Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Paid for First; United cancelled and rebooked me in coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid for First; United cancelled and rebooked me in coach

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by CLEContinental
I might be way off here, but isn't this a classic DOT complaint (e.g., selling someone "FLY IN FIRST FOR ONLY $XXX", but sticking them in coach?) How can UA consistently get away with advertising a First Class fare, but only providing someone a "in fine print this is a coach ticket with a free upgrade to 1st"?
OP, CLECo is right, its an issue for a DOT (department of transportation) complaint. Link is here: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

explain you paid for, and had a First Class Ticket. They cancelled the flight, refused you passage in First, sent you in Y, then refused to pay any fare difference, sent you a $75 voucher. DOT will forward to United and tell them to fix the issue. A DOT complaint works wonders, gets UA's attention, and at a much higher level than complaining to customer wedon'tcare (where you enter a cue with the 5 Million other folks messed over by UA... )
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So you were personally with the OP when he booked?

I love how everyone assumes* that it was an -UP fare. Based on what we've been told, there is no evidence whatsoever that this was the case. Didn't anybody read the OP? United didn't put the OP in Y because it was an -UP fare, but because F was full on all other flights.

* Remember what happens when you assume...
Presuming you are correct, where is downgrade compensation from UA customer care? UA customer care response leads one to believe that it was an UP fare.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since this was a paid F ticket, and the cancellation reason was maintenance, why didn't the OP insist on a FIM over to another carrier in the F cabin?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
This should be merged with the downgrade compensation thread, which has the answers to all of OPs questions as well. Basically, you're due the fare diff plus a "CS gesture" amount that depends on the length of the flight; IIRC it's more than $75 for ORD-SFO. The fare difference part is even part of the CoC. You should be fine as long as you don't call up and start going off the rails.
Nope. IRROPS rebooking is not a downgrade. No GG OVS DOWNGRADE comp due.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I love how everyone assumes* that it was an -UP fare. Based on what we've been told, there is no evidence whatsoever that this was the case. Didn't anybody read the OP? United didn't put the OP in Y because it was an -UP fare, but because F was full on all other flights.
Yeah I don't think we have facts to conclude this was an UP/UPDI issue. OP says he was told F was full on alternative flights. The UP/UPDI problem is where agent refuses to rebook into open F cabin. Haven't had one of those reports in quite some time.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ninethreer
I bought a full-fare 1st class ticket and United cancelled my flight three hours beforehand for "maintenance" issues. They rebooked me in Economy because there were no seats remaining on any other flights to my destination in First.

I was told by two customer service reps at two airports that I could complain online and get a fare difference.

I complained and asked not only for a fare difference, but also for the difference in PQMs that I was due to earn on my 1st class segment that I didn't because I flew economy.

They refused both and sent me a voucher for $75.

What can I do?

I cannot believe they can treat me like this. I am Premier member, too.

Thanks
OP said that it was a full fare FC ticket. Perhaps it wasn't, but people here shouldn't just assume that it was an -UP fare when the OP said otherwise.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninethreer
I bought a full-fare 1st class ticket and United cancelled my flight three hours beforehand for "maintenance" issues. They rebooked me in Economy because there were no seats remaining on any other flights to my destination in First....They refused both and sent me a voucher for $75.....
Is this a multi-segment itinerary? If so and downgrade is only for one segment, then $75 may well be correct fare difference.@:-)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
If you ask UA they will tell you that you didn't buy full fare first. Rather, you selected first on united.com and, with out telling you, it sold you a coach fair with a 'free' upgrade to First.

I'd dispute the charge on your credit card and let your CC company advocate for you.
Very bad idea.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
why is it bad idea? I would call the CC and tell them that on your receipt it was first class but you were given coach so therefore you did not receive the prodct you purchased.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgodude
why is it bad idea? I would call the CC and tell them that on your receipt it was first class but you were given coach so therefore you did not receive the prodct you purchased.
That's not what CC dispute is for. All UA needs to do is to proof that you have agreed to the charge when you purchased ticket and it was not fraudulent; the dispute will be closed. Why don't you try it? Don't just take my word for it.

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 29, 2015 at 7:06 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope. IRROPS rebooking is not a downgrade. No GG OVS DOWNGRADE comp due.
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. You could also elect to move to a different flight with open F, right?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. You could also elect to move to a different flight with open F, right?
Yes exactly. In IRROPS rebooking, it's often a choice between Y now and F later. Although agents will shorten this to "there are no F seats available" which is much easier than making a comprehensive search for other options.

Downgrade is when you stay on the same flight, but in downgraded cabin.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Perhaps the agent made a mistake between booked class and flown class and though you didnt book full fare F.

Or when you booked, it was advertised as Full Fare, but UA did a sneaky bait and switch you actually got an UP fare.

I'd keep trying HUACA. Did you try submitting a refund request? versus using customer service? If that doesnt work, try UAInsider or twitter.

If you do try a CC dispute, make sure you do it within 60days of the first bill. You could trying claiming "Billing Errors" since you were charged for goods and services that were not delivered as agreed.

Last edited by eng3; Jul 29, 2015 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TerryK
That's not what CC dispute is for. All UA needs to do is to proof that you have agreed to the charge when you purchased ticket and it was not fraudulent; the dispute will be closed. Why don't you try it? Don't just take my word for it.
That's only 1 form of CC dispute. You can dispute CC charges for a number of reasons. One of them is because the product received isn't what you paid for.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Global Entry
I can confirm that the original fare purchased was an F fare. My return flight, which I just took yesterday, was an A fare 1st class ticket.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
DL did something very similar to me on the DC-9 retirement flight from MSP-ATL. I had initially booked a first class ticket. No more than a month before the flight, in classic DL schedule change addiction, they flipped the DC-9 flight and it's time slot with an already well-booked MD-90 flight and it's time slot. I couldn't change my ticket back into first class on the DC-9 since it was now full, and the fare I had booked was an economy fare with a "free upgrade". The best compensation I got was a free cancellation (I don't have status). I used that to rebook on the DC-9 flight with a connection onward to MCO. Ironically that fare was another economy fare with a "free upgrade", but since the DC-9 was full, I only got first class on the MCO leg (which then had a downgrade plane change at the gate). The MSP-ATL leg was a "free" Economy Comfort seat. I wasn't too happy with all that. Typical DL. It was one of the last straws for me with them.

So back to this case. I think the OP should get the PQMs for a real F ticket. $75 shouldn't cover the fare difference though. You need to get more out of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.