Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tablets on HNL 777 flights & other IFE options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Taken from garykung's post
The tablet looks like this:

It is a customized Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4:

The harden case is for security purpose and rewiring (the 3.5mm jack and micro USB are re-positioned). So it is as heavy as a laptop. However, the "leather" case does not do a very good job as a stand. So you will have to find a way to place it.

The entertainment offering of the tablet and WiFi Streaming are not the same. So you will likely to see that tablet has a more recent offering (as I just watch San Andreas from the tablet). All of the media are stored locally in the tablet. You will not be interrupted by the PA system and any technological difficulties (as it will either play or not).

Since the Android OS has been customized, this tablet has no connectivity at all.

FA will make the tablets available after reaching 10K feet, which is the first thing served. FA will collect the tablet 30-45 minutes before landing.

Similar to other UA products, distance-pricing also applies to this tablet. It is free for premium class pax (BF for ex-HNL TPAC and F for ex-HNL domestic). AFAIK - it will cost $14.99 for Y pax to rent the tablet for GUM-HNL and $9.99 for HNL-SFO.
Print Wikipost

Tablets on HNL 777 flights & other IFE options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
As long as it's not a 737, the satellite wifi internet should work fine over the Pacific. Only the 737s have the crippled CONUS satellite system. 757 PS and 70-seat RJ have terrestrial wifi internet, but they don't cross oceans.
Lol...so even with my lower expectations UA fell well short. My favorite response from the FA was " we must be in a dead spot". Yep, from Denver to OGG, that's a big spot.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by tom911
I see UA says their devices will have 20 hours of battery life so guessing they won't distribute power cords with theirs. I didn't know the current generation of tablets could last that long (my original Samsung model lasts about 6 hours).
They'll probably use a protective case with a built-in extra battery.
Something like this: http://www.qvc.com/Justin-Case-9-10-...t.E224791.html
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think the tablets may just be an interim measure as I understand the forthcoming 77G configuration will have AVOD/power at each seat, and ultimately UA wants all of its A-market 777s to have the same layout.

Perhaps that explains why the current domestic 777 fleet (XA) was given a "quick and dirty" refurb, with better F seats to appease furious pax in the GUM-HNL market instead of a full reconfiguration. The IFE suite on the non-737 PDE ships is the same Panasonic server used for the more conventional AVOD PTV applications, but is distributed to pax via wireless routers instead of wired to at-seat hardware.

It's a fair compromise to address the complaints of pax who may not travel with personal devices. If a successful revenue stream, I wonder if we might see this concept brought to the PDE-equipped Airbus and 737 fleet on longer stages.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Is the app (a requirement for on-board media buying) as easily hacked as .bomb? Is UA's DRM Plug-In a security threat to personal devices? Is the tablet an improvement over these 2 bad choices? We like none of these changes. Install Wifi like the Gulf 3 for the 10hr EWR-HNL & we'll be fine instead of nickel & diming us.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Install Wifi like the Gulf 3 for the 10hr EWR-HNL & we'll be fine instead of nickel & diming us.
All 764s are wifi-equipped (reliability is a different story). @:-)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think the tablets may just be an interim measure as I understand the forthcoming 77G configuration will have AVOD/power at each seat, and ultimately UA wants all of its A-market 777s to have the same layout.

It's a fair compromise to address the complaints of pax who may not travel with personal devices. If a successful revenue stream, I wonder if we might see this concept brought to the PDE-equipped Airbus and 737 fleet on longer stages.
Really? Did they say they want to keep AVOD on the 77G fleet? Haven't seen that printed anywhere.

IDK -- loaded carts of personal devices on long flight? UA might as well pull the plug on the streaming thing and just add AVOD to the 319/320/739/738 like Delta is doing. They probably should have done that in the first place anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Really? Did they say they want to keep AVOD on the 77G fleet? Haven't seen that printed anywhere.
At the moment, there are scant "official" details regarding the upcoming 77G, aside from very general information re: the fact that it will be a two-cabin airplane. Some of the speculation, however, comes from reasonably reliable sources.

I suppose we'll hear more by the end of the year, as reconfigurations are supposed to commence some time in early 2016, I believe.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
At the moment, there are scant "official" details regarding the upcoming 77G, aside from very general information re: the fact that it will be a two-cabin airplane. Some of the speculation, however, comes from reasonably reliable sources.

I suppose we'll hear more by the end of the year, as reconfigurations are supposed to commence some time in early 2016, I believe.
Those reliable sources say AVOD is staying?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:38 am

Guess UA had to fill in those food & beverage cart areas with something else since it was now wasted space not generating revenue since they took away our food!

The person who thought of this is in line to become the next UA CEO
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:45 am

Those reliable sources say AVOD is staying?
Yes. And there is good reason to believe the next-generation BF seat will also be part of the equation. But time will tell...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is the app (a requirement for on-board media buying) as easily hacked as .bomb?
No, and the hack wasn't through the website.

Also a solid no, but thanks for playing.

Is the tablet an improvement over these 2 bad choices?
It is another option. Don't use it if you don't like it.

Install Wifi like the Gulf 3 for the 10hr EWR-HNL & we'll be fine instead of nickel & diming us.
QR has the slowest, most expensive wifi (L-band) on most of the planes it has coverage on at all, which is a much, much smaller pool than UA has long-haul planes equipped. EY has a mix of (slow) L-Band and (better) Ku-band from Panasonic, the same people and kit supplied on the UA planes. And Emirates is mostly L-band as well.

Also, the EWR-HNL is on the 764 with AVOD & power so maybe pick a different route to complain about.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2015 at 3:21 pm Reason: Unneeded persoanal comment removed
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:00 pm

My pretty ignorant opinion of viewing media on one's own device on flights. I hate the idea and this has probably all been said before / and could be false but it feels good to get off my chest

Problems
Dead batteries
how can I eat and watch movie at same time
Have to rest tablet / phone on tray table - this will be an uncomfortable viewing anlge
need to buy viewing case for tablet otherwise it is going to slip and slide everywhere
People play audio without headphone - it is going to happen
It is going to work / it is going to be laggy

I actually like the screens in the headrest apart from when you get a heavy tapper behind you. But even a heavy tapper is better than ruuning out of battery mid flight and not being able to finish your film.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
[clip]
What do people think about the picture quality of the PDE vs AVOD?
[clip
PDE is lower quality ime.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:04 pm

Good luck flying a widebody to Hawaii on Delta.

And soon good luck even getting a 757.

They're adding 739s to the mix for Hawaii runs next year.

Reality is the 2 largest carriers to Hawaii already do this and people love flying AS and Hawaiian.

The future will be tablets in seat backs with power and the hold back there is crash certification for the screens.

AVOD as we know it with bulky in seat components will be obsolete.

IDK -- loaded carts of personal devices on long flight? UA might as well pull the plug on the streaming thing and just add AVOD to the 319/320/739/738 like Delta is doing. They probably should have done that in the first place anyway.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SwisherTown
PDE is lower quality ime.
I've found the PDE to be about the same quality, maybe slightly less than the current Panasonic Eco monitors on the p.s. 757s, 2-cabin 767s and most 787s. On my device, I find the PDE definitely comes through with better quality than the lower-resolution displays on the sCO 757s and sUA 747/767s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.