Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Balancing Awards vs. Earning Status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Balancing Awards vs. Earning Status

What do you all think about the dilemma of balancing earning status with one airline, vs. spending miles on free flights.

For example: I fly around 50-75k miles a year (last year, I barely re-qualified for UA *G with 56k PQMs). I highly value Gold status for the 50% CPU chance, and premier access benefits.

If I were to travel a significant amount on awards, I'd risk jeopardizing my status by not earning enough PQMs & PQDs. And yet, I'm accumulating miles & points with no good way to spend them (up to 300k or so now, half as CSP UR points). I'd love to earn some value from these points, but not at the expense of traveling with Gold status. (Also, this restricts me to UA awards to keep premier access on those trips, unless I travel in J or F.) What do people in this situation usually do?

Last edited by helvetic; Jul 29, 2015 at 12:35 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I use miles mostly for family.
Typically I am on paid travel -- although I do occasional award travel/upgrades.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I'm with WC-USA. I can't fly (much) on award travel and meet the PQM/PQD gates most years. This year, I'm at 140k/$15k, so the calculus may change.

I use my miles for upgrades, family travel and things like inter-island flights in HA. They are also helpful when I get mis-positioned on short notice and need a IAD-ORF or something like that. And the UC.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Welp, you can also use your miles for gift cards. IIRC, 10k award miles will get you $100 on Amazon. Of course, you get $1 for 100 miles.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This, plus vacation travel in *A premium cabin. Last year I did OZ F, LH F, TK J, and TG J and F.

I don't redeem for myself domestic.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I use miles almost exclusively for upgrades - either TCON or international. Given that there's a copay now on p.s., though, I'm beginning to think that I may be better off using them on int'l award tickets for my wife - we almost always travel together, so as long as I maintain Platinum, she can keep boarding with me in Group 1, and the $$ cost of the plane ticket goes down by half.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
What do you all think about the dilemma of balancing earning status with one airline, vs. spending miles on free flights.
RDM's can be purchase for ~2 cents per mile, so redeeming above that threshold begins to make sense. International premium travel on *A partners is IMO the best use of MP miles.

It is convenient to have some miles in your account for last minute/high cost domestic travel. I have experienced where the r/t price was $1,000 and the r/t mileage redemption was 25,000 miles. An easy choice.

Miles will ultimately be de-valued so piling them to the sky does not make a lot of sense.

Book revenue tickets (where it makes financial sense) to the point of earning the status you are looking for. Then do a stricter cost/benefit analysis consideration.

SunLover
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:17 am

After you reach Million Miler status this is no longer a problem and you seriously start burning through your trove of miles.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Welp, you can also use your miles for gift cards. IIRC, 10k award miles will get you $100 on Amazon. Of course, you get $1 for 100 miles.
100.00 Amazon gift card for 10,000 miles. I believe it's at least 16,500.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Typically I am on paid travel -- although I do occasional award travel/upgrades.
^ The same for me (and my family is most appreciative and I get to stay in the will* )

*for now
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
This, plus vacation travel in *A premium cabin. Last year I did OZ F, LH F, TK J, and TG J and F.

I don't redeem for myself domestic.
Same here. To me it's all about using miles for premium Intl. travel.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA
I'm in a similar situation as OP and like Madone59 only redeem for international premium cabin travel (usually, but not exclusively *A). I was also fortunate enough to redeem some free travel to my sister and brother-in-law so they could visit my nephew in Costa Rica.

I enjoy the Gold benefits since I travel between 15-20 RTs per year.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I use miles for vacations and paid travel for work. Clear 1k fairly easily, so there's no balancing act.

The only heartburn I have is that my GPU's may expire because I use miles for international travel / vacations. That and a part of me wants to buy tickets for increased RDM earning and save miles for when I lose status in the future.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
^ The same for me (and my family is most appreciative and I get to stay in the will* )

*for now
Same here. Just flew 7 family members to Hawaii. Not the best $/miles value, but they all said they wouldn't have been able to afford it on their own, and were grateful for a unique family vacation. There's way more personal value in that than I could get redeeming for myself.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
I'm sure united is smiling reading about people like this.

Foregoing thousands in free trips in order to maintain gold status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.