Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Have had zero luck on constant checking here, AA is much better with Qantas availability down there. Frequent checking has yielded good results on United in biz, but unfortunately it's a steep cost at 70K miles o/w for 2-4-2 biz on the 772 (versus, for instance, 72.5k miles for Qantas' F on AA )

NZ's premium economy looks pretty attractive and I don't think the mileage upgrade to first is too hefty -- no direct experience though.
*A upgrade awards on NZ are never available. It's not a viable strategy to get into C. As mentioned the most reliable route is via PVG on an award. This year we are going on a 4 ticket itinerary:

SMF-SYD on DL miles (80k)
SYD-CHC on EK ($)
CHC-HNL on NZ ($)
HNL-SMF on UA miles (40k)

Even this was not easy to achieve in the peak dec/jan travel window. I had an award ticket via BKK, PVG, and LAX on UA in J but gave it up. 41 hours in transit wasn't doable.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Platinum
I got four saver GF round trip fares SFO-SYD, and four SYD-AKL saver Biz one ways on NZ (!) two summers ago (winter in New Zealand). Paid for the AKL-ZQN-SYD leg, flying NZ. This was when we were still able to look for award availability on ExpertFlyer. I don't think this can be replicated again
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bryn Fazio Mota
First time posting, sorry if in wrong area!

I'm trying to use miles to fly 2 of us business class from Cleveland, OH to New Zealand with stop in Fiji in April 2016. I've read several things online about booking via Asia, using Fiji as main stop, etc. but really am just spinning my wheels looking at all the ways to try to make it work and thought I'd ask before continuing to spend more hours trying to figure it out.
Although business seats are quite rare on LAX-AKL, one can avoid Asia altogether by connecting in Australia.

There are plenty of business saver-seats available on various days for:

CLE-LAX-SYD-AKL (stopover)
AKL-NAN (destination)
NAN-AKL-SYD-LAX-CLE (return to origin)

Note an overnight stay at SYD is required on the return.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:31 am

Getting to AKL in biz using miles from Asia has never been a problem for us.
Getting to the "Islands" from AKL is virtually impossible in biz but easily doable in the back. Over the past five years I have been able only once to book one seat in the front although we have been frequently upgraded even on award tickets, just a couple of weeks ago out of NAN ( maybe *G helps ). With the short distances, only PPT is a "long" five hour flight, Coach on NZ is absolutely doable and one can pay extra for exit seats etc. It's only 10-20 USD.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
It would be much easier to take out some credit cards that earn AA miles and redeem them on Fiji Airways. I've done this redemption before.

Do you have your heart set on Fiji? UA's Pacific strength is in micronesia. You could have a wonderful, bookable trip to Palau and Yap (part of the Federated States of Micronesia).

Last edited by pinks; Jul 8, 2015 at 5:07 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Getting to AKL in biz using miles from Asia has never been a problem for us.
Getting to the "Islands" from AKL is virtually impossible in biz but easily doable in the back. Over the past five years I have been able only once to book one seat in the front although we have been frequently upgraded even on award tickets, just a couple of weeks ago out of NAN ( maybe *G helps ). With the short distances, only PPT is a "long" five hour flight, Coach on NZ is absolutely doable and one can pay extra for exit seats etc. It's only 10-20 USD.
In contrast to a previous poster, I did not see Any business class availability from either AKL or SYD thru AKL to NAN for the 90 days preceding my departure next May using the UA website's calendar feature. I presume these upgrades occurred at the gate? When I plugged the PNR from NZ into their website, it allowed me to book seats on both the PVG AKL business class section and the AKL NAN econ then errorred out before completing the booking. It did show that I would pay extra for the best seats in econ-which I found mildly irritating since the award is for business class. It has been awhile since I have flown on a split award-should the unicorn of a J seat appear on the ALK NAN segment before my departure, I can call into UA and grab it, correct?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by luckypierre
In contrast to a previous poster, I did not see Any business class availability from either AKL or SYD thru AKL to NAN for the 90 days preceding my departure next May using the UA website's calendar feature. I presume these upgrades occurred at the gate? When I plugged the PNR from NZ into their website, it allowed me to book seats on both the PVG AKL business class section and the AKL NAN econ then errorred out before completing the booking. It did show that I would pay extra for the best seats in econ-which I found mildly irritating since the award is for business class. It has been awhile since I have flown on a split award-should the unicorn of a J seat appear on the ALK NAN segment before my departure, I can call into UA and grab it, correct?
Maybe you misunderstood my post. There is hardly ever ( basically never ) any biz seat available on UA.com offered on the NZ flights from AKL to the "Islands". I myself only found one in five years of searching. My upgrades always happen at the gate, if they happen.So, let's say a NRT-AKL-NAN is always a split award for us. For the leg ex AKL NZ assigns preferred seats in Economy for*G and complimentary food and drinks are included. For extra legroom an additional fee is charged. AKL-NAN was a short flight and doable in an exit seat but the unexpected upgrade at the gate was certainly appreciated.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Although business seats are quite rare on LAX-AKL, one can avoid Asia altogether by connecting in Australia.

There are plenty of business saver-seats available on various days for:

CLE-LAX-SYD-AKL (stopover)
AKL-NAN (destination)
NAN-AKL-SYD-LAX-CLE (return to origin)

Note an overnight stay at SYD is required on the return.
When we go to NZ in 2018, this is exactly how we're going to do it - UA to SYD using award tickets, and paid ticket for the four hours to AKL.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
When we go to NZ in 2018, this is exactly how we're going to do it - UA to SYD using award tickets, and paid ticket for the four hours to AKL.
Ok... But, why not just your award to get all the way to AKL via SYD?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the info! I'm spending time writing all the codes so I can read them . We are not set on Fiji. We've been to Moorea & Bora Bora, and are open to another location so I'll certainly check out others if needed.

To clarify, we are fine with economy for shorter flights - just saved miles for years to go business on the long hall from the US to New Zealand (or SYD on way to NZ).

Indelaware, this is probably a really rookie question - but when entering the CLE-LAX-SYD-AKL (stopover) / AKL-NAN (destination) / NAN-AKL-SYD-LAX-CLE... am I entering on the website a multiple destination of 1) CLE - NZ 2) NZ-NAN 3) NAN-CLE and then the rest comes together when it gives me the options?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:59 pm

Another quick rookie question - when you say that we should look up the legs online and then call United to book (b/c online often won't work), do we need to call about super saver we actually found available online, or will they have additional options that we can't see online and I just give legs and approx dates (b/c they are flexible)?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Because you cannot find any continuation award seats SYD-AKL on NZ. That's what everyone's been saying.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:36 am

Just one additional point to consider: Redeeming miles from Japan/Asia to Oceania is considerably cheaper than terminating in AKL (NZ and AUS ). Don't know if that also applies for awards originating in the U.S.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Because C availability SYD-AKL is pitiful.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
About 9 months ago I tried for weeks to get to NZ using miles in business class. I had absolutely no success getting business all of the way. The best I could produce was using OZ to ICN in J and then ICN to NZ in coach. I decided to go LAX-ICN-SYD using OZ in a combination of F & J and then buying a ticket SYD-NZ. The bonus was I could stop in Seoul before continuing on the SYD. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.