up the GPUs and RPUs starting next year. I will miss 1K, but know that United will not miss me.

What's sad for them is I control the travel for my company ($$$) - so no one else is going to fly United either and I buy tickets for several family members and friends - to the tune of about $5K to $10K per year. All that is lost to United as well.

Can't track that stuff.

Billy
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Remember that the PQD requirement of $12K for 1K status is not waivable, as it is for Prem Gold and Prem Plat if you spend enough on a co-branded CC, so a mileage run may not be enough for OP, who didn't mention his PQD standing.

That's my dilemma - I'm at $8K on the spend, and will hit 1K miles by the end of the year, but can't see getting to $12K ... any suggestions? Any chance the non-waivable will get waived? (My CC spent is pretty high, just not on UA tix.)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by laginibre
I'll be dropping from Platinum to Gold in 2016. I think the only thing I'll really be missing will be the ability to change/cancel award travel without fees. I typically use my miles to fly MrLaGinibre to Europe in Y.
I'm dropping from 1K to Gold, and since I rarely change or cancel flights, I won't be missing anything.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Int'l Complimentary Upgrades ???

Oh Wise FT Sages,

I am a 1k and have been for 8 of the last 9 years.

In this thread I have seen the reference to "complimentary" international upgrades or "instant" upgrades for international flights. For the life of me, I never heard about this on international flights. Am I to understand, as a 1K, I can buy an "M" class ticket and get instantly upgraded to "P" class ? I usually buy "P" Class, but should I be looking at "M" class and check for Rn or Pn availability ??

Your insight and explanation are most greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise FT Sages,

I am a 1k and have been for 8 of the last 9 years.

In this thread I have seen the reference to "complimentary" international upgrades or "instant" upgrades for international flights. For the life of me, I never heard about this on international flights. Am I to understand, as a 1K, I can buy an "M" class ticket and get instantly upgraded to "P" class ? I usually buy "P" Class, but should I be looking at "M" class and check for Rn or Pn availability ??

Your insight and explanation are most greatly appreciated.
Already addressed in my post #4.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin

With that said, I'm curious how others are thinking about their status going into the last quarter of the year. Is it worth doing a mileage run to hit the 1K mark? I can always use a vacation, but I've discovered finding a really good deal (3-4 CPD flights) are few and far between flying out of SFO.

Anyways, curious how you guys are thinking about the benefits of Gold/Plat/1k status and how you guys are using your points the most efficiently (what are you guys saving them for and spending them on?)
I've flown SFO-SYD route this year and had 4 successful GPUs, where I had one last year. But all those were booked at V, H or E level, whereupon several years ago I was booking W class and getting these consistently. So its a little better now after the cull last year, but very much based on fare level.

What exactly do you guys use the points for? I'm finding upgrading via points is difficult and expensive - you gotta buy a certain fair class ticket for international flights to be eligible for complementary upgrades, and if you use miles + $$$ to upgrade, you gotta use 30k points and $600.
REgardless of class, as 1K/MM, I've never had complementary upgrade on United international flight. However, I was upgraded to business twice for free on 2 Star carriers, Lufthansa and Singapore. Both far superior in all respects, seat, bed, food, wine, music and service. Perhaps this done to entice me over from UA.

I've been 1K for 9 years now and MM for 3. I use miles exclusively to fly family on holidays and the only advantage I see are the GPUs for long haul use. I rarely use RPU, but when I do, the quality of food/seats/booze in BF isn't up to par with other carriers, nor worth added expense over EP. But I'm used to 8-15 hours flights, so anything under 4 is a bus ride for me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 2, 2015 at 4:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by syrahnose
REgardless of class, as 1K/MM, I've never had complementary upgrade on United international flight. However, I was upgraded to business twice for free on 2 Star carriers, Lufthansa and Singapore. Both far superior in all respects, seat, bed, food, wine, music and service. Perhaps this done to entice me over from UA..
You know, I got a very similar experience.

I got bumped from Y to F without any instruments on a SFO->ICN run. Never understood why. It was years ago though.

More recently, Air China and Asiana sent me to C from Y. Many times. And in the case of Asiana, they lured me to purchase C from them for East Asia <-> India, it worked pretty well. I can also confirm that if I can get the budget for it, Asiana is likely to get my business on TPAC C. I also splurged a few times on Air China and its little brother, Shenzhen Airlines (albeit in their case it is less convincing)

Heck, BA even did this, and I had ZERO status with them. Second flight in 20 years only. I just bought premium economy, I guess that was why.

Seatwise, I don't dislike UA. 2-4-2 doesn't bother me, in fact from a strictly selfish standpoint, it augments my chances to get my GPU honored, and that seat is flat, which is really nice. And sometimes, I get great crews. But usually, my experience on Asiana was superior.

All of this to say, GPUs are really what is keeping me at United. E+ is losing credibility as other companies introduce real premium economy. Service-wise, the advantage is definitely not UA most of the time. Management-wise, frankly I don't think Asiana's big boss spends his time telling his passengers that he is managing a business, or treats first checked bag free as something that unreasonable elites ask for (everyone gets a free bag).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.