Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help in maximizing earning miles on Asia Trip from SFO in Business Class

Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Dear Experts,
I need help understanding how to maximize earning miles on the Star Alliance network. I will be flying from San Francisco to Taipei to Bangkok to Seoul to Singapore and back to San Francisco. Will be in business class.
Currently I am a united mile silver member.
Which airline/airlines would be give the most miles for this trip? Should I stick to United or which other *A flight may be preferred?
Thanks for the help in advance,
Sunny
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
If you book on *A members thru UA (on 016 ticket number), all miles will be multiplied by fare, which if paid business, should give you decent miles. If booked thru other airline(s), you might get actual miles instead. All broken down under "Earning Miles" on UA website by airline.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If you book on *A members thru UA (on 016 ticket number), all miles will be multiplied by fare, which if paid business, should give you decent miles.
This is dependent upon the UA MP account being registered in the United States. OP hasn't stated where she/he is based.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
For this trip, you'll need to compare the purchasing cost of and potential earnings for

1) Buying the trip through United on 016 ticket stock and flying partner airlines
2) Buying it through another source not as a United ticket, and earning based on distance flown.

I'm guessing that #2 will be cheaper, and may even earn you more miles (with 150% on some partners for paid business).

Ultimately you should fly what works best for your schedule. Note that going BKK-ICN-SIN is quite a bit of backtracking. If you could switch SIN and ICN that would save you significant time. On this routing, I'd look to do Eva Air SFO-TPE and Singapore SIN-ICN and ICN-SFO.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Your routing comes to 21607 miles (via gcmap: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-tpe...cn-sin-nrt-sfo - I put a stop in NRT on your way back to SFO from SIN since you can't do SIN-SFO direct). If you assume paid business on partners (non-016 stock) averages out to 150% mileage credit to keep it easy (some could be higher if it's not a discount business fare, some will be lower - e.g. EVA maxes out at 125%), that would yield 32410. + you get a 25% bonus as a Silver which adds another 5402. So total 37812.

If it were all on 016 stock (which as others have noted could mean a more expensive ticket), the breakeven would be that figure /7, which comes to $5402 (taxes, etc. not included). If you spend more than that amount - which I think is reasonably likely given the number of stops in your itinerary - then booking via United on 016 would yield more miles.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:02 pm

Also, don't forget if based in US and with the fare multiplier, you may also run into an issue with capping out on miles earned. I've had to separate my last flight to Asia since if I ticketed it as one ticket, I would have reached the cap and lost some miles.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
+ you get a 25% bonus as a Silver
Only on UA or NH flights on that side of the world. Most partner flights do not earn elite bonus miles. :-:
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Indelaware
This is dependent upon the UA MP account being registered in the United States.
No, the earnings are the same regardless of address. All a foreign address gets you is a PQD exemption.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Only on UA or NH flights on that side of the world. Most partner flights do not earn elite bonus miles. :-:
Good point. Just tilts the equation even more in favor of United over partners.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dank0014
Also, don't forget if based in US and with the fare multiplier, you may also run into an issue with capping out on miles earned. I've had to separate my last flight to Asia since if I ticketed it as one ticket, I would have reached the cap and lost some miles.
Why does United even have this policy? It seems to be most constraining on the best customers - high ticket price and GS or 1K.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by drewguy
Why does United even have this policy? It seems to be most constraining on the best customers - high ticket price and GS or 1K.
Because if you earned more than 75,000 miles, it can quickly become a buy one get one free system and that's not conducive to earning the revenue that those high value customers produce.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.